What does this mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does this mean?

Me and my SO talk on chat pretty much everyday. We have been together for sometime now and have been getting more and more serious. He tells me he loves me, he misses me and we are together in person every 3 months or so for about 88 days. A few days ago while we were chatting but both gaming we had a good 20 minutes go by that we did not say anything. Then he sent me this:

I love you baby.
    I really love you.

I replied, "Awww, I really really love you". His reply was "That is sweet.". Then the conversation changed to something about a game or daily event. There was something about that exchange that is confusing me. Where did that come from? Why the "really" in there? Did he not mean it before that comment? Was he thinking of maybe a "but" coming afterwards he did not say? What did the "That was sweet " mean afterward, did he expect me to say something deeper? Am I just being weird or paranoid?

Have any of you ever had a comment from your SO that is sweet in one way but confusing in another? I know I should say something to him, but if he just meant what he said, then I will feel a fool. I should mention, this came when we had been discussing him possibly moving here instead earlier in the night. I am just curious to see what you all think about this. I promise I won't flip out regardless of what you say as long as you don't tell me this should have been a blog.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
    Benjamin Franklin

This totally should have been a blog (couldn't resist!)

Have you ever been momentarily overwhelmed by your feelings for someone? It sounds like he had that moment. If everything else has been all fine and normal, I would try to not over analyze this, but ask him gently, if it'll make you feel more at peace with it. You aren't weird, or paranoid, I always overthink the same kind of thing, I drive myself nuts. Seriously, try not to worry, it sounds pretty normal to me.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I wouldn't read too much into it My SO's first language isn't English so he says things all the time that I don't understand. I ask him if it's a big deal, like with something important that I really have to understand, otherwise I don't worry. Also, I tell him that I really love him all the time and he says it to me. I think it's just a different, maybe a stronger, way to tell someone they love you when you're feeling romantic.

It seems like he just wanted to tell you that he loves you

a gente se completa neste abraço

Comment

I agree with moon, it seems to me like he was just overwhelmed or having a moment of realization just how much he loves you
        “We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.”
        ― Robert Fulghum, True Love

Met UK 3.08.2012-5.08.12 ->UK 1.12.12-3.12.12->PL 8.02.13-16.02.13->PL 1.06.13-9.06.13->UK 3.08.13-17.08.13->UK 26.10.2013-02.11.2013->PL 30.11.2013-08.12.2013->PL 22.03.2014-29.03.2014->UK 31.05.2014-07.06.2014->PL 06.09.2014-13.09.13->UK 20.12.2014-03.01.2015
        Closed the distance >21.03.2015
        sigpic

Comment

That's a sweet dilemma to have it's misplaced though, kind of like when your SO looks at you and says, "you look beautiful tonight" and you think, "does he not find me beautiful otherwise?" Of course he does, but inspiration comes at certain moments. Maybe he remembered a sweet moment between you two and got overwhelmed. Just enjoy it

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
            Have you ever been momentarily overwhelmed by your feelings for someone? It sounds like he had that moment. If everything else has been all fine and normal, I would try to not over analyze this, but ask him gently, if it'll make you feel more at peace with it. You aren't weird, or paranoid, I always overthink the same kind of thing, I drive myself nuts. Seriously, try not to worry, it sounds pretty normal to me.
            I agree with this. One day before our first visit my man and I were on TeamSpeak just chatting and then we got really quiet for a good 10 minutes being busy with whatever we were doing and all of a sudden he sighed and said "I really do love you" and it felt very sweet, but also sad at the same time. The next day he told me that he was just overwhelmed with his feelings for me and had to tell me.

So yes, I had that too
            Nothing to worry about!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
            Married: 1/24/2015
            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I'm with the others on this. It sounds like being overwhelmed with realizing he loves you that much, and he wanted to say it right then. I don't think you need to worry, but I understand how easy it is to start questioning or reading into things through chat.

Comment

You're overthinking like a true woman
                "If you say you can't, you just don't want to"

Comment

This is so cute to me. I remember last time when I visited my SO, he asked me to fetch his water which was beside me. I turned to get it and when I turned back around he was staring at me intently and said very seriously "I love you". Needless to say, I was sputtering like my tongue was tangled in a knot. He went back to watching TV like nothing had happened, while I sat there trying to figure out what the heck I did to make him say it like that. He had so much passion coating his voice and he said it like his life depended on it. I mean, I was reading and he was watching TV, my hair was a complete mess and I was in my jam jams doing the most innocent thing--handing him water. It was bizarre and wonderful all at the same time.

I think you're either a) overwhelmed like I was, or b) just overthinking it. Someone telling you they love you should always be a good thing, but sometimes we over analyze and find flaws where they don't need to be. Enjoy it.

Comment

You guys are the best. I feel so much better now, and I was prepared to hear some stuff actually confirming some of fears. I just want to hug him so bad right now. I can almost hear his voice when I read those words again.
                    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I agree with the opinion that it's a "suddenly overwhelmed by feelings" thing. My SO and I do this. Last time I did I was just chatting with him and suddenly it hit me how lucky I was that I - little old me - had been fortunate enough to meet him, and that I am now in a kick ass relationship that is everything I ever dreamed a relationship could be. It happens to him, too. Sudden realization or reminder of how awesome it all is
                      So, here you are
                      too foreign for home
                      too foreign for here.
                      Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

I love the random words of love. When it happens out of the blue, or while your in the mist of things. My SO has done that, will randomly say something sweet and I ask did you look at a pic of me or think whats he doing? It was out of the blue, but no, he just was thinking of me. Or when suddenly he leaves this long message after we had said our goodnights. Not that my SO's never done this, but it's not a daily thing. Don't over analyse it, just love and enjoy it!
                        I love you Nathan <3
                        sigpic
                        5/25/09 <3

Comment

That happens all the time, and it's a good thing!
                          It's honestly really great that you have a boyfriend who will just say those things out of nowhere because some people don't have that.
                          It's nice to be reassured every now and then.
                          Sometimes your heart just feels so overjoyed with love and happiness that it's important to tell someone that you love him.

Comment

Working...
                          X