Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's just dawning on me what a tool I've been.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's just dawning on me what a tool I've been.

My family isn't close. That goes some way to explaining it.

I'm just now realising how difficult it must have been for my brother to go through his LDR on his own. He met a girl, on a holiday to Seattle, many years ago now and they married the fifth time they met. I recall hearing about all the issues they had closing the distance through my mother. I guess I was wrapped up in my own world at the time.

For my own first visit, to the US, to see my SO, I'm also seeing my brother for the first time in five years. Wow I feel so weird and horrible that I wasn't there for him. Guess this will bring us closer together.

Anyone else have friends or family that have gone through an LDR too?

My mother's side of the family is close, but they don't like me or her because we're poor and have had to borrow money or ask favors. They don't like me because I'm different and my issues apparently make me a parasite. My cousin uses dating sites to meet guys and several have been LDR that come visit her but she has such a bad personality, they never work out and she's ruined the reputation for me.

My best friend has gone through 4 different LDRs with one almost ending in an engagement. Her mother was never very supportive, especially with the last one because he lived in Scotland. She tried her best to break them up and when the guy turned out to be a psycho she did a little "I told you" dance. Another cousin (the aforementioned's brother) actually went through one off and on for 6 years with his girlfriend who was then his fiance, girlfriend, just friend, no longer talking, girlfriend, fiance again. She had to move away to go to Pharmacy school and the distance was hurting them so they were constantly breaking up over the years she was in school, he even dated another girl for 6 months but he realized he loved her too much. She just graduated last month so she's living with him again, they even went to Europe to celebrate.

Comment

Im sorry to hear that but its great that you'll see him again Im sure you'll get closer.
      I have a friend who went through a LDR but even if her parents werent really happy with lettin her go to see her bf first since they didnt know him and stuff they still did, and now I think they are fine with the relationship (she's been livin with him in NZ for about 2 years now)
      I know my bro has been in a LDR in some way. His gf was in Australia to do 6 months abroad after they've been datin 6 months but honestly I cant say what he thinks about my LDR :/ He's never been an internet guy so he probably doesnt understand why I have so many friends and even a bf online without meetin any of them in real life. And right now I dont even know if he knows that I'm dating and if he does what he thinks.
      We dont talk about it so I guess it doesnt matter cause he never adds any comment like "if you'd go out more you'd find a bf" etc so yea...

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
        (she's been livin with him in NZ for about 2 years now)
        hey, just outta curiously where in NZ?

Comment

A woman at my job just moved here from China and hasn't seen her husband since, it's cute after work while she's waiting for the manager to take her home she's on her cell phone talking to him and if her phone rings from our backroom she'll drop everything and run there and she's like 40. She hasn't seen him in 8 months and he has no interest in coming here. Her and I talk about how much we miss cuddling and stuff now so now we hug and have all this inside jokes now, she's really sweet. She barely speaks english so she tries to express what she misses and it's like I automatially understand.
          Met: 1.20.09 (At School)
          Starting Dating: 5.22.09
          Been an LDR since: 8.17.10 (3 hours distance)
          Last Time I saw my SO: 10.02.10
          Next time I will see my SO: 10.14.10

Comment

My cousin met a girl on Xbox Live and she lived in Pennsylvania while we live in Maryland, so it's not a long way off but it's not exactly close either. They didn't see each other on a regular basis, but she would come down summer breaks and vice versa. They ended up breaking up sometime last year because of the distance and how hard it was. He was really depressed, but he's been seeing a girl for several months now and he seems happy again. But it's sad to see the distance ending the relationship

Comment

My sister is in a LDR. She met this girl through an online dating site and they have been together for a couple of weeks now. It's fun to see her smiling every time she gets a text from her or a call, because i can see how i act in her. Silly girl that she is.
              She's lucky though, they're are only 1-2 hours away from each other if you take a train so they can visit every month or more often.

Comment

Aw, well I'm happy you'll see your brother again! This will probably make you two closer. I don't know anyone else in a LDR at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by BoogleBee View Post
                  hey, just outta curiously where in NZ?
                  Auckland

Comment

Originally posted by loveonspeedial View Post
                    A woman at my job just moved here from China and hasn't seen her husband since, it's cute after work while she's waiting for the manager to take her home she's on her cell phone talking to him and if her phone rings from our backroom she'll drop everything and run there and she's like 40. She hasn't seen him in 8 months and he has no interest in coming here. Her and I talk about how much we miss cuddling and stuff now so now we hug and have all this inside jokes now, she's really sweet. She barely speaks english so she tries to express what she misses and it's like I automatially understand.
                    My Aunt, who's a geometry teacher, is friends with a Filipino woman who teaches there. She hasn't seen her husband or kids in 3 years and when she visited them a month ago, she came back pregnant. I think it's sad leaving behind a spouse or family for the sake of a career or money in another country.

Comment

So an update! My brother's wife and daughter have their aussie visas as of today. All three are moving from Seattle back to Australia by the end of the year. yay!

Comment

Originally posted by Čternity View Post
                        So an update! My brother's wife and daughter have their aussie visas as of today. All three are moving from Seattle back to Australia by the end of the year. yay!
                        Oh that's so lovely! Can I ask why they decided to move back? Is everything ok?

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Everything is fine. They always wanted to raise their family in Australia. My niece is now two and I think they want another baby so they thought it was time to come back. My sister in law doesn't have any family at all so she has no more ties there.

Comment

Originally posted by Čternity View Post
                            Everything is fine. They always wanted to raise their family in Australia. My niece is now two and I think they want another baby so they thought it was time to come back. My sister in law doesn't have any family at all so she has no more ties there.
                            What wonderful news for you!!! Glad things are fine with them!!
                            NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Working...
                            X