Trouble Sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble Sleeping

Do any of you guys have trouble falling asleep? how do you deal with it?

Lately I have had trouble falling asleep even when I feel exhausted.
    ”I vow to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever. I promise to never forget that this is a once in a lifetime love. I vow to love you, and no matter what challenges might carry us apart, we will always find a way back to each other.”
    The Vow

In general or after a visit??? If its after a visit then try cuddling one of your SOs shirts, ectect. Other than that all that you can do is try to relax. Think if a relaxing picture or maybe put on some soft music/sounds. I know i alwaus sleep better when i can hear it raining.
    Made it official: 12-01-10
    First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
    Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

I don't remember a time where I didn't have trouble sleeping! Ahah :P I have really bad anxiety, so I've always kind of thought that was the reason. I take so much longer than my SO to fall asleep, and then staying asleep is a whole different story. What really helps me, though, is talking to him before bed (it was great when I was visiting him and we could cuddle before bed, which just made my sleeping habits worse when I got back, but oh well!). But it really depends on you and what works best. Some people find reading relaxing and puts them to sleep, or drinking a warm drink before bed sometimes helps, even listening to calm music. Try a bunch of different things, eventually you'll find something that works. If it's because you are missing your SO, like Black_Halloween suggested, try cuddling with a shirt or even just hugging a pillow (this is what helped my boyfriend sleep after I left. He usually has no problem at all, he can fall asleep in seconds.) If it is something like stress or anxiety, writing down what is bothering you could help you sort out those thoughts and think them through so you don't have to worry about them when you're trying to fall asleep. Hope this helped
      started dating: 12/08/12
      "i love you": 04/12/13
      el paso: 07/24/13 - 08/05/13
      montreal: 12/13/13 - 01/03/14
      el paso: 01/05/14 - 01/19/14
      montreal: 05/30/14 - 07/27/14
      el paso: 07/27/14 - 08/18/14
      el paso: 12/27/14 - 01/16/15
      el paso: 06/02/15 - 08/17/15
      san antonio: 02/04/16 - 02/08/16
      san antonio/el paso: 06/03/16 - 06/21/16

Comment

After a visit, I will sleep in one of his shirts or put his picture next to me so I can sleep "with" him. Otherwise if I can't sleep I will do a body scan, it's a meditation technique where you focus on relaxing every part of your body (toes, tops of feet, bottoms of feet, ankles, calves, shins, etc.) working your way up and ending with your head. By the time I make it up to my shoulders I'm usually so relaxed and sleepy that I can't finish the exercise.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by alittlemind View Post
          I don't remember a time where I didn't have trouble sleeping! Ahah :P I have really bad anxiety, so I've always kind of thought that was the reason. I take so much longer than my SO to fall asleep, and then staying asleep is a whole different story. What really helps me, though, is talking to him before bed (it was great when I was visiting him and we could cuddle before bed, which just made my sleeping habits worse when I got back, but oh well!). But it really depends on you and what works best. Some people find reading relaxing and puts them to sleep, or drinking a warm drink before bed sometimes helps, even listening to calm music. Try a bunch of different things, eventually you'll find something that works. If it's because you are missing your SO, like Black_Halloween suggested, try cuddling with a shirt or even just hugging a pillow (this is what helped my boyfriend sleep after I left. He usually has no problem at all, he can fall asleep in seconds.) If it is something like stress or anxiety, writing down what is bothering you could help you sort out those thoughts and think them through so you don't have to worry about them when you're trying to fall asleep. Hope this helped
          I think it's both missing him and the 'stress/anxiety' of him being away. (He is working on cruise ship. Haven't seen him for 6 months but only 4 more left.) the passed few weeks have seemed a bit harder. Missing him more and more worried about us. I love him very much and have become very scared that I am going to lose him.
          ”I vow to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever. I promise to never forget that this is a once in a lifetime love. I vow to love you, and no matter what challenges might carry us apart, we will always find a way back to each other.”
          The Vow

Comment

So it sounds like anxiety from missing your SO. Maybe try a combo of sleeping with something of his and trying to find something to relax your mind/body.
            Made it official: 12-01-10
            First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
            Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

I don't know what it is. Of course I miss him and think about him during the day, but I just dread the evenings recently. I can be so tired, but for some reason I won't let myself fall asleep. They just feel empty..
              The Vow

Comment

I always have those trouble in sleeping. Since I'm working night shift and a lot to think about. I don't know.
                What helped me a lot is to take vitamins(with iron) drink milk about an hour before I lay in bed.
                Helps me feel calm and relaxed and sleep right away.

I know it's hard to sleep even when you feel you're tired, exhausted or whatever.
                But having a peace of mind will be a great help.
                If you miss your SO, send him a letter or a text.
                I always sleep with my SO on skype, but it doesn't make a difference I guess.
                I'm still a thousand miles away from him. Maybe a positive mind could help a bit.

Comment

This is me right now. I know I need it, but Im so sad....
                  I love you Nathan <3
                  sigpic
                  5/25/09 <3

Comment

Originally posted by butlerfly View Post
                    I think it's both missing him and the 'stress/anxiety' of him being away. (He is working on cruise ship. Haven't seen him for 6 months but only 4 more left.) the passed few weeks have seemed a bit harder. Missing him more and more worried about us. I love him very much and have become very scared that I am going to lose him.
                    Can you talk to him at night before you go to bed? If you can, then have a chat with him. Keep it lighthearted and positive. As in, don't talk about your relationship problems. You don't want to go to sleep with a heavy heart. If you go to bed feeling positive, you will be able to sleep easier. And if you're worried, why not try to bring them to the open, and discuss them with him?

As for general advice, try to stay away from electronical stuff like laptops, TVs etc. for a while before you sleep. You could try reading a book, something that you read for pleasure rather than something deep and thought provoking. You need to get your brain to wind down, not be more active. Try putting on some soft music for a while before you sleep, and leave it on as you do (it helps if you can set a timer on your music player to automatically shut down after a set time). When you're sleeping, try to focus on that music if you must focus on anything. Follow the ups and downs of the music, try to get lost in it. And keep the same song on, because your brain tends to relax when it's repetitive and familiar. You could try having a warm drink before you sleep, and make sure that your room is dark. If your room is quite light, consider using an eye mask. Write down your worries, or make a to-do list of things you have forgotten to do today so you will remember them for tomorrow. And lastly, try to get into some sort of routine... get up at the same time, and go to bed at the same time. Soon, your body clock will adapt and you'll automatically be sleepy at night.

Good luck, I hope it gets better for you. x

Comment

Originally posted by kiara_silver View Post
                      This is me right now. I know I need it, but Im so sad....
                      Same here.. But think of the things that makes you happy.. Or entertain yourself until you get tired and sleep,,
                      By the way, I noticed you SO's name is Nathan.. So is mine his name is Nathaniel

Comment

It is 2 a.m. and I can't sleep either. I don't know what to do. I want to sleep but my body just won't let me. I feel like I haven't talked to him enough today and I'm falling apart. I was doing so well, too!
                        So, here you are
                        too foreign for home
                        too foreign for here.
                        Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

My girlfriend visited less than a week ago and I have barely been able to sleep since. I always have the same problem after a visit though. I try to keep myself busy and preoccupied during the day so that I don't think about how much I miss her 24/7, but in the evenings/when trying to sleep all I can think about is how much I miss her. We have two teddy bears which we each keep and look after - her bear has my cologne on it and my bear has her perfume on it. We both sleep with them at night and it makes us feel at least a little bit closer at night.

Comment

No because we sleep with our earpieces on lmao hear every snore.. But when we dont talk for some odd reason yes i toss and turn. Keep him close to your heart, in my thoughts and dream of the happy times together. Or buy one of those body pillows lololol

Comment

Originally posted by Ejoriah View Post
                              It is 2 a.m. and I can't sleep either. I don't know what to do. I want to sleep but my body just won't let me. I feel like I haven't talked to him enough today and I'm falling apart. I was doing so well, too!
                              When I can't speak to Stephen and miss him, I send him a message anyway. It's strange even though it's not 'live' chatting and I know it may be a few days before I get a reply I feel that but closer and better after sending him message. It may just be me telling how much I miss him/love him, about a tv programme I've just watched, anything. And I'd like to think it makes him smile when he logs on and see my messages..... Although sometimes I can go over the top.
                              The Vow

Comment

Working...
                              X