British with american SO - VOLTAGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British with american SO - VOLTAGE

A few of you may have seen my thread asking how to prepare for my trip to the states in 17 days.

A topic was brought up in my thread about voltage converters for my hair straighteners. Now i am pooping my pants.

I need to know how what why and where.

Do i actually need a voltage comnverter for my straighteners? If so where can i get one from as i cant find one for my straighteners. What did you do when you went over the the states?

PLEASE let me know as soon as you can!

Buy a voltage converter when you arrive in the US. They are bulky and heavy and I wouldn't recommend for you to take one in your luggage.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
      Buy a voltage converter when you arrive in the US. They are bulky and heavy and I wouldn't recommend for you to take one in your luggage.
      That did cross my mind, Its just frustrating because ive hearing one thing to another :/

Comment

What else have you heard?

A converter is also more than likely to be cheaper in the US as well.

Comment

My friend went to the US and she said my straighteners will be fine without a converter ill just need an adapter.

Ive then heard it wouldnt. someone then told me to buy straighteners out there. i just honestly dont know what to do for the best! its my first trip by myself such a long way and im trying to make everything run smoothly

Comment

Read the label/box of the hair straightener (or even google the model) to find out its voltage capabilities. Most devices that aren't power intensive are designed to work from 100V-240V anyway (like laptops and what have you).

If you have a really good hair straightener, put $10 or $20 into a converter if it won't work. The straightener won't fry if you plug it into the power point if it doesn't work, it will just not turn on because their isn't enough power going into it.

You will also need an adapter regardless so get one of those too!
            Last edited by Tooki; May 7, 2013, 06:03 AM.

Comment

adapter is on the listt to get over the weekend,

i think i might just buy a converter while im over there like you mentioned! less for me to worry about then that way i know they will work i guess

Comment

Like Tooki said, read the label on your straightener to see if it'll work with American voltage. Most straighteners will not work for both countries. When I went to live in France for 6 months, I just bought a hair straightener there. Depending on how fancy a straightener you need, or how thick your hair is, it might be cheaper to just buy a new one. There are straighteners at places like walmart for $10-20. Just looking at this first page, I see 6 straighteners under $20 that get 4 stars.

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
                  I see 6 straighteners under $20 that get 4 stars.
                  Thank you i've just had a look! Well im used to using GHDS but my hair doesnt NEED them. i may aswel bring my pair and just incase but then purchase some for then i go back and forth to meet my SO anyways!

I really appreciate that thank you Mllebamako

Comment

Working...
                  X