Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left LD Girlfriend Lat Year & Afraid I Made Horrible Mistake

Hi everyone,

I'll try to sum up my story in a fairly concise way here. I don't wanna bore you all to death before you finish, but I don't have too many other people to turn to for advice so any help/advice/encouragement you could provide would be much appreciated.

A little history to start... I met this girl through a friend about 3 years ago when she was here in town visiting. We hit it off immediately, and when she went home we stayed in touch through facebook, texting, e-mailing, etc. Even with the lack of ever being able to be together it was still the time of my life. I'd never experienced clicking with someone like that and she became (and I consider even still to be) my one real true best friend. For about the first year or so we were just that... best friends. It was always sort of the elephant in the room that we liked each other but the distance keeping us apart and stuff made us each a little uneasy to really talk about having a real relationship. When we finally did everything was fantastic. We both obviously would have preferred to be physically together but just knowing we were in it together kept us very happy.

We were very strong and happy for about another year. It's a shame that this has all happened because we were in love and were fired up that we'd be able to stay strong and "beat the odds" of long distance relationships. Sadly however I think we both slowly started to succumb to the toll it was taking on us. We'd only been able to see each other twice since becoming "official." Not being able to do things together and each being busy with our own lives gave us less and less to talk about and enjoy together. Also I think having an uncertain "end-date" to being apart due to work and school reasons made things much more grim. Little things would begin to frustrate me like when she'd reply to a text or something in a way that I felt was less caring or loving than what I'd send to her, and some things I'd do would start to aggravate her more as well.

I started to question my feelings a lot, and I hated myself for it. I was in an ongoing battle with myself trying to figure out whether or not my feelings were still the same... Were these problems just because of the distance? Would we be a perfectly happy couple in a more normal situation? Was I just having a hard time crossing over from the "honey-moon" phase to the more regular, long-term love phase? How much of it was her changing as well as myself? Or was I just being paranoid and over-thinking everything?

What happened next was I met somebody new. I was completely lost and had no idea what to do. This new girl was very nice, fun, and to be honest I found treated me and happily talked with me more the way that I felt like I was missing from my girlfriend at that time. Even just typing that right now hurts a lot. I made the extremely difficult decision to end things with my girlfriend. I wasn't proud of it and hated myself for hurting her, but it would have been wrong for me to stay with her while I was developing feelings for this new girl. And I felt that my girlfriend too deserved to be able to live her life more where she is and go on real dates and stuff. I also hoped that maybe being apart would show me what I gave up and would make it possible to get back together with her and revive those old feelings that we used to share.

It took maybe a couple hard months but she's gotten over me very well. I admire her for it and am very impressed. She's a really strong gal. She's even thanked me for doing it because she's really enjoying being able to spend more time with her friends and stuff there. So if there's any silver lining to this I suppose it's that. Because she deserves to be happy. What I had with that other girl didn't last too long. She's nice and a good person and everything but I guess the attraction was more of a short-term-type thing than I was expecting. I'm afraid it may have been a case of "Grass is Greener Syndrome" or of me going with the Ms. Right Now as opposed to the real Ms. Right as people say.

The past couple months or so now I've started having feelings of wanting to give it another shot with my ex. In the past couple weeks they've been especially strong. It's like all I'm thinking about and it's killing me that a bad decision I made might end up costing me a lifetime of happiness. When I see happy couples or think about things they do like go grocery shopping... watch movies... get married... have kids... pay bills... even spend days sitting by the others hospital bed when they're old and grey... there's only one person I want to do those things with.

She's aware of these new developments, and while she says there's not a zero percent chance of us giving it another shot, it sounds very slim. And it certainly won't be anytime soon. In fact I don't even necessarily want it to be anytime soon because I'm happy that she's happy, and frankly I think I deserve this time being miserable by myself. She says she wants to be friends with me, but sadly it isn't the same. I find myself having to initiate every conversation and there's other little things like her knowing I had a big job interview and not asking how it went. That stuff hurts. I don't necessarily blame her after what I did to her, but I know that the girl I used to know is in there somewhere and it kills me that I not only lost my girlfriend, but also my best friend.

If anyone's made it this far thank you for your time reading all this. Any advice or inspiration you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really interested in ways to get over her. What I'm hoping for more is advice on getting her back one day. I know it won't take a couple days, or a couple months or maybe even longer, but I have so much faith in what we had and could have. It'd be such a shame if after everything we used to share and dream about, we never even get a chance at trying a real relationship one day, and I think that's worth fighting for.
    Last edited by 22goingon6; July 1, 2013, 08:21 PM.

Well I'll be perfectly honest with you,there's really only so much you can do. You can't force her to be with you and she can't make her feelings come back if they simply aren't as strong or aren't there anymore. The only thing you can really do is be her friend,talk to her and be as much apart of her life as she will allow,but don't push. Then if she feels like she wants to try again then try again with her. But if she feels like she can't do it and you remain in the "friend zone" then the only thing you can do is move on.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
    Back Together: August 1,2012
    First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
    Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
    Engaged: January 17,2013
    Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
    Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
    We Got Married! - July 3,2014
    SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
    Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

Has she told you that her feelings are now gone? The way it is sounding to me is that because she healed and got over it, it has made her feel she can live without you. Also, did she know you somewhat left her for another girl? That may cause trust issues. She might think if she gets back with you, once it starts getting tough from the distance, you might again want to turn to something that seems easier. If there's any chance, and you are serious about her, you need to tell her you made a huge mistake and you only want her no matter how hard it's going to be. A similar thing happened to my SO. He had a LDR with a girl and she thought it was too hard and broke it off. Months later, she suddenly wanted him back but he had moved on and wasn't interested anymore. Don't give her too much time to think about it or she'll only drift more.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyDaemon View Post
        Well I'll be perfectly honest with you,there's really only so much you can do. You can't force her to be with you and she can't make her feelings come back if they simply aren't as strong or aren't there anymore. The only thing you can really do is be her friend,talk to her and be as much apart of her life as she will allow,but don't push. Then if she feels like she wants to try again then try again with her. But if she feels like she can't do it and you remain in the "friend zone" then the only thing you can do is move on.
        Hey Daemon thanks for your advice and insight. Everything you said makes sense. What bothers me now is how I feel like she's so rude to me. Am i wrong to be frustrated about that? Sure I did a horrible thing to her yeah, but it was hardly 100% my fault that we ended up breaking up, and I also always did so many great things for her when we were together. Every day I took time to do nice things for her and stuff. So it frustrates me now that she never gives me the time of day. I need to start every single conversation, she texts me basically as if she has to pay by the letter. She never has asked me how my new exciting job is I started 2 weeks ago. Little things like that. She says she wants to still be friends and stuff, but when I tried to talk to her about this stuff, she basically told me that I broke her heart and she got over me so get over it. Pretty harsh, but maybe I deserve it, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by kikidee View Post
          Has she told you that her feelings are now gone? The way it is sounding to me is that because she healed and got over it, it has made her feel she can live without you. Also, did she know you somewhat left her for another girl? That may cause trust issues. She might think if she gets back with you, once it starts getting tough from the distance, you might again want to turn to something that seems easier. If there's any chance, and you are serious about her, you need to tell her you made a huge mistake and you only want her no matter how hard it's going to be. A similar thing happened to my SO. He had a LDR with a girl and she thought it was too hard and broke it off. Months later, she suddenly wanted him back but he had moved on and wasn't interested anymore. Don't give her too much time to think about it or she'll only drift more.

Yeah kiki she's made it very clear that her feelings are gone. Although every once in a while she'll say just a little something that makes me think maybe she still think one day we'd have a shot. And yeah to answer your question she knew that the other girl was part of why I left her. I never wanted to lie to her or keep anything from her although looking back maybe I should have. Although I think the other girl was more of just the trigger, because we had seemed to have been fading for some time. And yeah I've tried to talk to her about it. More than once. Never seem to get anywhere though

Comment

Let her go dude, really. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
            Made it official: 12-01-10
            First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
            Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Originally posted by 22goingon6 View Post
              Hey Daemon thanks for your advice and insight. Everything you said makes sense. What bothers me now is how I feel like she's so rude to me. Am i wrong to be frustrated about that? Sure I did a horrible thing to her yeah, but it was hardly 100% my fault that we ended up breaking up, and I also always did so many great things for her when we were together. Every day I took time to do nice things for her and stuff. So it frustrates me now that she never gives me the time of day. I need to start every single conversation, she texts me basically as if she has to pay by the letter. She never has asked me how my new exciting job is I started 2 weeks ago. Little things like that. She says she wants to still be friends and stuff, but when I tried to talk to her about this stuff, she basically told me that I broke her heart and she got over me so get over it. Pretty harsh, but maybe I deserve it, who knows.
              While I don't think you're wrong to be frustrated by her being rude to you,I do think that should be a sign to you that maybe you both just can't be friends. She's obviously scorned whether she admits it or not. She can tell you all she wants that she's gotten over you,which may be true,but it's obvious she's still scorned over it. The only thing you can do since she very obviously doesn't want much to do with you,is move on and maybe even cut contact if you have to.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
              Back Together: August 1,2012
              First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
              Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
              Engaged: January 17,2013
              Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
              Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
              We Got Married! - July 3,2014
              SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
              Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

Working...