Girlfriend troubles, she wants to break up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girlfriend troubles, she wants to break up

I'm going to preface this, it probably won't make much sense in any coherent order but these are my thoughts as they come to me. I'm quite upset and distraught so please bare with me.

So, firstly let's start by saying this. She hates it when I post on this site, but hey, some people don't like reason and logic.
    We've been together for nearly a year and a half, I'm 20, she's 17 and we live a province apart. Me in BC her in Alberta.
    We have never met, we nearly did but I'll get to that later.
    Her family knows about me, but due to how my family is, it hasn't been possible for me to tell them about her without them freaking out, calling me a pedophile/creep for meeting a young (relatively) girl online and falling in love. But that's life
    She's been getting more and more distant over the past little while, saying she isn't happy.
    I suggest us doing things like playing games together (lately our game of choice was animal crossing), skyping, writing stories that were a cross between a story and roleplaying, or doing anything but complain to each other.
    Her uncle passed away and the funeral was on the same day as my birthday, we did nothing really to celebrate which I thought was only fair and understandable but in hindsight maybe it wasn't. She did however send me a blanket and a card with a letter in it.
    The letter was super romantic, it smelled like her and was amazing how she worded her love for me.
    Fast forward a week from my birthday, I was going on a family road trip which was strategically planned to place me just over an hour away from her.
    She wouldn't come see me. I asked her sister, she was willing to and her whole family "turned against her" when she refused.
    It hurt me immensely knowing that that was our best chance to meet and spend some time in person and she turned it down.
    Things have been getting worse at a quicker rate instead of better. Last week I decided to stay at home for a conference and not join in on the second half of our family vacation partly to get more time with her (my cabin has no internet or cell service and I wanted some alone time to patch things up with her.
    She said she had no interest in skyping or doing anything that I had planned. She mentioned an awesome friend named Avery, I asked about her and found out it was in fact a him. He lives an hour away and they were planning to meet (met him online)
    I was growing more and more depressed and frustrated, it seemed everything I tried wasn't working and the more I pried trying to figure out what was wrong, the more she pushed me away and the more desperate I got. The cycle continued. I told her that I was really stressed and needed her, she told me "I can't be your everything, go seek help or something"
    Later this week, she tells me that she just spent the night on the phone with Avery, and talked him out of being suicidal.
    She never would talk on the phone with me, regardless of how I asked or begged or went about it. I've been trying to get her to talk to me for nearly a year now. It seems for the past few months all we've done is text and send the occasional picture, we've not skyped in forever.
    At this point I snap and decide to give her some time alone, in her defense I just vanished for 2 days and met the rest of my family at the cabin, the whole time I was replaying in my mind what she said, and was in denial that Avery was more than a friend.
    When I got back home I was expecting a flood of texts, all I got was "Avery is preparing me to talk on the phone with you".
    A single text.
    She hasn't said I love to to me in two weeks and has told me she has feeling for this other guy, and he has them for her.
    That he's a polar opposite of me and pushes her more than I did.
    That we were never in love and that it was just a childish infatuation.
    She told me she wants to break up.
    Surprisingly, she made a grown man cry with that.
    I saw it coming but was so blinded with love and clinging on to hope to not see it coming.
    She says it's because he's closer and whatnot and here I am left with an empty void.
    It feels horrible, and I'm not really sure what to do anymore, I know I want her to be happy but it seems selfish for me to want to be happy as well.
    After some talking she said she would give me another chance and we'd be on a break instead of broken up.
    I have a feeling that it will just prolong things and she already has he mind made up.
    Reading over the letter she sent for me on my birthday, I don't know how you get from here to how she was when she wrote it.
    Lastly, I don't see how any guy with any sort of moral can do what he is doing. Stealing another man's girlfriend seems... wrong and against the unwritten 'bro code'
    To sum it all up and put it in a nutshell, I'm stressed out about things in my life and am going through a dark rough patch and my girlfriend is potentially leaving me for another man. I need some advice on how to cope with the breakup in a healthy manner or how I can possibly patch things up with her when she isn't willing to try anything. Half of what I ask her, she turns into me making personal attacks against her to evade the questions. I can't easily explain to my family why I'm so sad and this kind of really sucks.

In the end all I really need is a hug, even a virtual one and now I'm without my girlfriend who was always there for me for the past 7.5% of my life.

Dude, I'm sorry to hear that, it all sounds harsh and in truth, I think you are so much better off, and I'm not just saying that to comfort you! She's treated you pretty badly, and how she can refuse to do all those things with you but do them with this new guy? bullshit mate!... I won't give you a virtual hug, but I'm sure some of the females here will :P

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
    2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
    3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
    4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
    5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
    6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
    7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
    Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
    UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

Well you made me smile so thanks for that! You're probably right in what you said, it's just kind of hard when she was my first love interest that I actually had the courage to say how I felt and after a year and a half (or 4 days shy of it) I didn't really see it coming.

Comment

First things first, I am really sorry about what happened.
        I just want to ask you to reread what you've put, then ask yourself what advice would you give to someone else if they were in your position.
        I know you're hurting right now, and it'll take some time to heal, but I think you know what's best for you. You deserve to be treated better, being in a relationship is a two sided thing, and if you can't find that in someone, you're better off waiting for someone else!
        As for comfort, I always resort to chocolate (although, that's not healthy..), a lot of people find excersise a good outlet!

I hope you can find a way to move past this! Stay strong!
        Last edited by Chlo; September 3, 2013, 07:51 AM.

Comment

*sends virtual hugs*

It hurts like hell when you fell in love with someone and this person just throws you away. It is like rippig your heart out so it's no surprise you cried. 17 yo girls fall in and out of love quite easily but it's not excuse to treat you badly.

It takes two to tango as they say so if she wants to break up you can either fight for her and keep believing that she will come to her senses or put an end to it and concentrate on living your life.

It will hurt, it will hurt like hell and it will be difficult but I'm sure there is someone better waiting for you out there, someone who will love you as much as you love them.
          “We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.”
          ― Robert Fulghum, True Love

Met UK 3.08.2012-5.08.12 ->UK 1.12.12-3.12.12->PL 8.02.13-16.02.13->PL 1.06.13-9.06.13->UK 3.08.13-17.08.13->UK 26.10.2013-02.11.2013->PL 30.11.2013-08.12.2013->PL 22.03.2014-29.03.2014->UK 31.05.2014-07.06.2014->PL 06.09.2014-13.09.13->UK 20.12.2014-03.01.2015
          Closed the distance >21.03.2015
          sigpic

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about such a horrid situation... You deserve to be with someone who feels as strongly about you as you do about them. The others have really hit the nail on the head here-- I think you know what's best for you. I wouldn't recommend stretching the pain out to last longer and prolonging the healing process.

Best of luck, dude. *Virtual hugs* There are better things to come

Comment

I really feel for you. It hurts so much when someone you love decides to spend their energy on someone else instead. Especially since this is your first love interest.

Everyone else made some good points, I would just like to add that you can't hate Avery for what he "did." He had no obligations toward you - but that girl did. A man cannot "steal away" a girl that doesn't want to be stolen away. And you deserve so much better - you deserve a girl that won't want to even put herself in the situation where she's giving more attention to a guy that isn't her boyfriend.
              So, here you are
              too foreign for home
              too foreign for here.
              Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Hey man it shouldn't of happened to you. You sound like a Great guy and a caring boyfriend. I'm sorry it happened to you.

Honestly though, you'd be better of without her. I mean yeah, it will be super hard at the start of the break up but in the long term she isn't really that girl for you. You wouldn't want a girl like her to treat you like that all your life right?

You can't hate that other guy, Avery or whoever it was. It seems like He did know about you long before she told you about him, as he was 'stealing' her away from you. But on the other hand she choose to talk to some guy who she just met rather than talking to you. You have to respect her decisions.
                And she's a teenager, she'll probably treat this other guy the same way she treated you in the future. and then she'll fall in love with someone else.

It's probably over already between you two, even when she said lets go on a break she's more likely made up her mind to break up.

It will get better in time. I know it's super hard to let go of her but in this situation this is the best thing to do for yourself and her.
                If you want to move on, I suggest you send back the gifts she sent you and try to move on.
                Of course We're here to help anyone and that's you
                You deserve so much better. You deserve someone who really cares about you and understands your situation.
                Last edited by barret95; September 3, 2013, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Wow like what everybody else said, you are better off without her.
                  Made it official: 12-01-10
                  First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
                  Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

*gives you a virtual hug*
                    You deserve someone who wont treat you like that, its just wrong.
                    You sound like an amazing and caring guy.
                    You are better off without her, like what everyone else is saying
                    sigpicYou had me at hello

Comment

I would be blessed to have my LD boyfriend try even half as much as you did. She was lucky, men like you are very rare to find. Only time can heal you and you take as long as you need. ***HUGS*** Someone great will come along thats meant just for you.

Comment

I too offer a . But I agree with everyone else that you're better off without her. If I were you I'd do as suggested about the gifts and just go ahead and break it off with her for the sake of your sanity. Because realistically the longer you let it go on the longer it's gonna take to heal and the more it's going to hurt. It sounds like more then anything she's just stringing you along now because most likely like the others have said,she's already made up her mind. I agree with the others also about 17 yo girls falling in and out of love easily. She's not grown up yet,she doesn't know what she wants (even if she believes she does) and she has very minimal maturity. You go your own way and live your own life and let her do the same so she can do some growing up. It'll do you both good.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
                        Back Together: August 1,2012
                        First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
                        Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
                        Engaged: January 17,2013
                        Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
                        Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
                        We Got Married! - July 3,2014
                        SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
                        Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

*hugs* I'm sorry about this difficult situation. My LDR from years ago kinda ended up like this...except it was more like I was getting cheated on the entire time xD Anywho, I don't think this girl is serious, and she's young so its normal for young chicks to not know what they want. (I'm only 19 so I don't really know why i'm acting like I know so much more xD) While it will take time for you to heal, I think you will find someone more mature and who will devote their love and energy toward you. Good luck, and always here for support

Comment

I don't know but I feel quite hollow and empty. The first girl who actually showed any interest in me other than to use me for my skills. (Example to have me fix their computers/technology help) Girls don't seem to appreciate nerds/geeks/whatever label for the people that make the world go around the everybody seems to dislike. Due to my choice of career and schooling and I guess my overall interests I don't really run into many girls as it is so she was kind of special to appreciate me for who I was and not trying to change me. I know you guys say that it isn't the guys fault, but according to her, he is fully aware of the situation. Yes it isn't completely his fault, but I believe he is still accountable to a certain extent. As for sending back the gift... I would but I'm too cheap and not motivated enough to package it up and spend $15 to mail it. I may end up giving it to some homeless person or burying it in my closet. In a sense my a good portion of my life revolved around this one sided relationship and in hindsight it was a little pathetic I guess and I should have picked up on the signs a long time ago. I still can't believe she's sending me mixed signals as she's running off with somebody else and after so long. I know she is still young, but heck, so am I. The wonders of teen drama I guess. I think I may block her number and start erasing her from my life, putting away things that remind me of her and such to make getting over her easier. I know that splitting up is the right thing to do, but a good irrational part of me still doesn't want to let go and wants to fight until my dying breath for her.

I really need to work on writing more coherently on here.
                            Anyways thanks for all of your guys (and gals, but I believe guys encompasses both genders) for your kind words of advice and support, this forum is awesome for that.
                            Though I'm a lurker on here I'll kind of miss you guys D:

Comment

I didn't read your whole post, but it sounds like you'd be better off without her. She seems to constantly have an excuse to not meet you, skype, etc. but she's more than willing to meet a friend online? It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm really sorry this happened to you!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X