How to propose a guy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to propose a guy?

My SO and I are living together (inexplicable how it feels after being a LDR).
    From things I have heard from him I think he won't propose me till we be elder or pregnant. Anyway, I feel his love and I really want to marry. I decided to propose, I wrote a letter to send by message on Facebook. BUT I'm sure there's a better way, I just don't know how.
    I thought about sending a message because every time I try to talk serious he distracts me doing or saying something funny to break the ice. But it also breaks my enthusiasm.
    Any suggestions, please?

Unless there's something special about proposing in a facebook message, I'd do it personally. I'd be highly upset if my SO proposed via facebook. I probably wouldn't even take it seriously.

When you're trying to propose and he's doing something funny, bring him back by saying "I really want you to listen to me right now". Or do it real quick so he doesn't even have time to get off topic. Do you get home earlier than him? Wait for him at the door and as soon as he walks in ask "WILL YOU MARRY ME?" with his favorite candies. Or something.

Best wishes!

Comment

I think that when you are living with your SO, and want to marry them, it's important to just be open and honest with them. I don't see anything wrong with just asking him what his plan is, and telling him that you want to marry him. You'd rather not it be in the far future. Just be careful how you do it. If he is not ready, he is not ready and there's nothing you can do about it. I say just have a talk with him, see where he stands, and if he strays from the subject, just bring him back to it gently. Again, I'd say to just be careful in bringing it up and don't be pushy or obsessive about it. If marriage is important to you, just let him know.
      started dating: 12/08/12
      "i love you": 04/12/13
      el paso: 07/24/13 - 08/05/13
      montreal: 12/13/13 - 01/03/14
      el paso: 01/05/14 - 01/19/14
      montreal: 05/30/14 - 07/27/14
      el paso: 07/27/14 - 08/18/14
      el paso: 12/27/14 - 01/16/15
      el paso: 06/02/15 - 08/17/15
      san antonio: 02/04/16 - 02/08/16
      san antonio/el paso: 06/03/16 - 06/21/16

Comment

A Facebook proposal sounds like a terrible idea to me, it's so impersonal and, if I'm to be honest, childish sounding. He might be distracting you because it's not something he's ready for yet, and doesn't want to discuss right now, but if you want to find out how he feels about marriage, ask him. First find out how he feels about it in general, that will make things clearer. Good luck.
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I suggest you talk to him about getting married before you propose. What makes you think he doesn't want to get married yet? Does he want to get married at all? What does he consider the appropriate time to get married?
          Does he know you want to get married?

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

I agree with Moon. If he keeps distracting you he's probably not ready but not wanting to tell you directly. Please have a conversation with him about where you both stand in the relationship before you propose to him.
            So, here you are
            too foreign for home
            too foreign for here.
            Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

I echo what the others have said. You should definitely talk about it with him first and make it clear that you'd rather not have any funny business about it because it makes you nervous. You don't want to put yourself in a position where he feels compelled to accept or an even awkward situation where he tells you he's not ready.
              “The ties that binds us are sometimes impossible to explain. They connect us even after it seems like the ties should be broken. Some bonds defy distance and time and logic; Because some ties are simply… meant to be.” - Grey’s Anatomy

>Little Box<

Comment

seconding others.

Talk to him first. If he doesn't want to get married even if you propose to him it won't change his mind.
                “We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.”
                ― Robert Fulghum, True Love

Met UK 3.08.2012-5.08.12 ->UK 1.12.12-3.12.12->PL 8.02.13-16.02.13->PL 1.06.13-9.06.13->UK 3.08.13-17.08.13->UK 26.10.2013-02.11.2013->PL 30.11.2013-08.12.2013->PL 22.03.2014-29.03.2014->UK 31.05.2014-07.06.2014->PL 06.09.2014-13.09.13->UK 20.12.2014-03.01.2015
                Closed the distance >21.03.2015
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aniay View Post
                  seconding others.

Talk to him first. If he doesn't want to get married even if you propose to him it won't change his mind.
                  I agree with this. If you are not sure how he will respond you have no business getting married.
                  Don't mean that in a bad way though. He might just need some more time
                  Whats meant to be will find its way
                  "If you say you can't, you just don't want to"

Comment

Thanks everyone, I followed your advice and I spoke to him in person. Surprising he stayed serious when I told him I had something important to tell him.
                    I got nervous anyway, he found it cute. Hahaha. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X