Need Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice Please

Ok so I live in Austin, TX and my girlfriend lives in San Diego, Cal. We've been in a long distance relationship for 5 months now. I plan on going to see in 3 months from now. One thing really worries is that She is going to go to a university and I don't know if I should just let her go so she could enjoy the college life. I'm just so lost I want to do what is right for her. Help me out and let me know what you guys would do!

I'm not sure what you mean by "let her go to college"; Break up with her or tell her not to go?

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
    Married April 18th, 2015!!
    Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mims27 View Post
      I'm not sure what you mean by "let her go to college"; Break up with her or tell her not to go?
      Sorry for the confusion but I do mean break up.

Comment

why would you break up if everything is good between you? has she suggested she wants to?

Comment

Originally posted by lea22 View Post
          why would you break up if everything is good between you? has she suggested she wants to?
          I just dont want to chain her down during college.

Comment

If she wants to be with you and loves you, then she wont feel chained down. Don't over think it.
            My SO is in college as well and not once did she feel chained down.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
            Married April 18th, 2015!!
            Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Has she ever mentioned it ? I think it's up to the two of you how you want to handle this. I'm also starting university next month and it has honestly never crossed my mind to break up with SO because of it. I understand what you mean by "college life", but if you both want to make it work and trust each other completely, than I don't really see a problem.

Comment

I think the idea that you need to be single to enjoy college is nonsense, tbh. So she won't be flirting around and maybe hooking up... she can still go to parties, join organizations, make new friends, explore classes she'd never think of taking before, etc etc. Just encourage her to get out there and not just come home to talk to you and never do anything, and you'll be fine.
                So, here you are
                too foreign for home
                too foreign for here.
                Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Originally posted by Ejoriah View Post
                  I think the idea that you need to be single to enjoy college is nonsense, tbh. So she won't be flirting around and maybe hooking up... she can still go to parties, join organizations, make new friends, explore classes she'd never think of taking before, etc etc. Just encourage her to get out there and not just come home to talk to you and never do anything, and you'll be fine.
                  I agree completely. The only thing stopping one person from 'enjoying' university life is insecurity and not letting the person have a social life.

They key is communication and making time for one another.

Comment

Unless she has personally said to you that she wants to break up, then I wouldn't do anything of the sort! Many of us here are all in University ... and guess what? We're still in LDRs too! You can enjoy uni life just the same being in a LDR. So long as you don't try to control her and limit her social life, I don't see why you'd have to let her go. I know you'll want to talk to her all the time, but you will have to compromise and give her time to do her own things and have fun. Other than that, a LDR is completely viable. You'll only hurt her if you try to push her away now.

Comment

In my opinion, you should talk with her. Communication is so important in situations like this. I don't think you would be holding her back, I mean; she's in an LDR with you. It's kind of a big deal. Going to school and taking a program or classes shouldn't change that. She's with you right now. Deciding to be with someone and not be able to see them every day and live in different states says a lot about how she feels about you to begin with!
                      If I were in your situation, I would ask her how she feels about it all. College can really be anything you make it, and so many people are in college and in LDRs at the same time. She knows what's right for her. Don't assume that breaking up is the only option.

Comment

I just want to say thank you so much to everyone that replied. Just wanted to update you guys on whats going on!

We are in fact going to continue this relationship I just didn't how much she wanted this. To be honest it feels great.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelolo View Post
                          I just want to say thank you so much to everyone that replied. Just wanted to update you guys on whats going on!

We are in fact going to continue this relationship I just didn't how much she wanted this. To be honest it feels great.
                          That's great to hear! Good luck to the both of you! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                          X