A trip with the whole family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A trip with the whole family

I'm not sure what I'm looking for... maybe some stories or tips?

My Bf and I have been together for about a year. We talk constantly about me moving and we're just waiting for the right time. We want to save up some money and get a head start before we start working out the logistics. I own my own business here and I have some properties… so I’ll need time to either list one of them or to hire a property management company to rent them out for me. But other than that, things have been going really good in my LDR. It’s nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel and plan towards it. Even though I have days where I’m super anxious just to be with him all the time, I know that we’re doing it the right way.

Anyway that was just a bit of where we’re at right now. Because my family knows I will be moving in the next year or so, they wanted to do one last family vacation. I will be the first out of my siblings to get married so they wanted to have one more trip just the 5 of us (my parents and the 3 kids). My parents have always been very welcoming to my boyfriend and my dad and my boyfriend email back and forth every week. Like many LDR, we only have so much time off we can take from work and that has always been a challenge for those in LDR. So I didn’t expect him to commit to our one-week holiday since we try and bulk all our time off to spend together during Christmas and New Years. I was also concerned that if I committed this many days that it would affect how many times I’d be able to see him from now until the end of the year.

Anyway, I mentioned it to him and he said he would try. A few days later, he told me that he could come and that he’s super excited. I know he’s the one for me and that I’m very blessed we both get along well with each other’s family… but I think I just feel very lucky. I’ve never been in a relationship where someone genuinely enjoys hanging out with my family (especially without me having to repeatedly ask “just once, can we please do xyz with them”). My last relationship (local) my ex didn’t really care to get to know my family and I was always hanging around with his only. It’s just really nice to have someone, despite the distance, be completely committed.

Anyone bring his or her SO on a family trip before? I feel like this is exactly what a great relationship should feel like. I am happy that I will commit the rest of my life to someone like him.

In December I went on a trip with my boyfriend and his family, the only annoying thing was that his family wanted to see me a lot and never really left us alone! When he comes here in 28 days for a month he is going to be dragged around by me with my family whether he likes it or not!! Haha, no, i think he is really excited to meet my family properly.. I had the same with my ex-boyfriend ( local), he wouldn't speak to my family at all! xD

Comment

Firstly, I know you are excited about the trip but it still sounds like you're over-thinking it relax! it'll be awesome! and you don't need to hear our experiences to know that it'll be awesome

My SO has been on a few trips with me and my family.. the biggest and main trip we have done so far was about a year ago and was kind of a roadtrip from Melbourne to Sydney (about 600 miles) We stopped off at a few different places around Sydney and were away for a week and a half I'm pretty sure. It was awesome there are 6 of us in my immediate family and with my SO that makes 7, so we are quite a large bunch in one car . We met up with some extended family whilst we were in Sydney, it really was one of the best holidays I've ever had and I think a lot of that is because my SO was with us enjoying it too .
      Met Online: February 2009
      Feelings grew: January 2011
      First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
      Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
      Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
      Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
      Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
      Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
      Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
      Engaged: 1st of July 2012
      Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
      Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
      Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
      Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
      Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
      Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

I'm not freaking out at all. I think I'm just more stumped and just maybe realized how lucky I am that the man in my life isn't just committed to me. We have talked about getting married in 2014 and he was the one that brought it up first. But I think it's the first time where it hit me that the man of my dreams isn't just committed to me but to my family and even when we close the distance, he will have a strong relationship with my family.

Comment

Originally posted by Peachy View Post
          I'm not freaking out at all. I think I'm just more stumped and just maybe realized how lucky I am that the man in my life isn't just committed to me. We have talked about getting married in 2014 and he was the one that brought it up first. But I think it's the first time where it hit me that the man of my dreams isn't just committed to me but to my family and even when we close the distance, he will have a strong relationship with my family.
          I didn't say 'freaking out' I said 'over-thinking' - VERY different things

it is an amazing thing when your SO gets along with family. What do you plan to do for the week holiday by the way?
          Met Online: February 2009
          Feelings grew: January 2011
          First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
          Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
          Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
          Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
          Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
          Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
          Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
          Engaged: 1st of July 2012
          Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
          Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
          Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
          Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
          Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
          Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

My SO and I went camping with my dad and my step-mom, as well as my other siblings last summer. It was a lot of fun. The only "downside" was never being left alone... if we were alone for any length of time they would send one of my younger siblings to find us and hang out with us.

The best advice I have is to enjoy the time together. If you're sure you're going to end up marrying him, he's going to have to fit in with your family... What better way to experience that than a family vacation?!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jazi View Post
              I didn't say 'freaking out' I said 'over-thinking' - VERY different things

it is an amazing thing when your SO gets along with family. What do you plan to do for the week holiday by the way?
              You're right! I might be over-thinking it.

I have NO idea! He's been looking into some activities for us to do. We like to do at least 1 adventurous excursion when we travel. The last time we went bungee jumping so who knows what we can get up to this time around.

Originally posted by Kristin91 View Post
              My SO and I went camping with my dad and my step-mom, as well as my other siblings last summer. It was a lot of fun. The only "downside" was never being left alone... if we were alone for any length of time they would send one of my younger siblings to find us and hang out with us.

The best advice I have is to enjoy the time together. If you're sure you're going to end up marrying him, he's going to have to fit in with your family... What better way to experience that than a family vacation?!
              That's true! He gets along with my family really well but never travelled together with them. Him and I have traveled a lot together in the past year or so. We are staying in different hotels but within the same area (about 2 blocks or so away from each other). My parents are great, they want to hang out but they also know that this is taking up our "monthly" visits so they want to ensure we have some time alone too.

About the marriage part, I just got back from seeing him and will be seeing him again next weekend. We just confirmed that we will be closing the distance in 2014 if all logistics work out.

Comment

I think this is an awesome idea! I was supposed to go on a hiking/camping vacation with my ex (long distance) and his family but it never turned out. I'm still a little bummed, because it would have been a blast...minus the whole having to be with my (not-yet-ex)-boyfriend the whole time. :P

I would love to go on a trip with my SO's family now, but I doubt it will happen any time soon. I think my SO will come with my mother and me on a little trip this summer. They really get along, so it should be great!

I agree that being excited to include him in your family is a sure way to tell it's a working relationship. Have fun!
                ~~~

Comment

Working...
                X