No more internet :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more internet :(

So apparently my SO won't be able to use the internet anymore, which means no more skype calls or video calls from now on. I feel broken and I don't know how to survive until we meet again

Oh wow, that's tough. How come he's lost the internet? What will be your main contact now, text? Perhaps he can borrow someone's laptop or use a internet cafe?

Comment

Do you have any other ways to contact each other? Do you know when you're meeting again?

Maybe he can visit an Internet cafe from time to time if he has a laptop, or could go to a library or other place with computers with Internet.
      ~~~

Comment

Agreed with the others. I see your SO lives in the US, and the places with free Wi-Fi are ALL OVER THE PLACE. Like McDonalds offers that for example
        So, here you are
        too foreign for home
        too foreign for here.
        Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Basically he used his grandparent's internet and explained me that they pay for hours, something like that, and that they will shut it off cause it's too expensive. He told me that it's the only way to get internet there (he lives in the countryside). We still have texts but it's not the same as talking or seeing each other and all I can do is buy phone cards now and then until we meet again in the fall hopefully

He said there's no place with free wi-fi there
          Last edited by Thendsnotnear; June 13, 2013, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I went without Internet for 3 months recently due to financial problems. It was rough but we made it through...
            First met online: June, 2010
            First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
            Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
            Third visit together: August, 2012
            Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
            Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
            Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
            Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Hmm, there's always a library, usually its free at least where I live, some places I know charge a fee about 5 dollars or so.
              https://wearenottrayvonmartin.tumblr.com/
              Makes my heart feel better a tiny bit.

Comment

Is there no way he can afford to chip in with internet fees? Even if it's just an hour or two a week?

Comment

He should be able to get mobile internet I would think. That's what I'm going to have to do until I get a place when I get back home because my mum lives in the middle of no where, where they haven't got broadband yet @.@.

Comment

I really don't know, I'm hoping he's able to get to the nearest town and call me in the weekend, there's nothing else I can do.

Comment

My SO doesn't have internet in his house, he's very rural and it would cost an absolute fortune. He just uses his mobile data as he's on an unlimited plan with that. He's got a smartphone so we video chat through that, it means he has to keep turning the phone round but at least I get to see him

Comment

Originally posted by Kanga View Post
                        Hmm, there's always a library, usually its free at least where I live, some places I know charge a fee about 5 dollars or so.
                        Yes, I was thinking that, too.

First Visit: September 2016
                        Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
                        Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
                        For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
                        John 4:12
                        I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

It's true that in some rural areas in the US there's no cable internet or DSL available, and a place with Wifi may be far away. Also, there aren't many rural libraries that are so fantastic that they have internet. But there are several cheap dial-up options he could use. I think Juno and Netzero still exist, and they don't cost more than $10.00 per month or so from what I hear. It's slow as can be, won't be fast enough for videochat really, but at least you can do voice or text chat on it. I would advise him to look into a cheaper dial-up plan. It's weird that his grandparents were using a per-hour plan in the 21st century, to be honest. Why does he have to go to the nearest town to call you? Most people are able to have phone service, even in the most rural areas of the US.

Comment

80anthea (forgot to quote sorry)

You're lucky, my SO hasn't got a smartphone so we can't do that
                            Last edited by Thendsnotnear; July 19, 2013, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I have no idea, we haven't talked anymore. He said he might buy a card but they're 30 dollars which sounds pretty strange to me since I've always buyed cards for 5 euros here (I'm in Italy) but I know nothing about how things work over there honestly and I think if he knew a way to call he would probably do that. I'm thinking of some skype solutions.

Comment

Working...
                              X