Dealing with Nay-Sayers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with Nay-Sayers...

I will preface this by saying that I know people MEAN well, but sometimes I wish folks would just keep their opinions to themselves.

When you're happy, you want to share your bliss. Unfortunately, I shared with the wrong person. I learned a valuable lesson last night: share my bliss HERE where people understand.

Sometimes its challenging to hear people say "Be careful... when the cat is away the mouse will play... He works at ___ job..." Though this is good advice (even in a non LDR), it still plants doubt and reinforces those hidden fears that creep up from time to time.

Thankfully, I shared the conversation with my SO, and he eased my fears. One thing this LDR is teaching me is the value of communication whether its good or bad.

So... this made me wonder: How do you deal with "Negative Nellies?"

ignore them.

Comment

I tend to attempt to ignore them. However,if they begin to get to a level that is obnoxious and/or disrespectful I tend to draw claws. I understand the whole "they're just looking out for you" thing,but really,I'm a grown adult and I can deal with it on my own. Not to mention I have enough doubt at times by myself,I don't need anyone helping me.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
      Back Together: August 1,2012
      First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
      Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
      Engaged: January 17,2013
      Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
      Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
      We Got Married! - July 3,2014
      SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
      Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

I ignore them too. I also share details about my relationship with only those I'm closest to.

I'm engaged to my SO and it's quite obvious that I'm wearing an engagement ring. I've had some questions and comments from co-workers and I just brush past it as fast as possible if they are being judgemental. I'm not going to hide/lie about my relationship and expect that there will be judgey wudgeys about it, just handle it in the moment and move on, ultimately it doesn't effect you what other people think.
        Met Online: February 2009
        Feelings grew: January 2011
        First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
        Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
        Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
        Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
        Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
        Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
        Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
        Engaged: 1st of July 2012
        Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
        Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
        Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
        Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
        Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
        Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

I haven't had anyone tell me something of that caliber yet but I know my mom keeps trying to predict our future by saying, what if he loves it as his new job and decides to stay? I've already confessed this fear to my SO and he said that'll never happen so I'm trusting him and believing him.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyDaemon View Post
            I tend to attempt to ignore them. However,if they begin to get to a level that is obnoxious and/or disrespectful I tend to draw claws. I understand the whole "they're just looking out for you" thing,but really,I'm a grown adult and I can deal with it on my own. Not to mention I have enough doubt at times by myself,I don't need anyone helping me.
            ^^^ This, I try to ignore them, and with some of them, just start to avoid contact, but with others, like my mother, I can't do that so try to just reassert that I am an adult and I will do what is right for me. It's my heart to break and although I know she means well, I know that my SO is not who she thinks he is.
            Joey & Scott
            Met: April 2002
            Lost Contact: August 2002
            Reconnected: April 2010
            Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I was, and still am, a pretty private person. Well except for Facebook :P But for the most part, I'd ignore them as well. If they made a stupid comment, I'd change the subject.

Met: November 19, 2010
              Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
              Made it official: April 29, 2011
              Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
              Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
              Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
              K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
              Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
              Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

I feel like the big thing is to do your best to treat your relationship like it isn't a big deal. Treat it like it's an everyday relationship and people around you will eventually begin to treat it the same way. I found that if people brought up cheating, I would simply respond by saying that we're aware of what could happen but we trust one another. If they continue, I have said that if it turns out to be a mistake, it turns out to be a mistake, but it's mine to make. It's assertive but also taking away their ability to argue with you. If they try to continue, tell them you appreciate and respect their opinion but they aren't going to change your mind so arguing about it won't help and then either walk away or change the subject.

Comment

Working...
                X