Traveling and such!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traveling and such!

Im really trying to plan a trip to see my SO for his birthday this summer, i havent asked my parents yet but i have a feeling they are going to be a little hesitiant about it, what are some things that i could do that would make them feel safer with me going over there? my SO and i have thought about putting his mom who would be in charge of me basically, and my parents on a skype chat to make them feel good that i'd have someone responsible around me. Any other ideas?
    Thanks!
    ps. also does anyone know if flights are cheaper 2 one way tickets or 1 both way, and final question for people who have traveled to down under whats the best/cheapest airline to use?
    sigpic

Distance tears couples apart. But if we can get through over a year without even meeting... Thats special...
    -Connor<3

I'm no good with dealing with parents because my experience is very limited on that, but I can tell you it is cheaper to get a return flight than two one-way tickets. Also if you want to save money you need to be aware at what times you are flying, if you come over in a tourist season you will pay more.

Air NewZealand often have good deals on their flights. I have also heard great things about Air Singapore, but I don't know what they have between here and there. Emirates have recently paired up with the Australian line Qantas, so you might be able to find something nice with them as well. Perhaps you should speak with a travel agent

I generally fly with Air Canada, as they are the only company that has a direct flight from Sydney to Vancouver (and then on to Toronto), but they are expensive unless you get a great sale and the service is a bit of a lucky-dip! I can say I've never been drastically late with them.
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Traveling is super safe these days. You walk up to the counter and check in and pretty much go to security. After you are through you security you are just that "secure". Don't get me wrong, watch your belongings just as you would in a city type of setting with some many people there are bound to be pick pockets and petty thieves that will grab your purse if you leave it unattended. Follow the signs and locate your gate well in advance and remember they board the plane 30 minutes before takeoff.

One way tickets are almost always much much more expensive. It makes NO sense to me because when you use miles instead of cash they are the same amount both ways, but cash tickets are different. I think it is just the airline's way of making you book both of your trips to and fro with them. Many foreign countries will require you to have proof of a return ticket when you go through their immigration too.

Once you land make sure you have pre-arranged transportation from the airport to you place you are staying at. Make sure you only pack what you can handle yourself because you will need to pick up your checked bags and take all of your luggage to the customs there before you leave the airport. I am also again very careful to watch my belongings at this point because you look like an easy target if you are lugging around more than what you can barely handle to carry. Make sure you have a way to contact your ride or you are aware of where the taxis/shuttles are and then off you go.

I hope you have a great time and you get to go soon.
      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I want to see my SO for her birthday. But today I got a reminder in the mail, that I have a dental appointment ten days before my SO's birthday. I want to reschedule the dental appointment.

First Visit: September 2016
        Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
        Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
        For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
        John 4:12
        I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

Your idea of putting your parents through to his mother is a great one. You should probably have your parents meet your SO too, if they haven't already. I'm not sure how old you are, but I was 17 when I traveled out of my country of origin to meet my (then) boyfriend, and yes I had my mother talk to his mother to make sure everything is ok.
          So, here you are
          too foreign for home
          too foreign for here.
          Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Working...
          X