I don't know what to do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what to do...

My SO has been really stressed lately, and tonight he was talking to me about how worried he is right now. See, he's in his second semester of his senior year in Brazil, but since he missed the first semester while he was doing the exchange program, he's having a hard time catching up in some of his harder classes. Apparently high school in Brazil is much more intense than it is in the U.S. On top of that, though, he's also worrying because his dad lost the job he's had for twenty years. His mom still has her job, but his dad always provided the biggest part of their income. So now his dad has found a temporary job, but it's out of town, so he's only home one or two days a week. This is stressing out his mom and she's getting emotional about that, and about the fact that they're pretty hard-pressed financially at the time. Pedro is feeling bad too, because, in order to prepare for his college entrance exam (which sounds like a total BEAST from what he's told me) he needs to take an extra course. But, it costs money to take it. And he doesn't want to add to the strain. So he's just really anxious about it all right now, and I don't know what to say or do to help him

Any advice?

The best advice I can give you right now is to just be there for him. Listen to him and try to keep him relaxed.

Comment

Well unfortunately there's not much to be done. The best you can do is be supportive and be his shoulder when he needs someone to listen while he vents or expresses his worry.

This may seem an odd idea that I'm not sure would amount to much depending, but if there's anything you do craft-wise whether it's something simple like making friendship bracelets or earrings or anything else, perhaps doing a bit of a fundraiser in his name where you are might help? I know we don't always have enough of our own money to send their way and some people are against that for various reasons, but if you could do stuff like that to earn just a bit to send his way to help with the financial issue I think it might be worth the effort. Course that's depending on if your guy wouldn't be too prideful to take it to at least use towards paying for that class if nothing else.

That aside, just do your best to remain just about insanely positive for him. It hurts us when our loved ones are hurting but when they need a pillar we sometimes have to swallow it, plaster a grin on our face, and make sure they get through it one day at a time.

Comment

You can't affect any of those things so the best thing might be to just be there for him and let him rant and vent if that is what he needs but don't go seeking it out either if he wants to be quiet.

I agree with LMH that maybe making a gift of sorts and sending it to him might cheer him up, prehaps make it a secret so he won't know that you are doing it. That way one day he'll check the mailbox and voila a gift from his soulmate. That would be neat. =)

Comment

Working...
        X