College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College

Me an my boyfriend met our sophomore year of high school. We've dated since we graduate this year. We live in Texas but his college he's going to is in Minnesota we have been talking about getting engaged but I'm worried about if it gonna work I need advice please

there is no need to start the same topic in 2 different places within half an hour of each other. People will reply if/when they want to, creating multiple topics isn't going to make people answer differently.

I really don't have much advice, it sounds like you're just looking for reassurance because you didn't mention anything in particular, expect for your very broad description of your relationship/the idea of getting engaged.

I will say that if you are this unsure/worried then it isn't right. Proposals and engagements are supposed to be happy life changing events that lead into marriage. If you aren't ready for marriage then you aren't ready to be engaged.
    Met Online: February 2009
    Feelings grew: January 2011
    First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
    Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
    Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
    Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
    Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
    Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
    Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
    Engaged: 1st of July 2012
    Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
    Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
    Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
    Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
    Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
    Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

Wait....Sophomore year in high school and you're already looking and picking out colleges and thinking about getting married? SLOW. DOWN. You're so young you don't need to be moving that fast.
      Made it official: 12-01-10
      First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
      Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

No no no no we have graduated high school this year we are going into college next year
        I'm just worried about it because I don't know how long distance relationships will work and I know we love each other but it's just worrying me he's gonna be so far away and I don't know what to do

Comment

Originally posted by Alyssa.C9 View Post
          No no no no we have graduated high school this year we are going into college next year
          I'm just worried about it because I don't know how long distance relationships will work and I know we love each other but it's just worrying me he's gonna be so far away and I don't know what to do
          LDRs work just like any other relationships work. The main difference between LDRs and CDRs is our biggest relationship problem is obvious to everyone - the distance is the problem. Why are you worried he'll be far away? Or, what are you most worried about?

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
          Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
          Progress: Working on it.

Comment

He's gonna be in Minnesota ima be in Texas and I'm just worried that the distance might tear us apart:/

Comment

It might tear you apart but it most likely won't. If your relationship is strong enough to withstand marriage then it better be able to withstand long distance. As you can see there are thousands of LD couples here and have been LD for years and we're still together.

I'd like to add marriage is STRESSFUL, you can't expect everything to be roses and rainbows forever and there's no need to trap yourselves in a marriage just because you feel like it'll keep you together. That's like teenagers thinking that having a baby will save the relationship. 99.9% of the time it will tear it apart not fix it.

Notes:
              Met: 8.17.09
              Started Dating: 8.20.09
              First Met: 10.2.10
              Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Like the above posters said, LDRs can work. If you can handle marriage, you should be able to handle an LDR. They both require commitment. A lot of couples who meet in high school are stereotyped not to last. I also am in no position to be able to tell you whether your relationship will last or not. Only you and your boyfriend can determine that. The best you can do is go long distance, talk as much as you can over the internet.. and maybe phone depending on your plans.. and the other thing you can remember is that although it sucks being apart, after you graduate from university you will have degrees (or at least he will, I'm not sure if you both are going to go to college or not) and then you will be able to work towards building a life together. Since you are from the same high school, it is likely your family and friends live around the same area and if not you are still in the same country so you will be able to travel easier and they can travel to you easier. Long distance is NOT the end of the world. It does require a lot of commitment, trust, communication.. but these are things good strong relationships require anyway.

I don't recommend just getting engaged because you are going long distance though. People will ask you when you are getting married.. and if he's starting college, that's probably not going to happen for another few years.. because it would make things more difficult. Plus you are still so young.. You can also probably have the chances of seeing each other on holidays and summers and if you are committed to each other you can make it through this distance. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X