9 hrs of traveling, what to wear???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9 hrs of traveling, what to wear???

I'm curious....what did everyone wear the day that they first met their SO? Were you dressed up, dressed down, comfortable? I have no idea what I'm going to wear. My flight leaves at 8:47. I have to be there 1 1/2 hours early and I have an hour drive to the airport, which means I have to leave my house by 6. I have a total of 9 hours of traveling with a two hour layover. I would love to wear yoga type of pants with just a t-shirt and tennis shoes but I really don't want that to be his first impression of me. I'm sure I'm overthinking everthing but I want things to be perfect

I wore comfy jeans, sneakers, a nice shirt, small sweater and scarf. I went to the bathroom and fixed myself up a bit before heading to where he was waiting for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Laural007 View Post
      I'm curious....what did everyone wear the day that they first met their SO? Were you dressed up, dressed down, comfortable? I have no idea what I'm going to wear. My flight leaves at 8:47. I have to be there 1 1/2 hours early and I have an hour drive to the airport, which means I have to leave my house by 6. I have a total of 9 hours of traveling with a two hour layover. I would love to wear yoga type of pants with just a t-shirt and tennis shoes but I really don't want that to be his first impression of me. I'm sure I'm overthinking everthing but I want things to be perfect
      You know regular uggs right? I have the inside/outside slipper low rise knock offs. I love them to travel in. Slip on and off for security easily, wear socks, and comfy on aching feet for trucking around airports with luggage. I did not wish to appear like I was trying to hard so for me it was...., jeans, the cute pink fake uggs slippers with rubber soles not indoor only ones, and a pink shirt and and long light gray cardigan with faux fur collar. Nice hair and light make up and jewelry and hit potty for face and hair check right before they stop you in plane. A nice spritz of some bath and body works spray in nice too if you like that.
      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I wore the perfect dress. It was a maxi dress and super comfortable yet classy and sexy... It is one piece of material so going through security was a breeze... and it felt like lounging in pajamas! I don't think I have any pictures...
        First met online: June, 2010
        First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
        Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
        Third visit together: August, 2012
        Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
        Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
        Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
        Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Wear something comfortable! Being in something uncomfortable that long is just not worth it. I wore flats, jeans and a nice shirt under a jacket, but my flats turned out to be a size too small, and my feet were dying... :P I think next time I'm just going to wear tights, flip-flops or a pair of flats that actually fit, and a nice top... or a comfortable dress, since he likes dresses and skirts. Keeping hair acceptable during flights is basically impossible, so I brought a comb and some hair accessories with me in my carry-on so I could stop in the bathroom before going out to see him (although it was of very little help).
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I have a similar amount of traveling to do! I'm leaving for a weekend trip to see my SO this Friday. However, I will spending one night at the hotel and will see him that morning, so I suppose it won't matter so much what I wear on my flights. I was planning on a soft, loose sweater, yoga pants, and my TOMs. I plan on wearing a super cute dress I bought on Modcloth when I finally get to see him.

But for your situation... How about a softer cottony dress? I have a few I like to wear in the spring/summer. It's like a flowy, comfortable material... I don't know if you know what I'm talking about. Similar to how yoga pants feel? Material wise I mean. I think maxi dresses are generally made with this type of fabric.

Comment

Definitely dress comfortably! You can still look nice while being comfy. Do you own leggings? I know people say they're not pants, but I wear them as pants all the time. =P Even yoga pants with a cute top and uggs can be nice! Do your makeup and touch up in the bathroom if you need. He will think you are beautiful no matter how you look! Also, he realizes you just traveled 9 hours and that you'll be exhausted. Have fun and try not to stress too much! Your fears will melt away the second you see him! =]

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

i am having a break down about the same situation but with me i would be up and traveling for a total of 20 hours. including getting to the airport, layover and flights. i was going to travel in sweatpants and converses and then change into jeggins/skinny jeans for my last 2 hour flight. But now i think i've decided to go in just converses a cute top and a cardigan and converses. its going to be 9pm when i get to my SO airport. then we have a 2-3 hour drive to his friends place in Iowa. Dude im dressing comfy for that LOL.

Laura dont panic. i know aslong as my hair looks half decent and my makeup looks cool. that will dress up whatever your wearing anyways excited for you xxx

Comment

I wore black sweatpants (they are the nice kind that look like dress pants but made of sweats material) and a white loose blouse and regular black shoes. On my last layover, I put on a dressy black blazer and low heels. It was a casual-dressy look. He knows I'm a laid-back casual sweatpants kinda gal so he wasn't expecting the dressier look, and he liked it a lot!
                  February 2012 -- met online
                  August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
                  April 2013 -- met in person
                  June 2013 -- broke up
                  July 2013 -- back together
                  August 2013 -- 2nd visit
                  October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
                  April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Comment

I agree with everyone has said - COMFORTABLE is your priority!

I've always had a 24 hour trip to my SO and every time I've worn a comfy dress with leggings, a cardigan and flats (shoes). I usually wear a light singlet under the dress and bring a spare in-case I feel like I need a little freshening up with a new singlet under the dress. I also bring a spare pair of socks and underwear in my carry-on (24 hours travel.. sometimes you need to change )
                    Met Online: February 2009
                    Feelings grew: January 2011
                    First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
                    Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
                    Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
                    Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
                    Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
                    Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
                    Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
                    Engaged: 1st of July 2012
                    Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
                    Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
                    Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
                    Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
                    Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
                    Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

I think I'll keep an eye on this thread because I'll also have a 24+ hour flight (anything up to 46 hours :| Think I'll be trying to avoid that when I book!) which doesn't include travel time to and from airports and getting through customs. Obviously comfort is going to be my priority and I daresay I may end up changing during a stopover I'm more worried about what to wear leaving my 30 degree Summer and entering a -10 degree Winter! I'll need to pack a nice heavy coat in carry-on I think

"My arms will be your prison" - My Boyfriend [♥] Our LDR Blog!

Started Talking - October 2012
                      Started Dating - 08.11.12
                      First Meeting - 08.12.13 - 39 days together
                      Second Meeting - 16.12.15 - 31 days together

Rosetta Stone Progress
                      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                      22 / 60

Comment

I'd probably wear a cute pair of yoga pants, a tops and a hoodie. I've flown for 17 hours in a dress once and it almost killed me.

Comment

I think I wore a jersey dress, leggings, and a long scarf when I went to visit my SO. I was comfortable and looked cute, although I was freezing for half of my trip!

Comment

When I 'first' met (I say 'first', because we already HAD met, it was just the first time in about 5 years), I rocked up pretty much the roughest I've ever looked in my life. I'd been travelling round his country for a bit, and it was just after the Japanese Tsunami, and so there was loads of flooding and problems in Aus with travel. I'd travelled half a day by coach, got dropped off in a town I'd never heard of, had to pay for an impromptu flight because of the flooding (the last seat on the last plane of the day - lucky) to make it to the next airport I had to be at to get my flight early the next morning to meet him. I had to sleep in the airport because there wasn't really any time to get into town and get a hostel bed for the night, I'd fallen out with my friend I'd been travelling with before I'd left on the coach, so I was tired, angry, and definitely looked like I'd spent a day and a half tearing my hair out, crying and having my last nerve frazzled to pieces.

And despite looking my absolute worst on one of the worst days of travelling I've ever had, he still wanted me. Safe to say, pretty much anything you wear will be acceptable. I agree with everyone that comfort is a must, but when it comes down to it, those of us in LDRs are more excited to see the person than the clothes. So I wouldn't worry too much.

Comment

What I'd always do when we'd be flying back and forth was bring a change of clothes on my carryon. I only fly in yoga pants!! And then when I'm waiting for my luggage to come, I nip into the toilet and change, freshen up, and then go meet him

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                              Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Working...
                              X