ahhhhh! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ahhhhh! :)

My SO just got my plane ticket and I am leaving September 12th, Im so nervous and excited! Im freaking out cause I have never flown before and have never been by myself away from my family. Is my mom able to walk me up to at least the security part?

Im just kind of confused about the whole printing the ticket out at the airport...I know there will be a lot of signs, I should be fine.Are airports really that complicated? x)

I don't think airports are complicated, but then again I have flown so many times since getting in this LDR that I might be biased. Each airport is different, but from my experience people can hang out with you until you get through security - so your mother will be able to help you where to print your ticket and check your bag if you have one. When you go through security, they check your ID and your boarding pass - that's where your mother won't be able to be with you anymore. After they check your ID and boarding pass your carry-on items will get scanned and you'll have to pass through either a metal detector or a full body scanner. The agents are typically fairly good at telling you exactly what to do so just follow their instructions. Just a reminder: empty all pockets and take off any items that have substantial metal (I'm thinking a belt buckle, for instance) and hats/jackets/shoes.

The only time I've had a problem with the body scanner or metal detector was when I forgot to remove my belt. I got frisked then which is not the best of experiences but as long as you relax and remain polite you'll be fine. Get there with plenty of time to go in case there are long lines in security (I usually plan for 2h, even though the security lines at the Kansas City airport are pretty good) and so that you don't feel rushed. At any point, if you're confused as to where to go, you can ask an attendant and they'll point you in the right direction.
    So, here you are
    too foreign for home
    too foreign for here.
    Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

That's awesome news!

Don't worry, my fiance just experienced his first plans trip as well, and he did fine. Your mom will be able to be with you up until security. Only you can get through security. Honestly doing this on your own for the first time can be scary, but its really not that bad. There are lots of people around to help you. Just tell them it's your first time flying and you're a little unsure of what to expect. There's lots of signs too, all you really do is follow signs, just like driving.

Good luck!
      sigpic
      Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
      Our first LDR ~ August 2009
      Closed the distance ~ January 2011
      He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
      Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
      He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
      Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
      Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Oh great, I guess it does not sound to hard haha, Thankfully the flight should be pretty short..like a few hours. It was mainly just the airport part I was scared about, when I get on the plane I should be good.

I can just get kind of freaked out in crowds of people, Im kind of shy.

Comment

I'm kinda shy too, but if you go to public school you'll be able to handle airport crowds. It really just depends on the day, the time of the year, and what airport you're at. If it's a nonstop flight (no connecting flights) then that's even easier.
          You'll be fine, just make sure you have your stuff organized (ID, boarding passes, etc) so you can keep tabs on them.

No biggie!
          sigpic

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

You will be fine try not to worry All else fails just ask someone that works there and they will help you. Hope you have a great trip
            ~Shaunna~

*Distance isn't an obstacle when it comes to love, but rather a great reminder on just how strong true love can be*

We're engaged 2014 - save $$, 2015 - get married, 2016 - make the big move!

Comment

Originally posted by ushiwakafox View Post
              I'm kinda shy too, but if you go to public school you'll be able to handle airport crowds. It really just depends on the day, the time of the year, and what airport you're at. If it's a nonstop flight (no connecting flights) then that's even easier.
              You'll be fine, just make sure you have your stuff organized (ID, boarding passes, etc) so you can keep tabs on them.

No biggie!
              I am actually homeschooled, haha but I can handle it. ^_^

Comment

Thanks again everyone, ^^

Comment

Originally posted by oxytocinbite View Post
                  I am actually homeschooled, haha but I can handle it. ^_^
                  Omg, you know when I was typing that out I thought to myself "what if she's homeschooled?"
                  lol but either way people from all different walks of life and backgrounds fly, you'll be just fine
                  sigpic

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Working...