Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking up or not?

Hello everyone!

This will be my first post, and a pretty long one, on Sunday we broke up with my girlfriend -whom I love till death, we connect, we finish each other sentences for real and so on-, on mutual agreement. I really need some objective opinions and advices if we should break up with my gf or not, please, help me.
    If you dont want to bother with the long post, Im making the important lines with bold fonts written, so those what i need adice on.

I'm 23 now, my girlfriend is 20. It was a quite hollywood story, how we met.

Both of us love to folk dance, and doing it since childhood, performing with group around country and Europe. So, middle of August, 2011 there was a huge fold dance competition taken place in Poland, groups from over 10 countries came to win the first place. All of the groups were living in the same area, just different apartaments.
    On the day after we arrived, night, we (few guys of the group) decided to go out, and explore the "opportunities", and the apartament next to us was our first choice, we went inside, there were like 2 people, chatting, and were surprised what r we searching there? We told where we came from, and looking for some party. :X So the lady told us, she happens to be the boss of the Serbian group, and she will tell her group that some hungarian guys are here.
    Yes, thats right, I'm from Hungary.
    Minutes after, some girls and boys came downstairs, few of them sat by our table, some of them went to other. And there was she, by our table, my beautiful serbian dreamgirl. Have to admit tho, at first I didnt pay too much attention to her, so she went mad, and took it as a challenge, since i was so pissing her off.
    And then I started to enjoy our little game, which ended up that we talked the whole night through, made out, and went to her room which she shared with few girls, but they made it free for us, we just talked there, and had fun in chatting till morning like with no1 before. Nothing intimate happened.
    After this day we met every days until we were in Poland, which means from Saturday till Friday. Then we headed home, to home country, I searched her on facebook and we are chatting ever since then, daily basis.
    We managed to meet around every months, sometimes 1,5 months for a couple of days (4-7). When we meet, we feel like we wouldn't ever be apart, like we were always together, it's a crazy feeling, we feel so natural with each other.

So, here comes the topic subject:she's from Serbia, I'm from Hungary. Shes finishing the second year in medical school in Serbia, I have 1-1.5 years finishing engineer school at Hungary. We are communicating on english. We use Skype daily, but only to chat, we never voice call or phone call, rarely (means 1 per like 2 months) use the webcam. Although, we text each other daily, couple of messages, sometimes more, sometimes less. We share vereything.
    The serbian culture is by far more conservative than by us, hungarians. I kinda know the circumstances now, and have to say it's really strickt with the girls especially. Her family is even worse. By the age of 20 she doesnt have much rights, she's being handled as a child, still, which she says will be like for 1-2-3 years, still.

Also, she made a mistake not telling her parents she met me in 2011, ever since then she didn't tell them. Now, she's just afraid of them telling, and being more and more afraid, I think its an evil circle now. She just afraid they would worry for her so much, if she wouldnt finish school because of me, and so on and on. I know her totally, and I understand her and I know that she really thinks this, however I do think as well, that she's making an elephant of this, but can't change this. :\
    Because she's not telling, and she told me she wont be able to for quite some time (maybe year)
    more, she can't travel to me, to Hungary, I'm going all the time, which makes things difficult, since the travel takes 8 hours by train, and she lives in a dorm, so she has to rent a flat for those days we meet, every single time. We were going to this same guy's flat always, but she says she feels totally uncomfortable now, feels like a hooker when she goes to rent the place. Unfortunately, we cant go to her dorm, she doesnt own a flat, and she can't come to me, Hungary, so...no other options but this.
    For the record, all of her friends know me about, so it's not that she's ashamed of me or whatever, if youl wouldn't believe.

She feels stressed of this. She also getting ruined by the weight of her secret, not telling her parents, but shes just afraid to do so. She feels few times to chat boring, to sit in front of laptop.
    Her friends can't believe that I wouldn't be cheating on her, so they start to put this bug on her, too.
    She says, she need me everyday now, it's too little what we can spend in person, she want me more and its killing her.
    Also, when she watches some couples, she thinks it could be us, and how much she wants to have these moments with me, to call me because she just needs a hug, comforting, or kiss me, but she cant...we cant go out to party with my friends or hers, and that these are so basic things, but we cant have.
    She says she might will miss these thoughts more with time to time.
    I think the worst thing for her is the uncertainity, we can't know when we could close the distance, or change on things to be "better". It easily can be year or years, and we just don't know. Or if we will be able ever to close...

Our honeymoon phase lasted 1 whole year, almost exactly, and I believe it would even more, but from last Septembre I had pretty much bad things happening in my life, which took me down, before that I was happy, ALWAYS positive, patient, and exciting. From last September till December I was like exchanged, total opposite. Even know I'm still recovering to the old myself.
    Because of I'm being unpatient and often tired, fights became more recent, almost regular. We kinda went more distant...
    Before it she was afraid by every tiny fight that we will break up, and wanted to solve it right away, not leaving angry or mad, and in the end we finished happy, the fights were gone.
    But this Sept-Dec period she became tired of them, became whatever, it was like a normal thing, to fight, and go to sleep unsolved.

We talked this through around this year March, and she told me she's not in that crazy love as she were, obviosuly, she still love me a lot, but these fights ruined us, so we decided to change, and go back to the old us. I think we made it, but the little love loss and happiness loss caused that these thoughts are stronger in her, that she starts to envy of the close distance couples. She also mentioned the costs, we have to take.

I also realised, that trhough my bad period, I wasn't giving the same affection, at all. Telling her I love and care and miss...and just talk to her like that.
    I think if I'd give her all these again, we could get back close to the honeymoon phase, and she would be happier, so we could function nice again, without these bad thoughts being so much in the focus.

So anyway, as I told we broke up at Sunday, I took it officially, she asked to be friends and chat and even text, still. I said okay. Right after, on Monday and Tuesday we were chatting, texting, kinda like flirting, as we always did. I still took it as official breakup, but on Tuesday it turned out, she didn't yet, she thought I still want her, she thought we are on a longer break, but still texting, and after...well, she doesn't know what then. Since she knows, she can't change on the things above, for a long time, and doesn't know if she could still take this long distance relationship, without the physical part being recent.

I have a feeling, that if I'd tell her to get together, she'd say yes. I just don't know, what is the smart or right or simply good decision to make...To get together, and live like this or breakup.
    My brain tells breakup, my heart says not a chance, because we feel we are the right ones for each other, soulmates, which can't get any better...just there are these problems, these unfortunate circumstances we are living in, and we can't know for how long they will be there...

Please, help, and thank you!
    Last edited by WhyMe; May 8, 2013, 10:00 AM.

I'm going to be BRUTALLY honest. I think breaking up is for the best here, considering you have already broken up.

Having an LDR takes a lot of maturity and strength - all of the issues you just mentioned are things that ALL of us in LDRs have to deal with; telling parents, not knowing when the distance will end, having things hold you back from being able to be together, money, missing your partner like crazy - We ALL go through this here on the forums. Some of us LDRs also have ridiculous time differences and near impossible visa requirements to contend with... it all comes with the territory of an LDR and you can handle it, or you can't.

It sounds to me like you guys need to focus on your own lives and take this break up seriously. She isn't going to tell her parents any time soon by the sounds of it and you guys can't handle the basic LDR pressures that come with this kind of relationship.. Either that or you BOTH commit 100% to the relationship, it ain't easy but you just DO all the hard yards if it's worth it to you.

If you're going to stay broken up you really need to stop talking to her - it'll do you both more harm than good.
    Met Online: February 2009
    Feelings grew: January 2011
    First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
    Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
    Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
    Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
    Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
    Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
    Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
    Engaged: 1st of July 2012
    Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
    Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
    Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
    Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
    Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
    Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

Hey!

I took ur advice, in the end it will be good for us I think, so we stayed broken up. Now, thing is, she asked if we can stay friends, bcause she'd want to hear about me, know whats up with me, how I am living my days, and just chat in general. She says I was his best friend, which I feel, too. So, we really broke up on mutual agreement, we both love each other a lot, and miss.
      We were talking about, that in few years, when we r more mature and she would be ready for us, then we would meet with each other, and get back together. I'd really want this, so we almost like promised this to each other.
      We agreed to not to chat for 5-7 days at all, but she said we could still share some songs or funny videos, at least.

Now, Id like to ask ur opinion, about all these, also about sharing videos-songs when no contact for a week, and also that should I stay friends with her, if I'd really want to hook up with her later, or should i go with no contact for weeks-months. If I'd stay friends with her, wouldn't it put me into friendzone, and she would lost her loving feelings for me?

What would be smart thing to do?

Comment

Don't put a lot of effort into her. Live your life, do things as you would without her in your life.

I would not 'wait' for her either. If you find a girl locally, go be with her. If down the line, your ex is open to telling her parents about you and it feels right, pursue the relationship again. The important thing is to not prioritise her in your life.

Comment

I was not willing to prioritise her, and put too much effort, also meant to find new relationship for myself, I will live my life, we agreed on meeting new people, too.

In future when we would meet again, more matured, means she's ready to tell parents and all such.

Now, Id like to ask ur opinion, about all these, also about sharing videos-songs when no contact for a week, and also that should I stay friends with her, if I'd really want to hook up with her later, or should i go with no contact for weeks-months. If I'd stay friends with her, wouldn't it put me into friendzone, and she would lost her loving feelings for me?
          I'm primarily seeking advice on this one.
          Last edited by WhyMe; May 11, 2013, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WhyMe View Post
            I was not willing to prioritise her, and put too much effort, also meant to find new relationship for myself, I will live my life, we agreed on meeting new people, too.

In future when we would meet again, more matured, means she's ready to tell parents and all such.

I'm primarily seeking advice on this one.
            I think the most damaging thing you can do to yourself in a break up is to not take the break up seriously. Which I think is what you and she are doing.

Trying to stay friends when you readily admit that when you talk you're still flirtatious shows that you're not ready to be just friends. Trying to stay friends immediately after a break up is very very difficult, takes a lot of maturity, and actually, unless you've been married, or have children, is not something you should seek. For your own personal benefit, you should stay away. How are you supposed to move on if all the things you love about each other are still right there in front of you? You can't. You need space and time to heal yourself and not depend on each other the same way you did when you were together.

On top of that, saying "We'll get back together one day" is also damaging. It stops you moving on properly because there's going to be that thought at the back of your head that you still belong to each other. If you've broken up, start to believe you've broken up for good. Otherwise, you'll just compare other relationships to her, you'll keep wanting to be a part of each others' lives. If you've already decided not to be involved with one another romantically, because you can't handle the LDR, it's best for you to make decisions based on THAT, and not based on some idea that one day it'll all work out.

The problem with staying in touch and thinking you'll get back together is that you guys will get trapped in a vicious cycle. You'll keep hurting each other, because neither of you will be ready to break away from each other, but equally, neither of you will want to get back together. And one day, one of you will have moved on, and then for the person who's left behind, the break up becomes as fresh as it was now. The confusion and upset of not quite knowing where you and she are really at can only be a negative influence in your life. Nothing good can come from trying to be halfway there. It's either together, or not together. And if you're not together, you need to behave like you're not together. If you're both serious about this break up, take it seriously.

Comment

I think you've received some good advice but I wanted to chime in about a few things. I am 32 years old and my SO is 28. Still, he didn't tell his mother about me for over a year... Now she knows about me and it causes sooo many problems in his life. We can't skype without her starting to yell at him from the other side of his door. For someone of my culture, this is ridiculous and I would have long ago moved out... but he is Iranian (been in the US for 3 years) and in his culture, this sort of behavior is not unheard of... In this sort of situation, I can understand not telling her parents, until you had a plan for how to close the distance it really could make things worse. (My SO's mother is actually trying to push him to marry someone else these days!)

For now, I think you are best to stay broken up and not to invest in your friendship too much. That being said, if things change and you two are ready to be together (my SO and I took several months apart last summer, and it helped us in some ways, but caused other things we still are working on...) make sure that in your case telling her parents is the right move... Would she be strong enough to deal with their disapproval and telling her to break up with you every day the way my SO has to deal with?
              First met online: June, 2010
              First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
              Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
              Third visit together: August, 2012
              Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
              Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
              Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
              Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

So, we should go with pure and total no contact, right, and anyway, friendship wouldn't mean friendzoned as I see?!

And thank you for the advices, it just sucks to hear it...as all this does. Breaking up when we love and dont have problems with each other besides the distance is the most cruel thing I can imagine of...

I think I'm not ready to move on, because of this, also not wanting, at all. I'd like to believe we will meet in future at one point, and dont want to forget.
                Although this being said, I think I will be able to move on, in one way or another.

Would she be strong enough to deal with their disapproval and telling her to break up with you every day the way my SO has to deal with?
                She's definitely not strong enough now, because of mainly those reasons you've mentioned above. She wouldn't be able to take it, and in the end, I think you are right. Noone mentioned this to me
                until you had a plan for how to close the distance it really could make things worse.
                , and even I didn't think of it this way, however I really understand her. Thank you, seems like we are in a very similar situation.
                With years I believe she will be strong to tell, and then I will have a plan, too, just not now...
                Last edited by WhyMe; May 11, 2013, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X