SO not feeling the love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heya,

is it financially possible for you to have a flight soon _and_ in July when he gets time off?
    Of course it's not as much fun when you can only see each other at nights but when I was still in my ldr I did that quite a few times. I work as a teacher so I naturally had more holidays than my ex. I didn't really mind filling my days by doing other things and you can also go and meet your SO for lunch To me it was worth the money so if it's possible for you, you should consider it. Sounds like you need a relationship refill

Comment

Originally posted by OperaDiva View Post
      I know this is off topic, but cant you take a course in the meantime? You really don't need that much to get around, it would make you way more independent and might even be good for the relationship. And Spanish isn't all that hard, as far as I remember
      That's acutally a great suggestion! Maybe when you can go visit him while he has to work, you could look up a cheap spanish course, so you have something to do while he is at work? So you'll also be busy during the day and you can spend your evenings together! I think there should be short classes for like a week or two just for basics!

I hope everything works out for you!

Comment

if you dont want to take a class, why not try to find someone locally (is there a college close) that may be interested in helping you learn spanish?
        everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
          I wish I could bring him lunch and stuff while I'm there! I'd have nothing to do all day while he was at work, and I don't speak Spanish, so I'm basically helpless without my SO.
          I'd suggest looking at spanish language schools that you could attend during the day while he's working just to understand some (if you want some suggestions let me know as i have a whole list full of spanish language schools in south america). Also it's not too hard to get around without knowing spanish as long as you understand what the person is asking and know some of the basics, i know that one I do an internship in Chile and I survive without speaking spanish although i'm looking into a spanish language school when i'm there again XD. I'm saying that just to let you know it's possible to survive in a country not knowing the language.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Am I the only one thinking that already not having seen him for a year and having to wait another 8 months is ridiculously long?

Comment

unless you are a complete introvert, go out and explore (unless he lives in a crime ridden area) That would give you things to talk about when he gets home, or when you come back. Take a camera, make a photo blog, learn as you go.
              people imigrate to the US every day not know a lick of English. They get by - so can you!
              everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

I have been working on learning some Spanish on my own! I'm not really in the financial position to pay someone to help me, so it's been all practice with my SO and practice with things like Duolingo. It's not so much knowing Spansh to get around, though, as it is knowing the right Spanish as well as enough about the area to safely go places. My SO lives in a residential area with a lot of thieves (my SO has had his phone stolen in public twice in the time we've been dating), and buses are kind of out of the question for me, as choosing the right bus and not being scammed are difficult even for him. I am very white and very clearly American, which kind of makes me a target. I could go out with his mom, though, if she goes out for something other than to visit her friends. But yeah, maybe I'd just spend my time working on learning Spanish.

@Safihre: It is long.
                Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

if you live somewhere close to a college, you may be able to find a native of where your SO lives. Someone that you could just talk to and find out about the area (that you wouldnt have to pay) Find out things, or places to hang out, where to buy things your SO likes so you can surprise him
                  and there is nothing wrong with hanging with his mom - that could work to your advantage if she likes you ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
                    I have been working on learning some Spanish on my own! I'm not really in the financial position to pay someone to help me, so it's been all practice with my SO and practice with things like Duolingo. It's not so much knowing Spansh to get around, though, as it is knowing the right Spanish as well as enough about the area to safely go places. My SO lives in a residential area with a lot of thieves (my SO has had his phone stolen in public twice in the time we've been dating), and buses are kind of out of the question for me, as choosing the right bus and not being scammed are difficult even for him. I am very white and very clearly American, which kind of makes me a target. I could go out with his mom, though, if she goes out for something other than to visit her friends. But yeah, maybe I'd just spend my time working on learning Spanish.

@Safihre: It is long.
                    Another suggestion on if you visited him, a lot of times the mormon temples in other countries give language lessons for free (both in english and the language in the country they are in). I know in Chile the Mormon church's headquarters they give lessons monday, wednesday and friday in spanish then tuesday, thursday and saturday in english. This is something to look into only if you are interested in it, I don't believe they ask for anything in return for giving the lessons.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Working...
                    X