Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please let me know if I'm crazy.

Hi everyone,
    So my boyfriend met in March of this year and Everything was great. About 2 months into our relationship he told me he had applied to a medical program overseas before we started dating. The summer went by and we found out he got in and I was happy for him because it was a great opportunity but sad because he would be away. He suggested we break up and I told him I didn't want to. I asked him if he wanted to break up so he could date other people and he said no. So I told him I would be here when he got back and I would be faithful, which I have been and will continue to be. So yes this is your average LDR situation. But here are 2 things that make thing extra difficult:

-I can never talk to him. He's in a country where he rarely has internet access and sometimes doesn't have electricity.

-This is a 5-6 year program. He will come back home during the summer, but that's the only time I'll see him.

So here it is: Am I crazy for thinking this could somehow still work? Some people say "Oh it's crazy for you to wait that long for someone, your 25! Your not getting any younger!" And others totally support me. I love him so much it's ridiculous. Waiting doesn't bother me one bit. So what do you think? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Thanks in advance.

I kind of understand what people are saying... you dont know him for that long and after 5years of waiting it might turn out he s not right for you...
    "If you say you can't, you just don't want to"

Comment

Is there snail mail? You could always writ each other letters.
      "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

I'm not in a similar situation but I just wanted to say, if YOU think you can or want to at least try, then why care what everyone else thinks? This person makes you happy and you love him. If you don't give it a shot then you may regret it right? If it works out, then great. If it doesn't, let's say after a year, then at least you will have gave it a shot and not wondered, "what if?". You know? I hope that makes sense, it's quite early and I'm not caffeinated! lol

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
        Married April 18th, 2015!!
        Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

I pretty much agree with everything Mims said. Will it be extra hard? Yep! But if you think it is worth it and you both are willing to put in the effort, I say go for it. If snail mail is an option, I would take full advantage of that.

Also, I'm 25 and still consider myself quite young. In 5 years, I'll only be 30. I still have the rest of my life to settle down. If I had to wait 5 years for my SO, I would do it in a heartbeat. What is 5 years of waiting compared to potentially a lifetime together?

Comment

Working...
          X