Am I handling this correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I handling this correctly?

I'm in desperate need of some reassurance that what I'm doing is the correct course of action.

Yesterday marked five months for my SO and I having been together. For our first few months, we were absolutely buried in that "honeymoon stage," where we texted frequently and made sure to skype most nights for hours. It was an incredible experience where we grew close and shared so much. He was a very sweet, respectful, funny man who shared many of my values and opinions, although we still had a healthy set of differences that made friendly debate and such a ton of fun. Overall, things were just... phenomenal, and I felt so lucky to have met him.

About two months ago, he moved out of the apartment he'd had for four years and back in with his parents because he could no longer afford to pay his rent after it doubled. It was a wise move, of course, since he has a steady job that pays well, and not having to pay such enormous rent every month would allow him to gain a little bit of financial stability once again. I knew our time together would lessen since he'd want to spend time with his parents as thanks for allowing him to stay with them, and I was fine with that.

What I didn't anticipate was, after just two weeks, our regular communication took a significant fall. Over the course of a few days, his texts puttered out, and he skipped out on skype, something he had never done before. I took it in stride, figuring this was only natural and that our near-constant communication before had been a little excessive, anyway. But as days went by, I received fewer and fewer texts, and he never once got on skype again. So, finally, I pulled out a move we'd used a lot before: I wrote him a message on a forum we both used to frequent and told him I was concerned, wondering if I'd done something to push him away and that I felt a little cold-shouldered. He eventually replied, assuring me he hadn't meant to make me feel that way at all, that it was absolutely not me, but he had become super busy. Of course, I understood, so I backed off and gave him space, waiting patiently for the day he'd have a little more free time and hop online to talk to me.

He never did. A month and a half passed in which his replies to my (infrequent, so as not to distract him too badly, but still daily) texts became shorter and shorter, and it was like pulling teeth getting him to keep a conversation going. He'd also never be the one to initiate conversations anymore. He would never get on skype, despite the fact that he'd told me one day that he spends a lot of his nights just relaxing in front of the TV with his parents. I tried not to ask for a night of skyping too frequently, but when I did and he'd agree to it, he'd end up not showing up and then not even send me a text with an apology and explanation.

A few nights ago, after one such event and another week of two-word text replies, I decided to just... stop. I'm so tired of always being the one to initiate everything, I just needed a break. It wasn't exactly a test to see if he'd text me, but I won't lie and say I wasn't harboring the hope that he would. And yet, I still haven't heard a single word from him. At this point, I'm just so utterly frustrated and confused, and yesterday I wrote a little rant that I ended up sending him in another message today. It was basically me saying look, I don't know what's going on, but I need an explanation. Whatever you're trying to do, this is an absolutely awful way to go about it because our plan to remain friends if we ever broke up may be impossible after the disrespect and disregard I've been feeling for the last month and a half. I don't understand why you can't take one or two nights a week that you'd otherwise just be watching TV, just half an hour at most, if that's all I can get, and talk to me. It hurts not knowing why.

I haven't yet texted him to let him know about the message because, while part of me is still curious to see how long it takes before he'll text me, there's another part of me that is just terrified to have him read it. I'm so afraid I'm overreacting, or that this hasn't been intentional at all, but is that even possible? I understand needing space, but to treat me like this? ....I don't know. I'm just so mentally exhausted by all of this. I've done my best to stay distracted, but it's difficult when you're practically being ignored by someone you care so much about, and for the entire situation to have escalated as quickly and abruptly as it did. It's been hard to adjust. I would just really like to know what you guys think of how I'm handling things because right now, I'm feeling awful and torn.

Thank you for any and all input.

I think you should have confronted him with this pattern of behavior sooner but I digress. I think you're handling it better than I would. I get that he's busy with his family now but that's no reason to ignore you and skip out on skype dates.
    Made it official: 12-01-10
    First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
    Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Halloween View Post
      I think you should have confronted him with this pattern of behavior sooner but I digress. I think you're handling it better than I would. I get that he's busy with his family now but that's no reason to ignore you and skip out on skype dates.
      I agree with this. Although it's very thoughtful of you that you understood that he's trying to spend some time with his family, I think maybe you should have tried to set up a certain time and/or date for ya'll to talk. Family is important, but you should also be important enough for him to set time aside for you.
      In the meantime, you've done more than enough to express understanding and selflessness, I think you should let him know that you posted something for him to read. He needs to know exactly how you feel so that you can maybe get some communication going and hopefully figure out what in the heck is going on!

Hoping for the best!
      sigpic
      Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
      Our first LDR ~ August 2009
      Closed the distance ~ January 2011
      He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
      Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
      He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
      Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
      Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

I think you handled it very well, I suppose your heart isn't taking it too well though so I send hugs.

You let him know how you feel, and he behaved like a complete ass ignoring you like that. (I think it's very disrespectfull to set a date and then not bother with showing up)

I'd say let him know you left the msg for him and cease all contact. Let him do the step if he wants.
        Though in my opinion him spending time watching TV and not even bothering to call you is like a 'i don't give a damn about you' msg. But it's me.

Good luck, whatever happens.
        “We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.”
        ― Robert Fulghum, True Love

Met UK 3.08.2012-5.08.12 ->UK 1.12.12-3.12.12->PL 8.02.13-16.02.13->PL 1.06.13-9.06.13->UK 3.08.13-17.08.13->UK 26.10.2013-02.11.2013->PL 30.11.2013-08.12.2013->PL 22.03.2014-29.03.2014->UK 31.05.2014-07.06.2014->PL 06.09.2014-13.09.13->UK 20.12.2014-03.01.2015
        Closed the distance >21.03.2015
        sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately, it sounds to me like he wants to break up and is just being a coward about it. But I hope I'm wrong. I do think you've handled it well and you've been a lot more understanding than I would have been. You've made your move, now let him make his. I wouldn't contact him again.

Met online: 1/30/11
          Met in person: 5/30/12
          Second visit: 9/12/12
          Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

Fair play you've been very patient if you ask me, can't see nothing wrong with how you've handled it and he's being an absolute asshole! You should just tell him to forget everything, ok if he wants to spend time with his family, but not 24/7, he can make time for someone he loves surely!!

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
            2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
            3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
            4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
            5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
            6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
            7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
            Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
            UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

I agree with everyone here. I think you tried to have patience and understanding and it obviously didn't get you anywhere which is sad. Like others said,if he can make time to spend with his family then he can make time to spend with you,I'm sorry he's treating you this way. I would see at least one more time if you can get him to respond to you. If he doesn't then I would sit down,do some serious soul searching and figure out if this is something you can continue to deal with. If it's not then in the end you'll know at least you tried.
              Last edited by LadyDaemon; June 30, 2013, 03:36 AM.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
              Back Together: August 1,2012
              First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
              Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
              Engaged: January 17,2013
              Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
              Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
              We Got Married! - July 3,2014
              SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
              Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

Honestly it sounds like he was doing the typical break up. Stop contact and hope the person gets the point.
                I'd just move on.

Comment

Originally posted by aniay View Post
                  in my opinion him spending time watching TV and not even bothering to call you is like a 'i don't give a damn about you' msg. But it's me.
                  Originally posted by Dezface View Post
                  Unfortunately, it sounds to me like he wants to break up and is just being a coward about it. But I hope I'm wrong. I do think you've handled it well and you've been a lot more understanding than I would have been. You've made your move, now let him make his. I wouldn't contact him again.
                  Originally posted by digitalfever View Post
                  Honestly it sounds like he was doing the typical break up. Stop contact and hope the person gets the point.
                  I'd just move on.
                  I think in this case actions speak louder than words - he has proved over and over that he would much rather do other things like watch TV than ever even talk to you.

I think you need to end it, he doesn't respect you or even seem to want your company. When you want to spend time with someone you find a way to make it happen, he is making excuses, not making it happen.
                  Met Online: February 2009
                  Feelings grew: January 2011
                  First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
                  Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
                  Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
                  Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
                  Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
                  Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
                  Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
                  Engaged: 1st of July 2012
                  Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
                  Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
                  Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
                  Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
                  Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
                  Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

I agree with everything that's been said by the other posters here. You've been more than patient, and you're not overreacting at all. In fact, I don't think I'd be able to be as patient as you in your situation, so kudos to your selflessness and patience.

My husband is from Russia, where people don't typically move out of their parents' homes until they either get married or have a lucrative enough paycheck that they can afford their own place (and young professionals in Russia often don't make enough to live on by themselves when they're just starting out), so my husband was still living with his parents when we began our relationship. Sure, his parents wanted him to spend time together with them, but he still managed to make time for us every single day and managed long Skype chats every Saturday and Sunday (six hours minimum). And he would NEVER use watching TV as an excuse to not spend time with me, and I know he wouldn't appreciate me saying, "I'm watching TV, so I can't chat" as well.

I know everyone has an amount of communication that works for them, but I don't think it's normal to go from chatting a few hours a day to almost nothing, and him completely disregarding your time by not showing up for Skype chats you'd planned. I think he's being super rude and disrespectful, and if he expects you to pull all the weight in the relationship, that's not healthy. Am I the only one here who thinks, "busy" is usually not a valid excuse? No matter how busy a person is, they can make time for their SO, period. I would personally let him know that if you do continue a relationship, that this behavior is unacceptable to you and you won't continue the relationship if he continues to treat you this way.
                    Last edited by SquishyLove; June 30, 2013, 06:45 AM.

Comment

If it were me, I would send hiom a text letting him know there is a message waiting for him, but I wouldnt expect a reply. if you have only been dating for 5 months, it sounds to me like he has found something else to occupy his time. Wether it be another relationship, or just watching tv, you are not his priority.
                      As hard as it is, do not expect to hear from him.
                      everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

Wow, I wasn't expecting so much feedback, but... you're all amazing. Thank you so, so much. I guess I've just been in denial for so long now, since this all seems so out-of-character for the man I knew, but the signs are there and I think I've slowly been hardening my heart against him, anyway. So thank you, everyone; I'm feeling more validated. I'll be sure to let him know the message is there today and then go from there.

Comment

Good luck!

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
                          Back Together: August 1,2012
                          First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
                          Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
                          Engaged: January 17,2013
                          Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
                          Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
                          We Got Married! - July 3,2014
                          SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
                          Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

Alright, so, an update...

Once he knew I'd sent the message, he replied fairly quickly, much to my pleasure. I won't get into details about what his reasons were for cutting me out, but they were... I don't know... they were forgivable enough that in the end, I gave him a related ultimatum and also made it clear that if we were to continue, I'd need to be treated with more respect and be given the time of day.

I left the decision in his hands and had spent my time since coming to terms with either outcome. I was feeling like I could handle either fairly well, but tonight, two days later, he got back to me and has decided to end things. Which I feel I would have taken with more aplomb had his message not been insensitive to the point of sounding like this isn't much of a hardship for him at all. That hurt more than I'd like to admit, so I'm just going to wait to reply until the anger dissipates a bit so as to end things on good terms. I know there is absolutely nothing that says he has to be effected by this to the extent I am, so to reply now would be unfair. Still. Urgh.

Anyway, thank you all for your support. It really means a lot. In the end, I probably shouldn't have given him that second chance after the way he treated me (and because he was obviously already on the way out), but love can make you do some pretty stupid things, right? Heh. He is a great man, no matter how I've made him sound, but there's someone better out there for me. Think I just might need to bury my face in a bowl or two of ice cream to help myself believe it...

Comment

I'm so sorry that this has happened but I'm glad you were somewhat prepared.

Comment

Working...
                              X