Communication problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communication problem

For some odd reason, my phone had stopped receiving international calls two years ago. It just suddenly stopped. And when my SO texts me, I get his texts. But when I text back, he never receives them. The reason why I'm bringing it up now is because it's going to cause an obstacle for me in communicating to him when I travel to see his in two days - you know in case there's a delay in flights or let him know that I landed safely or something. I tried a lot of apps, but they aren't working so well and he doesn't even have a smartphone.

I need help. Any suggestions?

What about lykamobile? you can use the card and I think the prices are aren't that high. Or maybe get those old phones (there is always someone who has one, I think).
    I had to do it because I myself dont have a SPhone and my cellphone goes nuts sometimes. So when I took it to store for them to repare it, I just founf another old phone at home and used it just for some weeks..!

Comment

Have you tried asking yor cell phone provider about it?

Comment

Do you have Verizon? They are horrible for international service, and there is no partnership with Swedish providers (I'm in IT, we have done extensive research on US and international cell service compatibility, and we have an office in Stockholm). If you do, I'd advise switching providers once your contract is up. Any other of the major providers have GSM service, and work easily. Verizon is OK in some other countries if you have GSM, but text between the US and Sweden is crap.
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes, I do have Verizon. And now that I know this tidbit of information, that REALLY sucks. The strange thing though is that me and my mother have the same plan, but she can receive his texts just fine. So I don't know whys he can and I suddenly can't.

And I did ask my cell phone provider about this situation. Basically, the only way to make it work is if I buy an international calling card and add minutes on it. Because adding international SMS would call for a complete change of phone plans.

Comment

You have a smartphone though, right? Even if your boyfriend doesn't, you can have him keep an eye on his email on the day you're supposed to get there, and just email him updates from your phone. Keep in mind though, data roaming in Europe is hugely expensive, my phone bill was more than double after my last visit, so use it sparingly. I'm sorry about your Verizon though, their coverage is great in the US, but no so good if you travel outside a lot.
            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I have Verizon too. I put an international plan on my phone because it ended up saving me money. I used to have a Mobal phone and account and that was a huge mistake. That cost me a couple grand before I chucked it. Can you update your phone? The Droid Razor R has global capacity and you can simply add the international package you want to your plan. I got this phone specifically for it, I believe the Iphone does it too, and Verizon has them now too. I called Verizon and asked them to tell me what phones this would work on and now I am quite happy with it.

Many of Verizon's phones don't support it, always make sure to ask before picking your phone. I had that horrid Mobal phone before because the rep on the phone at Verizon the first time around set me up for an international phone package and did not bother to check if the phone I picked would actually support it. My phone did not, I had to cancel the international package and get the Mobal prepaid international one and wait till I could get a new phone.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...edPhoneId=6392 ....This is the cheapest one I found.

You can use this page to look up what coverages and carriers they use in each country. This one is for Sweden. If you mom's phone still works and yours does not this would leave me to believe it is your phone because Verizon might have changed the local carrier they are using there and it now have to have global capacity.
              https://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms...country=sweden
              Last edited by Hollandia; June 2, 2013, 05:16 PM.
              "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
                I have Verizon too. I put an international plan on my phone because it ended up saving me money. I used to have a Mobal phone and account and that was a huge mistake. That cost me a couple grand before I chucked it. Can you update your phone? The Droid Razor R has global capacity and you can simply add the international package you want to your plan. I got this phone specifically for it, I believe the Iphone does it too, and Verizon has them now too. I called Verizon and asked them to tell me what phones this would work on and now I am quite happy with it.

Many of Verizon's phones don't support it, always make sure to ask before picking your phone. I had that horrid Mobal phone before because the rep on the phone at Verizon the first time around set me up for an international phone package and did not bother to check if the phone I picked would actually support it. My phone did not, I had to cancel the international package and get the Mobal prepaid international one and wait till I could get a new phone.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...edPhoneId=6392 ....This is the cheapest one I found.

You can use this page to look up what coverages and carriers they use in each country. This one is for Sweden. If you mom's phone still works and yours does not this would leave me to believe it is your phone because Verizon might have changed the local carrier they are using there and it now have to have global capacity.
                https://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms...country=sweden
                Ahhh, that seems very handy! Thank you very much.

I've decided that I would just speak to him on the Skype app on my phone during the change in between flights. It's not what I wanted, but it's better than nothing.

Comment

Working...
                X