First Real-Life Date! We did it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Real-Life Date! We did it!

So it finally happened and I went on that first real date with the guy I've been IMing with for months.
    Some backstory: We actually met in late 2008 when I was an exchange student in the States and became good friends with his sister and hung out with their family a lot. Then in 2011, we somehow started keeping in touch again (sporadically) and a year ago, he actually asked me out (which kind of came as a surprise for me, because I hadn't really seen him this way before). We knew it was unlikely that it would happen, us living on different continents and all, so we agreed to date people in our own countries and just try to forget about all this. Well... obviously, that didn't work out so well, and when I got a pretty good scholarship in April, I decided to spend some of this money on a trip to see my host family and friends again -- and to go on a date with this guy. Ever since I booked my flight in May, we've been talking almost every day. It was just great. We weren't able to skype very often due to my crappy internet connection, and when we did, it was somewhat awkward, but still good.
    So let's come to the actual date part of this post. He came to pick me up from my hosts' place at 6 pm, and man, my pulse was going crazy by 5:58 pm. It just all felt somewhat unreal... when I finally saw him. We hugged briefly, and I barely said anything while he talked to my hosts (people from my host dad's church who've really started to like me in the 10 days I've been here). I could've just stared at him for ages...
    So we went out to eat and to play putt-putt golf and it was only a little awkward. In fact, it felt quite natural to be with him, but it was more of an "as friends" atmosphere (except for the lame sexual innuendos we liked to make, haha). Then we still had time until my "curfew" (2 am), so we decided to go to a drive-in movie theater and I think you know where this is going. We just talked and made fun of the movie for the first hour or so until he suggested to go sit in the back seat (very smooth, very subtle, right). And we did and he put his arm around me and I just felt very safe and comfortable (emotionally; physically, not so much, because his backseat is tiny). And we didn't say much and kinda-sorta kept watching the movie until he pretty much predicted the way it would end because if you've seen a lot of movies, you can kinda tell what the formula is. So we decided we didn't need to pay attention anymore and just started making out for, like, half an hour until the movie ended. I was a little surprised that he was moving forward so quickly, and I wasn't as into it as he was, by far, but I guess that'll come in time (thoughts?). Anyway, he drove me home (we stopped at some sketchy gas station on the way back and I made sure I was decent before going back), he talked to my host a little (the host took us to see hummingbirds in the garden, really cool) and I got a hug before he left.
    Aaand that's basically it. I had a great time, so did he, and on Sunday I'm going to live with him and his family for the rest of my stay. Just thought I'd let y'all know how it went since I had some people asked me to in my introduction thread.
    So thanks for reading and have a great day (hopefully, with your SOs)!
    first met in 2008 -- started talking online again in 2011 -- decided to go on a date in 2012 -- actually started dating on our first visit in August 2013 --
    second visit in February 2014 -- third visit in June 2014 -- fourth visit in September 2014

Super exciting! Are you attracted to him?

Comment

Originally posted by NikkiP View Post
      Are you attracted to him?
      Yes, very, but (I hope this isn't inappropriate for this forum) sexually I wasn't turned on or anything even though he clearly was. I mean, I enjoyed it, but I could think of more fun things to do. Maybe it's an acquired taste, like alcoholic beverages or coffee. I haven't really been intimate with another human being before, so... we'll see what happens.
      first met in 2008 -- started talking online again in 2011 -- decided to go on a date in 2012 -- actually started dating on our first visit in August 2013 --
      second visit in February 2014 -- third visit in June 2014 -- fourth visit in September 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Anoulie View Post
        Yes, very, but (I hope this isn't inappropriate for this forum) sexually I wasn't turned on or anything even though he clearly was. I mean, I enjoyed it, but I could think of more fun things to do. Maybe it's an acquired taste, like alcoholic beverages or coffee. I haven't really been intimate with another human being before, so... we'll see what happens.
        It's possible you may still feel awkward and nervous. Over time, that dissipates and you will probably feel more comfortable around him. You just need to give it some time. Good start!!!

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Anoulie View Post
          Ahhh! I'm so excited for you!!! I haven't seen my SO in over a year's time now, and I'm nervous for the next time we see each other. I've changed and my tastes have changed, so I'm hoping it's still the same as before.

First met: June 2012
          Became Committed: June 04, 2012
          Entered an LDR: July 01, 2012
          Next Visit: October 2013!

XXX XXX

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle, rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Comment

How exciting! Congrats
            ~Shaunna~

*Distance isn't an obstacle when it comes to love, but rather a great reminder on just how strong true love can be*

We're engaged 2014 - save $$, 2015 - get married, 2016 - make the big move!

Comment

Sooo I'm gonna give y'all a little update on things. August 12 (Monday). J and his sister came to pick me up because the plan was I'd stay with them for the remainder of my stay in the US. I don't wanna get too detailed because he's sitting right next to me and we're about to eat dinner, BUT it's been simply great. Who woulda thunk? I'm just really grateful that this is happening and that we seem to be such a good match and I guess I'm just really in love I won't bore y'all with any of the cheesy romantic stuff, but we're happy and we're determined to make this work. A visit is planned for February (he's coming to Germany) and we'll be trying to close the distance in 12 - 18 months.

Cheers! Katie

Comment

Whooo! Very very happy for you.

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                X