Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feel bad for my boyfriend and his new job..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feel bad for my boyfriend and his new job..

My boyfriend is a firefighter in training or a "rookie/probie" as they call him. He's begun to tell me all the mess he's going to have to deal with in his probationary year. Pretty much he's treated slavelike, in my opinion and will probably be pranked a lot. I'm a bit irritated knowing how he's to be treated just cause he's new but I know its a normal thing for newbies. Here's the deal, his older coworker firemen advised him not to mention me to the younger firemen because apparently they will rag on him about me and talk a bit vulgar about me to him. I'm a bit hesitant to even consider mailing him stuff right now cause I'm afraid they'll tease him about it. Going to take some time to get used to his new lifestyle and all but I just would like some words of encouragement. I fully support him in what he's doing and love him so much.

I really don't see what's so bad about this? In any career you have to be "hazed" or jump through hoops to gain some sort f respect as not be treated like an underdog. And..., I think since he's in a mail dominated career they'll speak vulgarly of you anyway. You shouldn't let boys acting like boys stop you from sending your boyfriend things. But to be honest I don't think there is anything to feel bad about. He just needs to keep calm and carry on.

Ugh... Excuse all the mistakes. iPhone post.
    Last edited by digitalfever; May 15, 2013, 08:57 AM.

Comment

just do what you normal do! nothing wrong with, my dad was a fire fighter and they do have borders with teasing and such
      dont worry to much about it they are just trying to see how far they can go because they have to trust each other in the job in with the teasing they learn what somebody can and cant do/have

Comment

Boys wil be boys, don't let it stop you from being your loving self and showing him how much you care and support him.

Comment

So he is in school to be a fire-fighter? Or an actual fire-fighter?
          Because if he is an actual fire-fighter I don't see the big deal with you sending him stuff as he doesn't live at the station 24-7.

Comment

well I can probably help you out a bit more since my boyfriend is a firefighter. Well I think your boyfriend should be able to handle it, they do pick on the rookies yes but they do it cause they are men and men are cocky bastards xD.

Also you should send him lots of things! My boyfriend talks to me to all this co-workers and they all always ask how me and him are doing and they are super jealous but that may be because I play halo 4 and video games. He should be able to handle it and you should never stop sending your boyfriend things, you boyfriend is not a big baby. He is probably tougher then he appears...or maybe he is super sensitive. I have no idea but he will be fine. Firefighters are one of a kind, count yourself lucky

Comment

agreed. he is going to be putting in long hard hours in the academy. he will need the encouragement from you. And onceout of the academey, he will only be working 3 days a week if he works 24 hour shifts. so whatever you send, you would be sending to his living quarters, not to the firehouse.
              everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the "hazing." We do stuff like that all the time in the oilfield. It usually consists of doing ***** work (oh look we need to move an entire pallet of stuff and the forklift broke, someone find the worm!) and good natured pranks. The pranks usually take advantage of a new guy's enthusiasm and wanting to make a good impression. One of the oldest (and one of my favorites) is telling the worm to go find the key to the V-door. The v-door is the spot on the rig that you pull pipe through to get it from the ground to the rigfloor. It's not actually a door and doesn't obviously doesn't require a key. So the driller tells the worm to go ask the companyman for the key to the v-door. When he asks the companyman for it, the companyman says he gave it to the toolpusher. The toolpusher says he gave it to the mudman and on and on until they catch on.

That kind of stuff is never meanspirited and is really just a way to pass the time and help the new guy become a part of the crew.

Comment

Working...
                X