X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awkwardness after long distance?

Hello everyone!

Here is the situation.

We have been together for 15 months. We broke up for a short period of time, because she moved a few states away. We kept contact every day, texting typically. We ended up deciding we would try long distance after she visited and we truly missed each other.

We had about a 6 month long distance period, seeing each other once in the middle of those months.

We talked all the time, skype, phone, everything.

However, now we are back together in the same location for the summer and I saw her for the first time yesterday.

It was awkward for the most part, as we had talked so often we still had moments of silence because there was nothing to really share that hadn't been said before. It got better after a while, but things still seemed to be a little off.

We talked later that day about the awkwardness and she said that although she loved me, she felt like it wasn't the same as the beginning of our relationship.

Personally I think it's because we attempted to jump right back into things, and mostly sat around. Conversations didn't flow very smooth because we never lost contact so there were no uncovered topics.

It really has her down, and she's questioning our relationship.

I suggested we go on more dates such as the zoo, movies, you know, places where conversations start themselves.

Is this normal? Any additional advice?

After time it's never as it was at the begining.

My advice is try to see good in this situation, you've grown, your relationship changed, enjoy it as it is right now.

or

Think if you are not better off being just friends.
    “We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.”
    ― Robert Fulghum, True Love

Met UK 3.08.2012-5.08.12 ->UK 1.12.12-3.12.12->PL 8.02.13-16.02.13->PL 1.06.13-9.06.13->UK 3.08.13-17.08.13->UK 26.10.2013-02.11.2013->PL 30.11.2013-08.12.2013->PL 22.03.2014-29.03.2014->UK 31.05.2014-07.06.2014->PL 06.09.2014-13.09.13->UK 20.12.2014-03.01.2015
    Closed the distance >21.03.2015
    sigpic

Comment

Sometimes silence is a good thing, you don't need to fill in every second with conversation. Just enjoy being in each other's company. It could also be that you've grown together past the puppy love stage too. I think your idea of going out and doing stuff is good too!
      Made it official: 12-01-10
      First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
      Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

I agree with Black_Halloween. Especially if you're together 24/7, it's impossible to have a constant conversation. You've been in a relationship for quite a while so you're past the stage of getting to know each other, too (asking lots of personal questions, talking about family or your past) I think it's perfectly fine and normal.
        My SO and I talk quite a bit when were together, but it's not a deep conversation all the time. just about daily things..
        And I really enjoy just being together, too. No talking, just enjoying each others company (I guess it's something you cherish a lot more in our situation)

I also like the idea of doing fun stuff together. Not only will you have a great time, but you'll also have a lot to talk about

Comment

Another vote from me for getting out and doing stuff together For my SO and I, there's only so long we can sit around unoccupied before lapsing into silence. Not that it's always a bad thing - as BH above me said, it can be good to simply enjoy each other's company - but if you're finding that conversation between you is a tad stilted after a long time apart, having new topics to talk about is a great place to begin.

Comment

Go to the amusement park, to the river, jump off a cliff or watch a movie. Do something! Don't just sit around and stare at each other... Try to make every day busy so you guys can have fun and be comfortable again with each other.

P.S.: I was just kidding about jumping off a cliff

Comment

Thank you guys for all your help, I feel a lot better about it now! Wish us luck

Comment

I know you already feel better but I want to pitch in and say that this happened to me and so we filled it with activities, and with activities came stories that neither one of us had told the other before! Such as stories about childhood or things that seemed trivial in the past. Sometimes everything has been said that you think needs to be said online, so going out and doing something together and bonding over an activity versus conversation can lend itself to strengthening the relationship.

Comment

Working...
                X