Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting his family

Hellooo.. not been around for a while.
    I'm going to be flying to Sydney on Monday afternoon to stay with Mike for a week at his parents house. I've met his Dad, but I haven't met his Mum yet, or any of the rest of his family, aside from those in Brisbane that I met when I met his Dad.

I seem to be shifting between -really.fricking.terrified- to 'actually, its gonna be fine!'

His Mum absolutely hated his ex, and gave some pretty bad reasons for it, such as the fact she was British, as am I. Mike said it was only when they'd broken up that his Mum told him that she didn't like her because she never bothered to speak to them, and would just hide in his room all the time. Now, I am usually able to speak to anyone and I like to think I would be the opposite, despite actually there being a time when I probably would have been the same, I have anxiety issues, and it used to be so much worse than it is now, thankfully I can actually talk to people now, and smile, and be friendly and somewhat outgoing. That being said, if I get there and she makes it clear from the off that she doesn't like me, I'm not going to want to be around her. Of course, I would make the effort for Mike's sake, and I'm going to. I guess what worries me most is that if I walk in the door and she decides she hates me immediately, I'm going to be stuck under her roof for almost a week.

I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me, am I overthinking this?? He's starting to think the reason I'm so apparently not keen to meet her is because I don't care and I'm not serious about us. But I've told him, that that's actually the opposite to what I'm feeling, and that the reason I'm so off about this is because it means so much to me that it goes right.

On the plus side, I'm excited to see Sydney

I know meeting the family is very stressful, and I can see why you're so worried about meeting his mom. Just be yourself, be friendly to her, and if she doesn't like you, well, then that's her own problem. She would have no reason to not like you if you put an effort into being cordial with her. If she chooses to dislike you from the get-go without even getting to know you first, then don't even worry about it. That's her own problem. Just be polite and friendly and try to make conversation with her, and she shouldn't have any reason to dislike you! Good luck

Comment

Working...
    X