Things to cook for the two of you . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to cook for the two of you . .

Im going to stay with my boyfriend in 8weeks ..
    Im not good at cooking but hes going to be working 3nights im there so i thought me having dinner made for when he gets home would be a good idea ..
    Only problem is ive never made a meal before lol ..

Anyone know any simple things to cook? Thank you : )
    ♥ Sarah Louiise ♥

Do you know what kind of food he likes and if he has any food allergies? Just a good thing to know when you are cooking for someone else. =)
    Well, pasta and rice isn't that difficult to make and you can make a pretty easy tomato sauce by using tomatoes and different spices. If you want it really easy you can buy tomatoes on can that is alreay chopped up and just put them on a pan and then add the spices. Fry the meat on a skillet and that shouldn't be so difficult but then again that depends on what kind of meat you have purchased.

The awesome thing about cooking is that you can improvise all you want and sometimes it ends up tasting even better with the things you improvice.

Comment

You can also make him a cake! Even if it's just a box mix. That's what I did. Betty Crocker is a good friend of mine. ... I would also agree with pasta otherwise. I can't cook myself, but pasta I can do.

Comment

I was going to start practicing at home but the food here in London is so different from the food in America ..
        I was going to try chicken but if i don't cook it correctly it will makes us both ill .. Im sure im not that bad lol ..
        I don't think he has any allergies but im glad you mentioned that so i can ask him : ) .. Thank you x
        ♥ Sarah Louiise ♥

Comment

Originally posted by NaNi View Post
          You can also make him a cake! Even if it's just a box mix. That's what I did. Betty Crocker is a good friend of mine. ... I would also agree with pasta otherwise. I can't cook myself, but pasta I can do.
          I actually burnt pasta once! lol .. Didnt put enough water in the pan .. But im good at it now ..
          I was thinking of making a cake too! .. ill look online for some recipes x
          ♥ Sarah Louiise ♥

Comment

With chicken you can always cut a piece of and check and see if it is pink-ish inside. If it is, that means it needs more time to be cooked.
            And practicing a meal that you want to cook for him is a good idea =)

Comment

If im that stuck im going Mc Donalds & putting a Big Mac on a plate .. He'll never know lol x
              ♥ Sarah Louiise ♥

Comment

Originally posted by SarahLouiise View Post
                I actually burnt pasta once! lol .. Didnt put enough water in the pan .. But im good at it now ..
                I was thinking of making a cake too! .. ill look online for some recipes x
                The easiest recipe you can find: 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake. I already tried it and it worked perfectly, ha.

Comment

I think he'll know it's a big mac, but I'm sure he'll appreciate the effort regardless! Whatever you do, be sure to practice some things at home before you go. To cook a chicken breast is really easy once you figure out how much heat to use and what it looks like when it's done. I find making things in the oven is much more fool-proof than on top of the stove.

A lasagna is actually not so difficult if you use pre-made sauce, and most choices you'll find here are fine for a lasagna. Here is the easiest recipe I found (because it has very few ingredients). Be sure to purchase the no-boil lasagna noodles so you can cut out one step: https://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,183...224196,00.html

I make roasted chicken thighs quite a bit because it is cheap and fairly easy. Here is my favorite recipe, but be aware that it requires a skillet that can be put into the oven (should have no plastic that can melt). https://www.marthastewart.com/recipe...er-and-parsley
                  Note that this recipe calls for sherry vinegar, but I always use malt vinegar (perhaps you could bring some?). Don't worry- the recipe is not especially vinegary, but it does add a nice flavor.

Even heating up a soup and making him a sandwich will be really meaningful for him. It's just nice to be taken care of, you know?

Comment

oh, yes I can help you out with this. I've had to learn how to cook for my gf!
                    Met: 1.20.09 (At School)
                    Starting Dating: 5.22.09
                    Been an LDR since: 8.17.10 (3 hours distance)
                    Last Time I saw my SO: 10.02.10
                    Next time I will see my SO: 10.14.10

Comment

My gf is very picky and LOVES CHEESE. I make this amazing mac and cheese, it's very simple to make. I just get the kraft mac and cheese. Bacon bits (in your salad dressing aisle of any store) and I put more a little more butter then the directions call for. and sometimes I throw bits of hot dogs in there too. It's more filling then just plain mac and cheese and it's easy to start.

Comment

Loaded french fries, get the frozen french fries of your choosing. Bake them (healthier) and easier. Throw some cheese, bacon bits on them, make sure the cheese is melted (throw fries and cheese in mircowave) then put bacon bits and a spoonful of sour cream on the top of the french fry pile, nice appitzer.

Comment

I'm english too- but this is one thing my american boyfriend likes and it's sooooo easy! You get chicken breast and sort of cut them in the middle to make an envelope. Then put a slice of tomato and some shredded cheese with some dried italian herbs in the middle and close the envelope. Then wrap the chicken breast in bacon- secure with toothpicks if it unravels and put in the oven at 400 degrees F for 30-40 mins, sprinkle cheese on top and bake for 5 minutes until the cheese melts. serve with a bag of steam fresh vegetables and there you go!

Also stir frys are easy too- just pick what meat and veggies you want- most grocery stores do packs of veggies too if you don't want to chop them all up, fry the meat till it's cooked through, add veggies and then add whatever store-bought sauce you like- bbq, sweet and sour, whatever your SO's preferance is! thats easier as the chicken pieces would be smaller and cook through faster. hope this helps =)

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                          <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                          The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                          <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                          <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                          Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                          Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nicole View Post

Also stir frys are easy too- just pick what meat and veggies you want- most grocery stores do packs of veggies too if you don't want to chop them all up, fry the meat till it's cooked through, add veggies and then add whatever store-bought sauce you like- bbq, sweet and sour, whatever your SO's preferance is! thats easier as the chicken pieces would be smaller and cook through faster. hope this helps =)
                            Yes, this is really easy. Most stores in America have the frozen meat already cooked and you just need to bake them warm and come wit hthe sauce and veggies all in one bag and it takes a few mintues to make and just serve it over some rice.

Comment

The first thing I learned how to cook was Taco's, they are easy to make and when I first made them for my guy he loved them so I make them all the time.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Working...
                              X