I used the "C" word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used the "C" word

In a recent email to my possible SO/friend, I told her "I care about you." So the "c" word, care is not as significant as saying the "L" word, love obviously. However, to me it is kind of significant. I know what it means to me, that I'm developing greater emotions for her and she is becoming something more significant in my life. However, I'm not sure what it means for her. I said it in the context of an email about her healing from the divorce mentally, physically and spiritually.

Since I've said it/sent it, things are actually moving forward with us. Not sure if that is the reason why, but she seems more open, communicating more, and I'm getting more smiley faces in texts and she would rarely do that before. =D It's usually when I say something sweet and caring.

Clearly we are just in the getting to know each other phase, but I am starting to have more feelings for her. Especially now that we have been communicating regularly for almost a year and going through some major life events together, but apart. I'm not sure where her feelings are at just yet. So right now just reading tea leaves until we are at the point to better communicate verbally and/or nonverbally those feelings.

So what does "I care about you" mean to you? Do you think it's significant that I said that? Am I making a big deal out of nothing?

I'm pretty sure the only 'c' word ends in a T. I don't think "care' is that significant. I care about all the people I work with. I care about the old lady that falls. I care about that kid that is about to step into the road.

Comment

There was a guy who liked me a lot and he didn't want to confess he loved me so he told me he cared about me, more than he is willing to admit - and to be honest I really, really liked hearing that.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
        I'm pretty sure the only 'c' word ends in a T
        ^ You mean carrot, right?

And yeah, to me, when I say or think that I "care" about someone it's almost always never in a romantic setting. I care about family, friends, even random people on the internet. If my SO had told me at the beginning that he cared about me (and he possibly might have done that, can't remember) I would have thought "big friggin' deal!"

But that's just me.
        I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
          There was a guy who liked me a lot and he didn't want to confess he loved me so he told me he cared about me, more than he is willing to admit - and to be honest I really, really liked hearing that.
          To me, this is different. "I care about you, more than I'm willing to admit" suggests that there's something deeper going on. Although it's never been as significant to me as "love," someone saying this to me has also meant a lot in the past.

As far as "I care about you" though... My friends tell me they care about me, and yeah, sure, it means something to me, especially when I'm vulnerable and down, but I expect any of my good friends to care about me on a relatively significant level. That's why we're friends.

I don't think it's a big word and I don't necessarily think it's significant. It sounds like you're trying to make caring about someone sound like it happens only in a romantic context, and... it doesn't. If "I care about you" had come from a potential SO, then I probably would have simply thought we'd crossed the line into friendship and left it at that.

Comment

Jeesh just confess that you have feelings for her already straight on- no more saying c-word bullcrap -.- (it's been a year and I agree with the other posters who said "care" is not really a powerful word to use to say that you have feelings for someone )
            Common you can do it! ;D
            Last edited by TooFarAway; June 27, 2013, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Based on the thread title I thought you really offended her...
              Anyway, like the others have said, I care about a ton of people, some more than others. It doesn't mean anything in a romantic context to me, though I'm really glad for you that things are feeling better and she's been more positive. That's a great step in itself, regardless of what we or anyone else thinks of the way you use 'care'.

Comment

This made me laugh from a memory I have. Mine spilled more than he wanted to one night but shut up quick about it. I, however, am a stubborn person and would gently ask for hints about what it was that he wouldn't tell me.

I finally had to be the one to bridge the topic, he made me guess one night. I asked him if he had 'feelings' for me, to which he responded with a yes. We talked, he said something about how he wasn't sure if he could call it 'love' as he had a rule of thumb not to tell someone he has never met before that he loved them. We continued to talk and that rule of thumb was broken...he suddenly came out with how maybe his rule of thumb should be broken and by the end of the night he had told me that he loved me.

So, maybe care can be the same as feelings...a place holder word. Don't use too many of those for too long. Just, when it comes to this odd way of finding love...it's love if you feel it!

Comment

I remember when we first started dating that he would say he was crazy about me or cared about me. To me those things said it was getting more serious before we got to the big "L" word!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
                    ^ You mean carrot, right?
                    No no, I think he meant "Cat"
                    Made it official: 12-01-10
                    First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
                    Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

I see "caring" as a word on both sides of love. For example: Like how you said it. It can mean progressive feelings, heading into the love territory. Or on the other side, when you no longer love someone. For example: I still care about my ex but I've long since fallen out of love with him. So it really depends on the context.

But I'm sure she got what you meant, and in that way I think it's sweet

Met online: 1/30/11
                      Met in person: 5/30/12
                      Second visit: 9/12/12
                      Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

To me, I "care about you" means more than "I like you". It's more special. Has more meaning. You can care a lot about somebody then those feelings can grow into love! I'd say you're going in the right direction!

Comment

My girlfriend and I used "care" before we used the word "love". Care was a stepping stone on the way to love.

Comment

For me it depends how it is said.
                            I care about you can mean both that I'm very interested or that I'm not and that's my way of showing pity.
                            And something I've learned from my last relationship is that words, even when you speak of love, mean nothing without action. My ex was full of pretty words, compliments and love declarations but incapable of committing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dezface View Post
                              I see "caring" as a word on both sides of love. For example: Like how you said it. It can mean progressive feelings, heading into the love territory. Or on the other side, when you no longer love someone. For example: I still care about my ex but I've long since fallen out of love with him. So it really depends on the context.
                              I agree with this totally. Care word stand both way. Also care is not related to romantic context you care for your family and friends.. I hope she gets it that your C word means feelinbgs which are progressing towards love.

Comment

Working...
                              X