Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to ease the mind of a jealous partner - advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to ease the mind of a jealous partner - advice?

I'm going on a trip this weekend. I'll be attending some really fun events, and I'm super excited about it. The problem is that I am going with another guy (not my boyfriend), and my boyfriend (who lives over 1000 miles away from me and can't go with us) is jealous that I will be traveling alone with another man. Now, I know nothing is going to happen, or ever would happen, between this other guy and me. He has a girlfriend (who is also unable to go with us because of her work schedule), and I see him as more of a brother/friend anyway. What can I say to my boyfriend to help ease his mind? I tried to keep this post short, but if you would like more details, comment and let me know. I'll be happy to elaborate. Thanks in advance! ^_^

Im going to beat a dead horse by saying this but if you dont have trust you dont have a solid relationship. Theres nothing you can say to ease his mind other than he needs to trust you.
    Made it official: 12-01-10
    First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
    Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

What is the purpose of the trip? Did you plan it to go with him or were you asked when his gf couldn't come?

Comment

This trip was something that I discovered and wanted to do, but I don't drive so I needed someone to go with me that had a vehicle. I asked a male friend of mine at school because he is into this kind of thing (it's a Renaissance Festival on Friday and a Zombie Walk on Saturday). I asked him to invite his girlfriend, because I had a feeling my boyfriend would be less jealous if another person came along. She couldn't make it though. My boyfriend says that he trusts me, but he's never met this other guy, so he doesn't trust him. I kind of get his feelings. I know I would feel jealous if he was traveling alone with another woman. Unfortunately, the only way I'll be able to go is if I ride with this guy from school. Also, the trip is already paid for (registration for the zombie walk and tickets to the renaissance festival are non-refundable), so I couldn't cancel even if I wanted to (which I don't).

Comment

Originally posted by ginnydragon54 View Post
          This trip was something that I discovered and wanted to do, but I don't drive so I needed someone to go with me that had a vehicle. I asked a male friend of mine at school because he is into this kind of thing (it's a Renaissance Festival on Friday and a Zombie Walk on Saturday). I asked him to invite his girlfriend, because I had a feeling my boyfriend would be less jealous if another person came along. She couldn't make it though. My boyfriend says that he trusts me, but he's never met this other guy, so he doesn't trust him I kind of get his feelings. I know I would feel jealous if he was traveling alone with another woman. Unfortunately, the only way I'll be able to go is if I ride with this guy from school. Also, the trip is already paid for (registration for the zombie walk and tickets to the renaissance festival are non-refundable), so I couldn't cancel even if I wanted to (which I don't).
          This excuse is bullshit. It shouldn't matter if he trusts the guy or not, as long as he trusts you because no matter if he tries something, you won't take the bait. He doesn't trust you.

My advice is go but text him when you can during the day. Take pictures and send them to him so he knows he is on your mind. Other than that, there is nothing you can do. His jealousy isn't your problem, it's his. He is the only one who can fix it. I used to be a jealous person until I met my SO. While I was single, I worked so hard on loving myself and building my self- confidence. It really helped and I've never been jealous after that. I trust my partner, we both have friends of the opposite sex and it doesn't effect us one bit.
          "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

Jealousy is natural. Let him be jealous.
            Go if you want to go, keep him updated involved and do whatever else you feel would ease his mind.

I personally wouldn't go. Course, I am a jealous person too and don't believe in double standards. We have our relationshio boundaries, and we keep to them.
            Is he a goos friend? I know if my boyfriend told me he was going to some big event with a woman from school who he had never told me about before... well, I would be super uncomfortable with that.
            Last edited by miss_jaclynrae; October 9, 2013, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rugger View Post
              This excuse is bullshit. It shouldn't matter if he trusts the guy or not, as long as he trusts you because no matter if he tries something, you won't take the bait. He doesn't trust you.
              Trust is earned by acting trustworthy. The OP said she would feel the same if he went away with another woman. What she's planning to do isn't technically wrong but she's doing something she wouldn't like him to do. I think this isn't just his problem, they both need to re-establish the boundaries and stick to them.

Otherwise, I think the advice on how to act during this trip is good, keep in touch with him, share pics etc. Then when you come back have a chat with him about what the trust boundaries are in your relationship and how you can stick to them more consistently.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Malaga View Post
                Trust is earned by acting trustworthy. The OP said she would feel the same if he went away with another woman. What she's planning to do isn't technically wrong but she's doing something she wouldn't like him to do. I think this isn't just his problem, they both need to re-establish the boundaries and stick to them.

Otherwise, I think the advice on how to act during this trip is good, keep in touch with him, share pics etc. Then when you come back have a chat with him about what the trust boundaries are in your relationship and how you can stick to them more consistently.

Than they both need to work on their jealousy. What I meant was no one can fix his jealousy but him. She could do everything "right" ( which is controlling and wrong) and he would still be jealous. That is NOT healthy in a relationship.
                "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

I say try to make him part of this trip. Texts, pictures anything. I know that helps me a lot when my GF is out doing fun stuff and I can't be there with her.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                  Married April 18th, 2015!!
                  Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Being carless in Kansas myself, I need to rely on other people - sometimes males ( gasp!) - to get places. I disagree that jealousy is natural. Wishing you could be there to be with the other person, sure, but jealousy... not so much. In addition to what has already been said, I would suggest reminding him that, since you don't have a car, you have to go with other people. Would he rather you stay home on your own and missing out on things, or would he rather you have fun?
                    So, here you are
                    too foreign for home
                    too foreign for here.
                    Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

I don't know, I'm not a jealous person at all, but I wouldn't be happy about this either. I think that there are some boundaries when it comes to male/female friendships that you just shouldn't cross, when you're in a relationship, and that's one of them, sorry. If you were going as a big group, it would be different. I know that's not what you want to hear, but there are just some sacrifices to be made to keep our partners comfortable, at least in my opinion. I don't mean extreme sacrifices, or dealing with someone who's extreme in their jealousy or controlling in nature, but at least understanding our partner's boundaries, and respecting them.
                      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                        I don't know, I'm not a jealous person at all, but I wouldn't be happy about this either. I think that there are some boundaries when it comes to male/female friendships that you just shouldn't cross, when you're in a relationship, and that's one of them, sorry. If you were going as a big group, it would be different. I know that's not what you want to hear, but there are just some sacrifices to be made to keep our partners comfortable, at least in my opinion. I don't mean extreme sacrifices, or dealing with someone who's extreme in their jealousy or controlling in nature, but at least understanding our partner's boundaries, and respecting them.
                        I agree. I would not be liking this either.
                        Last edited by Hollandia; October 10, 2013, 04:33 PM.
                        "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Without knowing more information, I don't think that you should go on this trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Ejoriah View Post
                            Being carless in Kansas myself, I need to rely on other people - sometimes males ( gasp!) - to get places. I disagree that jealousy is natural. Wishing you could be there to be with the other person, sure, but jealousy... not so much. In addition to what has already been said, I would suggest reminding him that, since you don't have a car, you have to go with other people. Would he rather you stay home on your own and missing out on things, or would he rather you have fun?

You are telling me it is unnatural to be away and be jealous of experiences your SO is doing without you?
                            If you look up jealousy, it isn't a negative word. It is feeling envious of someones advantages, and I think it would be unnatural to not feel that way at times in an LDR. Heck, my SO is off in some beautiful city experiencing amazing things with people who I have no idea who they are... it makes me jealous. I don't think that is unhealthy, jealousy can BECOME unhealthy 100%, that doesn't mean it automatically IS though.

If it was me, I would have asked a girlfriend, or a relative, or someone else, not some guy who my SO had never met or was not accustomed to. Besides, it isn't as if she is relying on him and using him... he is going too, they are doing this thing together, and I get her boyfriend feeling upset about it.

If she thinks it is worth it then by all means she should go. I just know I wouldn't think it was worth it, and I know I wouldn't like it if roles were reversed.

Comment

Hmmm.. I'm kinda torn on this one, too. I see Moon's point for sure, and tend to agree with it.. I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of trips with one other guy who isn't your boyfriend. It would be different if it was a group of friends, or if you were single. Are you sharing a hotel room?

Is your boyfriend jealous in other ways, or is this the first time it's really come up? There are some things that, as Moon says, are kind of the common 'sacrifices' that get made as compromises for both parties being comfortable with the relationship, boundaries, partners' actions, etc. and it sounds like this is one of the ones your boyfriend expects to be different.

Comment

Working...
                              X