Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traveling with food?

Hey everyone,
    So ill be visiting my SO in a little over a month for the first time (second visit but first time for me to go to him) which just happens to land on his birthday. I told him I'd want to make him a cake and he told me what kind he'd want me to make him. (Chocolate cake with strawberry frosting) anywho, if I make it, I'm guessing I won't be able to take it on the plane with me? And if I ship it for when I leave so it can go with me, do you think it will survive the shipping without getting smashed or something? I've never shipped cakes or any food, so I don't know how to protect then /:
    Anyone have expirience with this?
    Thanks
    Kiki

Get the ingredients at a store near his house and then bake the cake at his place?
    first met in 2008 -- started talking online again in 2011 -- decided to go on a date in 2012 -- actually started dating on our first visit in August 2013 --
    second visit in February 2014 -- third visit in June 2014 -- fourth visit in September 2014

Comment

Yeah I think the best option, if possible, would be what Anoulie said, and bake the cake at his place. It could even be fun going to the grocery store somewhere else and having to come up with compromises and realizing later that it makes an even better cake. Maybe he can even help you! I know I love grocery shopping and baking/cooking for and with my SO! But we're international so that really is our only option.

Comment

You should be able to travel with cake, but you probably won't be able to bring the icing on the plane - unless it's actually on the cake. It will have to go through the scanner, though, and if the TSA person is in a bad mood you may not be able to bring it with you.

I vote for buying the ingredients and baking at his place.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Yeah I mean I've definitely thought of that, thing is he is living in a dorm on base cuz he's in the airforce. And ill be stayin in a hotel on base...so not sure how I'd get a hold of an oven and baking utensils. Hell, who knows if ill even be able to get ahold of a mixer for the frosting over there unless Of course I buy it...

Comment

Last time I checked it's no outside food allowed, period. I would definitely just buy what you need when you get there and bake it there. You could also try the whole cake in a jar thing, google it if you haven't heard of it. I tried it recently for my SO's birthday, sent four jars of cake and an unopened container of frosting, candles, plastic spoons, matches, and sprinkles. Unfortunately, I guess two of the jars weren't sealed properly and they melted in the Texas heat. The other two were fine and he ate them, but even if they weren't that great he would never tell me. So I guess you could always try that, but really it's much easier to just buy the stuff and bake it where he's at since you're going there anyway.
            sigpic
            Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
            Our first LDR ~ August 2009
            Closed the distance ~ January 2011
            He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
            Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
            He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
            Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
            Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

I've taken homemade pie with me (carry-on) on an international flight and several domestic flights. You'll be fine though I suggest frosting it at his place, unless you're doing a more homemade/rustic frosting design, in which case, just bringing it carry on in a cardboard cake box should be fine. I put the pie in a soft cooler bag (take it out during X-ray because the x-ray can't see through the cooler) and the handles on the cooler bag made it easier to transport.

*Edit: I just thought, they might not allow frosting on the plane if it is not already on the cake because it could be considered a "liquid", I'm not sure. The safest bet would be to either already frost the cake or put the frosting in a sealed container and check one of your bags.
              Last edited by conejita_hada; July 2, 2013, 05:35 PM.
              When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
              no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

There was this time I took the risk and brought donuts (12) on a BCN-GER flight. At the security check, -super crowded and loud- I heard a voice shouting: "Who's the owner of the donuts?", then I thought I was screwed! I said, "it's me", then the guy comes super serious and tells me: "you are not allowed to take them with you" and I made this sad face and only said: "oh, really?, why?". His answer was: "Because we are all hungry here!"... I took a deep breath and laughed.

BTT, I don't know how strict TSA can get, but I think you should be fine, as long as the frosting is already on the cake. Good luck!

Comment

I'm guessing that the icing comes under the 100mL liquid rule then if you don't have it on the cake. (Does the TSA enforce the 100mL rule on domestic flights?)

I've never had an issue with cake/cake-like foods on an international flight, so the cake itself should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                    I'm guessing that the icing comes under the 100mL liquid rule then if you don't have it on the cake. (Does the TSA enforce the 100mL rule on domestic flights?)
                    Yeah they do, I had my daughters bottle of formula examined because i forgot about there still being some left in it when I was coming back from Chile and had to re go through security to get to my gate and they made a huge deal about it until i told them it was formula (the exclusion to the rules are liquids for babies to drink like formula).

I'd say with the icing don't put it on the cake until you get to where your boyfriend is and i'd suggest putting the icing container in your checked bag.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Buy n' bake the ingredients' near your SO's place. That way you will avoid all the hassles with the TSA.

First Visit: September 2016
                      Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
                      Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
                      For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
                      John 4:12
                      I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

I wonder if it depends on the airport security? I wouldn't think cake would be allowed because it's not sealed? :/ I've seen food like cakes and pies get confiscated before too. Maybe it's a matter of what the agent on duty decides is worth confiscating?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris516 View Post
                          Buy n' bake the ingredients' near your SO's place. That way you will avoid all the hassles with the TSA.
                          Again, that would be impossible. I'll be in a hotel, my bf lives on base in a dorm.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiedPiper View Post
                            I wonder if it depends on the airport security? I wouldn't think cake would be allowed because it's not sealed? :/ I've seen food like cakes and pies get confiscated before too. Maybe it's a matter of what the agent on duty decides is worth confiscating?
                            I honestly have no experience bringing food on. I dont know if I should call the airport and ask them xD

Comment

I always take a ton of food for my SO from the UK to the USA. My Mum made him a sticky toffee cake this time around and I took it in carry-on baggage! You'll be fine! If really worried put the icing in a jar in your hold luggage and add it when there but I would say you'd be fine!

Comment

Working...
                              X