I don't know what I'm doing anymore...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what I'm doing anymore...

I ended things last night with my SO in a tearful break up.

I didn't want to do it, but after reading many stories here and thinking about our relationship, I realized I had to set foot in reality. Our distance may be 6000 miles now but starting next year it will change to 11000 miles or more (once I move back to Macau). It'll be extremely hard to meet because of the flight costs and the time difference is crazy (12/13 hours). I would be ok with this if it was temporary, despite my need for physical contact, but the thing is... this can last forever.

I explained to my SO how I couldn't live in his country as my mom only has me and I need to be close to her, to take care of her when the time comes and my mom is a sick person. If it was anywhere in Asia, it would be fine but he's way over in South America... So he told me, he was willing to come live with me in Macau and I was happy to hear that, though worried because I know he would suffer having to leave his family and friends. That, however, couldn't be in less that 5 years since his scholarship made him work a couple of years after finishing his studies. Just recently I realized how difficult it would be for him to live in Macau. Spanish is practically useless in Macau, only those who spoke really well Cantonese, English and Portuguese would be able to move there. My SO speaks English but his English is weak and he commits many mistakes so there was no way he could be an English instructor or get a job which relied on only English. Almost no one is interest to learn Spanish so that's out of the question too as the schools in Macau are not looking for such teachers. I say this because my SO is studying education... If he came flying blinding to Macau jobless he would have a VERY hard time finding a job as it is already difficult for those who don't speak Cantonese.

Then the closing the distance issue... the visas and whatnot. It would be hard for him to move to Macau without thinking about the jobs already. I were together for almost a year and at the time when we started I found out that he had to stay in his country for at least 6 years, 5 years now. That is a long time to wait and I'm an impatient person, but I thought my SO was worth it so I waited and held onto the hope of us meeting and then closing the distance. But closing the distance seems far from being possible now. It's not impossible but real close to that. The way I see it, it may very well take 7 to 8 years from now, even more, if we could actually find a way to close the distance. He's 27 and I'm going to be 23 next month... we'd be in our thirties and still in a LDR. I don't think I could handle it.

I tried looking for solutions, investigating on the internet but I'm coming empty-handed. It's not a matter of not having feelings for my SO but I do, but this is overwhelming me. If left to my SO to decide he would be alright with the long distance even if took many decades... but I can't take that. I wish there was an easier way. I wish it didn't hurt so much. I wish I didn't have to feel this weak.

I've met my SO and he was the best thing I could ask for. He's just... perfect. He cherishes me so much, he has a perfect family, great friends... when I think about it, I don't want to ruin that by being selfish. It was so hard to let him go yesterday night and I couldn't stop crying but I felt it's something I needed to do. He told me he still loved me and respected my decision and I felt pathetic apologizing so much. Both of us felt at fault and even tried to lighten the mood to make the other feel better even through tears. It was one of the hardest things I had to do in my entire life... letting go of someone so precious to me.

I know we'll still talk and be friends (as I know my SO, my now ex, well) but I feel I need the space in order to get over him... My brain tells me I needed to do it, that our feelings for each other alone couldn't make reality happen. Yet, why do I feel I did something so wrong... I still want to be with him but this love is impossible...

Looking for the future...

First Meeting: March 20 2016
    Got separated: August 2016
    Reunion: July 2017
    Officially together: January 2018
    ... And many meetings later ...

nothing is impossible, only if you let it...
    never the less it must have been hard and i wish you luck!

Comment

How did your SO feel about the split? Maybe you just need some thinking space alone to sort things through. Can you see yourself with anyone else?

Comment

I personally think you got overwhelmed and jumped the gun too soon. Have you tried talking to the people who are in international LDRs? Its tough but not impossible. The things you talk about are minor and can be worked around. My SO and I have been together for 2 1/2 years and wont be able to close the distance until another year at least, that's means 4 years in LDR status but he is worth waiting for. I'd wait forever if I had to.
        Last edited by Black_Halloween; May 11, 2013, 09:54 AM.
        Made it official: 12-01-10
        First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
        Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Halloween View Post
          I personally think you got overwhelmed and jumped the gun too soon. Have you tried talking to the people who are in international LDRs? Its tough but not impossible. The things you talk about are minor and can be worked around. My SO and I have been together for 2 1/2 years and wont be able to close the distance until another year at least, that's means 4 years in LDR status but he is worth waiting for. I'd wait forever if I had to.
          I have to agree.

I don't want to diminish your concerns and anxieties BUT its like Black Halloween said. You really just need to sit down, come to terms with how you feel and develop not only a physical plan but an emotional one.

Comment

I would make a concrete plan of the pro's and con's of the situation and the possibility of closing the distance and when.

I do understand how you feel about not being able to close the distance in the short term/expensive flights. If my GF and I were unable to close the distance within the next 2 or so years, we wouldn't maintain the relationship as it is.

Comment

If he is willing to move there in 5 years then it is not impossible. The question is can you wait that long? It sounds like you don't want too. There are some on here with that kind of distance and they have survived it. He has 5 years to learn the English language better to get a job when he moves there. It does sound like you are stating to make rationalizations for reasons for the break-up. If you love him enough is the question. That is what you need to decide.
              "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I think if he is making you happy, and you feel he is the one for you, as you are the one for him, you should fight for it. If he can't move over to you - then you move there, and take your mom with you!! Yes it won't be easy but that's what it is and since you can't change it, you have to find a way around it You may find it the logical solution to break it off now because you are troubled and sad, but think - are you going to be happy without him in your life? Will you be able to build a new life in your home land, while still having the feelings you have? Hope you come up with a solution that makes you happy

Comment

I've been through this. My SO and I have broken off so often... usually for like a day or two before we realized how stupid we were being... but last spring, we broke up for several months... The obstacles were all too big and we had other problems to work through and it all seemed impossible...

The thing is it really isn't easy and if you feel you can walk away, maybe you should... My SO and I had that discussion just last night... we don't know what the future has in store for us, but whatever the solution it will be difficult... Like you, my SO has his mother to look after (and I can't move because of my kids)... but the way I look at it, at this time, I can't just give up... I'm willing to give it more work... I am willing to make a plan for the best possible chance for us in the future. For us it means to work on our financial future... He is going to be working on his English by taking some classes in college.

If you have the courage to do it, and try for the future, then I think having a plan and steps will really help. Like having your SO take English courses (A lot of progress can be reached in 5 years! My SO has made amazing progress with his English in just the past 3 years without even trying... mostly just by talking with me... )

But if you feel you can walk away and not be plagued be regrets and "what if"s you maybe should do it... There are probably some other, much easier, paths in life that can also make you happy... If however you think it's worth it, then just remember:

First met online: June, 2010
                  First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
                  Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                  Third visit together: August, 2012
                  Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                  Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
                  Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
                  Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Hello! That portuguese girl here... I have to agree with those who said you should think more about it... I think there is always a chance.
                    First, what if your SO tried to find a job by the internet in Macau? That's what I will do too. So if he moves, he can move with a job on his sleeve, so to say. And companies really need spanish speakers! Believe me. And maybe he could move to Asia? I don't think it is worth it to give up such a deep love...

The portuguese speaking people in macau don't learn spanish at scool? he could be a tutor! Just until you work things out...

One film which relates to your story is the already classic for LDR "like crazy". I think in the end it will give you an answer.
                    I wish you all the best!

Um abraço e força, vai tudo ficar bem!

Comment

I'm going to disagree with everyone else and tell you that you probably did the right thing. Yeah, love is great and everything, but it absolutely does not conquer all, I'm sorry to say, and definitely can't always conquer the logistics of international LDR's.

I do agree that you should give it more thought, but if you can't move to him, and it'll be 5+ years before he can move to you, and even then, probably won't be able to find work, realistically there may not be many other options here. 5 years is a long time, especially for anyone hoping to get married and start a family, and if he finally was able to move, not finding work and not speaking the common language, plus cultural differences can leave one feeling very isolated and alone. Those are things that need very serious discussions and consideration, you don't want to wait that long only to have him be absolutely miserable in your country.

Think about it some more, but it's OK if you can't do 5 more years, that doesn't make you weak, it means you know yourself well enough to know where to draw the line. It also means you're strong enough to do what you think is right, even if it hurts.
                      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                        I'm going to disagree with everyone else and tell you that you probably did the right thing. Yeah, love is great and everything, but it absolutely does not conquer all, I'm sorry to say, and definitely can't always conquer the logistics of international LDR's.

I do agree that you should give it more thought, but if you can't move to him, and it'll be 5+ years before he can move to you, and even then, probably won't be able to find work, realistically there may not be many other options here. 5 years is a long time, especially for anyone hoping to get married and start a family, and if he finally was able to move, not finding work and not speaking the common language, plus cultural differences can leave one feeling very isolated and alone. Those are things that need very serious discussions and consideration, you don't want to wait that long only to have him be absolutely miserable in your country.

Think about it some more, but it's OK if you can't do 5 more years, that doesn't make you weak, it means you know yourself well enough to know where to draw the line. It also means you're strong enough to do what you think is right, even if it hurts.
                        ^ 100% this.

Comment

I'm with moon, love unfortunately isn't everything. Sometimes practicalities win and even if you love somebody as much as anyone can, that won't always last if circumstances are against you or if your life goals (children mainly) dont match with life in a LDR.

Comment

Originally posted by redapple View Post
                            I'm with moon, love unfortunately isn't everything. Sometimes practicalities win and even if you love somebody as much as anyone can, that won't always last if circumstances are against you or if your life goals (children mainly) dont match with life in a LDR.
                            I also agree with Moon...
                            5 years is just a crazy amount of time and with such a big distance and the feelings you describe, you will feel hurt, empty and alone a lot of the time.
                            But definitely think about it, search for more options.. but if in the end there really is no feasible option.. well... You only live once! (totally different use of YOLO)

Comment

I think you did the right thing. Sometimes distance *is* too much and love can't conquer all, as much as people want it to. And it doesn't mean you love your SO any less, or that you are weak. You're just being realistic and very brave. Good luck. xo

Comment

Working...
                              X