Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who's not getting to visit SO over Christmas/holidays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who's not getting to visit SO over Christmas/holidays?

*raises hand*

Sigh.

I had kinda hoped that M and I might be able to figure something out with visiting around the holidays, but that's pretty much officially out. He's submitting his phd at the end of Dec/early Jan, so he'll be working like crazy on the final finishing touches.

My 30th birthday is December 26th, and I think us not being in the same physical place for that combination of a "big" birthday *and* Christmas/New Year makes it worse in my head. It just really, really sucks.

Yeah no chance of me seeing my SO for Christmas/New Year/His birthday either, but I am able to go to him for thanksgiving, so that's something my first one with him.

Comment

Aww, just celebrate after he hands in his phd in 2014!
      You ll have three things to celebrate
      EXTRA big celebration!
      "If you say you can't, you just don't want to"

Comment

With all the drama going on with my family lately, I'm seriously considering it. It's either that or go spend that week somewhere warm, with a beach and alone! lol

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
        Married April 18th, 2015!!
        Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

We won't do Christmas. I will get to spend Thanksgiving with his family this year, and he is visiting for Thanksgiving here in November. I'm really tempted to decorate my apartment a few days early so we can go ahead and have our own Christmas together.

We have never done time together over the Christmas holidays. I refuse to pay the price for a plane ticket over the holidays, plus my work place is super busy so time off is a pain. It isn't a huge deal to either of us at this point though.

Comment

well we where hoping to spend christmas together but do to some bills and other stuff i think i can wave it goodbye

Comment

I'll finally get to celebrate Halloween with him (I've never celebrated it with a bf before. Weird timing) but probably not thanksgiving or Xmas. I see my entire family those days and he isn't ready to meet everyone which I completely understand, but I think we'll get to spend New Years together :0 def a first tho and things can always change.

Comment

I would LOVE to spend the holidays with my SO. Unfortunately, that will not happen this year. The soonest he can visit is early next year.

Comment

My SO and I won't have a Christmas visit this year either, and we have never had a Christmas visit. For a few reasons, flight tickets would be more expensive, and two, direct flights from my province to Manchester only run during May to October and we'd worry too much if it included a layover. And I really don't want to land in London again.. I did that my first visit only, because I didn't realize how far away it was from my SO.. because the UK looks so small! haha plus I planned the visit for the November time so direct flights only went to London so I had no choice. But that was closest to Christmas visit we had, our first visit.. it was a bit Christmas-y, his dog wore a santa collar and I can't remember anything else Christmas-y but yeah, any visit is nice.

But that's okay, we will spend another OoVoo Christmas together, enjoying a much needed break from the stress of studying, and one day in a few years we will close the distance and be able to spend every holiday together. It's going to take a few years, and it's going to be longer than a few months after Christmas til our next visit, but it's worth it.
                  Last edited by squeeker; September 27, 2013, 09:39 PM.

Comment

My boyfriend isn't coming home till next summer and there is pretty much no way for me to go visit him (I'm in the US and he's in Cuba) so I got about 8 months until I see him again...

Comment

We were hoping for a visit for Christmas through New Years, but today I got a job offer. Which I gladly accepted! But the downside is that's it in retail so the holidays are busiest around then.
                      So I can't take time off. Hoping my SO can come here to visit!

Comment

Does anoyone know what the best time is to book a flight ticket for Xmas? A month in advance? 2 weeks in advance?
                        "If you say you can't, you just don't want to"

Comment

Nope, nope, nope. This year will be the fourth year in a row that we haven't been together for the holidays (making that a total of 0 spent together).
                          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJ22 View Post
                            Aww, just celebrate after he hands in his phd in 2014!
                            You ll have three things to celebrate
                            EXTRA big celebration!

Good idea! (We're hoping for February, so maybe I'll get to be with him for Valentine's. And post-phd celebration.)

Comment

It sucks for all of us who can't see our SOs, but seriously, I'm loving the ability to hear people commiserating! It sucks but we're all in the same boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X