Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting an LDR so soon after meeting?

Hi guys!

I used to be on here before, with my past two LDRs. One ended before we closed the distance. The other relationship, we managed to close the distance! But then he left me in the span of an entire weekend out of the blue, in a state that I moved to just to be with him. So needless to say, after I moved back to my home state (Florida) eleven months ago, I've just been working and focusing on school.

About a week ago, I was searching on POF just for amusement, since it was late and I was bored. I stumbled across this guy who was my age, shared all of my interests and was kind of cute. Naturally, I messaged him and from there, it went over to texts and we started talking and getting to know each other. That's when i found out that I'd underestimated where he lived, which was about six hours from where I am in the center of the state. (He's at the tippy top.). It was discouraging when we found out, but I was willing to keep talking and he said that he still wanted to talk to me and see where this went. From there, It moved to Skype, where I video chatted with him literally a day after talking to him.

He and I seemed to have a lot in common. We share the same interests, which is video games and anime and things along those lines, we both share the same views, we both are pretty ambitious about our futures (College, moving out of state, etc) and he loves to travel. I think I have more of a connection with him than I did with my last ex and it's pretty exciting.

The problem is, we're not 'official' yet, despite the fact we talk every day through texting, facebook and Skype. He says that he prefers to make it official in person rather than online. I'm trying to understand that, especially since my last two relationships were made official over the internet and as such, it's a bit odd for me to hear that. He lives about six-seven hours away from me. And due to him having low blood pressure that isn't treated yet, it's dangerous for him to drive and not faint, so the closest time he can get to come down to the center of the state is in a month, which is when he'll have the time and funds to meet me.

I don't actually MIND driving up to see him. I've done long trips before many times and that's not a bother. I'd prefer going up there to see him, actually. I'm just more worried that by the time I'll go up to see him, It'll be two-three weeks since we first met and that it's going to be too soon, despite the fact that I have seen and talked to him over skype and we've already found a bit about each other already. While I don't want to make him wait two months to make us official while I get to know him better (especially since he seems pretty eager to do what he can to help me get up there!), I also want to make sure I'm thinking straight and not just diving in head first by going to see him so soon. I'm trying to keep a level head throughout this, to make sure that it's not just my heart leading me irrationally into something that will get me hurt in the end.

Questions:
    • Should I go ahead with the two week visit? Or should I go ahead and wait a month before going to meet him? (NOTE: This all varies on my boss, who ultimately decides if I get the days off or not.)
    • Am I acting irrationally in any way, shape or form? I don't want to be myself at 18 again. (That was a disaster!)
    • Is it strange for someone to want to make a relationship 'official' in person? Or is it just me?
    • How long should the visit be? I'm toying with the idea of it being three days, especially since I have a potentially 14 hour round trip ahead of me. However, At the moment, it's going to be two days.

I hope you guys are able to help and give me advice! Thanks again for reading

I would say go ahead and go visit him. I think 2 days would be sufficient. I'd be less worried about making it "official" though. How about just hanging out and seeing what happens? Look at the visit as a few dates. You don't necessarily need to label it at that point. If anything, it's just putting unneeded pressure on him. Good luck.

Met online: 1/30/11
    Met in person: 5/30/12
    Second visit: 9/12/12
    Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

i personally don't think it's sketchy or strange to want to make it official in person. That's the situation me and my guy are in where in the past he did want me to be his girlfriend but i told him that i want to wait till we meet in real. (which we still haven't met just yet) in my situation i know that hes the only person i want to be with and that hes completely the right guy for me so i know for sure that when we meet that will mark as being official, it's mainly because i want to hear him and see him while he tells me that we're official, i want to know that this all feels real because he was there to say it to me. but i know some people do this aswell to see if they still have that connection to the other person in real, which is why they wait to make sure that what they are feeling is true. i don't really think it's strange at all.

My only concern is that a week seems to be quite quick if i'm not mistaken? in my own opinion i think you should take it a bit slow and perhaps you could still meet up with him and see how both of your feelings are in real and get to know each other in real, but don't make anything official especially if you're worried about the past relationships that you went through that didn't end well. i just personally feel like you need to take time, sure it might feel right now, but get to know him much more. i definitely don't see a problem with you meeting up with him, because this can build up what you both have already. like you could maybe go on a date with him or something. or if you really do want to be official with him then maybe atleast wait a month? well thats all in my opinion anyway but i do hope things work out well for you this time xo

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies, guys!

I think you both are right about making 'us' official. Those two days that I visit will really see how we interact in person, not just through texting or skype, and taking it slow seems to be the right route, despite my heart wanting to just rush in and stake claim to him already. It will put unneeded pressure on him, as Dezface said, and I wouldn't want that, especially since he hasn't really brought up the subject of being 'official' again.

My only concern is that a week seems to be quite quick if i'm not mistaken?
        Oh no! I won't be visiting him within a week of meeting him. It'll be within two-three weeks of meeting him. As for making it official, I wouldn't do it within a week either, even if he wanted to. I intend on taking at least two weeks to get to know him a bit better.

My main concern is when should I go visit him? I'm glad you guys said to go ahead with the visit, but I'm still unsure if I should wait a month or go ahead and see him in two weeks? Mind you, I still really haven't spoken to my boss, so I'm not entirely sure what he'll say to the days off, but I have a feeling that, given that I work retail and it's around the holidays, I may have to wait.

Comment

in the future i think you will definitely look back and see how taking things slow turned out to be so much better for you both. i can understand the feeling of wanting to claim something so quickly and to rush because of all the excitement of liking someone new! i totally understand the feeling. but i do believe that in the long run taking this slow is so much better, and properly getting to know them, knowing also what they want in the future etc. i mean whats the rush really? you have time. i always say that theres no need to rush because you have to become true friends in order to move that to being a persons partner if that makes sense.

Ohh i understand now haha!! i honestly thought you were going to date within a week of only knowing each other.

as for waiting to meet i dont think you need to wait a month, in my personal opinion this is a bit like when you're going on a date you don't need to wait months but can do it whenever you have free time ^^ so i think when you and him have free time then consider going to see him during then. but even if you have to wait then dont see that as a negative ^^.
          Last edited by Neide; November 9, 2013, 06:26 AM.

Comment

I think also that it is good that you are not going to immediately date as soon as you meet him, especially since you've only known him a few weeks. In my opinion the best relationships are based on friendships anyways.. and it's good to build up your friendship before you decide he's the one you want to date. I think it's okay to meet him this quick if you can, because it'll give you a chance to get to know him in person sooner and see how compatible you are in person.

I know though for my SO and I, I can see looking back how good it was our relationship developed slowly, we declared our relationship just under a year of meeting online and met in person a little over a year after meeting online (declared our relationship about 2 months before meeting in person). We declared our relationship after we had were sure of our feelings towards each other and had given it time to see better whether it could be something that lasts.. though I know people often declare a relationship at the beginning of getting to know someone. In a way, I think my boyfriend and I were in a bit of a "relationship" before we met but we didn't define it as such and there were times we did not know if it would work out.. but now we have come to a place when we are increasingly sure of our commitment towards each other. That was just for us. Also taking a longer time to meet was good for us because we both found it easier to begin communications online because that's the type of people we are.

But it's different for everyone and I wish you and your SO all the best!

Comment

My SO and I hooked up for a week (online) before we became official and didnt meet until two years later lol! So no you are not moving too fast.
              Made it official: 12-01-10
              First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
              Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Halloween View Post
                My SO and I hooked up for a week (online) before we became official and didnt meet until two years later lol! So no you are not moving too fast.
                Glad to know I'm not the only one! LOL my SO and I met online and became official maybe 2 weeks after. Then we met in person a month later. <3

Comment

Working...
                X