No announcement yet.

Unsupportive Friends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have many friends, but the ones I do have are generally extremely happy for me. They can tell how happy I am to be in a relationship with him, so they recognize that it's a "real" relationship and they don't try to undermine me.

I have one friend who isn't supportive, and I just don't bring up my relationship around him.
    So, here you are
    too foreign for home
    too foreign for here.
    Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Y'all are right! I need to just tell her to keep her opinions to herself. Or just not listen to her and let them get to me

Comment

In the beginning my Mom and the rest of family and friends all thought I was nuts. I think by the passing of time and still staying strong we have shown our commitment and now they all want to meet him when he visits next time. I would never allow any of them to say anything negative about him to me in the beginning and when a comment came up I told them he was not going anywhere and if they did not like it they would only push me away. Mom stopped the trash talk after a few months and even though I am pretty sure I am still talked about behind my back about it, nobody says a bad word to my face anymore.

Ironically two of my best friends split with their close distance SO's and me and my LDR man are stronger than ever.
        "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It really does suck. Some great friends we have
          I have two "friends" who don't think it will work out (distance and "he just wants money") and/or don't consider my relationship a real relationship. I've given up trying to explain. We don't hang out much anymore. It's a shame they're not in relationships anymore, either. They used to love telling me about their SOs and I listened to all kinds of relationship problems.. Do they ever ask me, how mine is going ? No. Just negative comments.
          It used to really upset me but I realised that I don't need that.

Comment

I understand completely. I don't get any support from any of my friends. They don't try to hook me up with anyone else, though. they just always change the subject and i can tell they don't really care to hear about my SO.

I think i could understand our friends acting this way if our SO's were bad to us, but it seems they don't even listen enough to see if we're happy or not.

Comment

Working...
            X