Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Journalism Student looking for NYC LDR couples to interview

Hello everyone!
    I've been lurking here awhile and absolutely love this forum. I'm a journalism student in a long distance relationship that's been long distance ever since it started--1.5 years, spanning Malaysia-->Boston, India-->Boston and finally NYC-->Boston. It's been high, it's been low, it's been sideways and all around crazy, but I'm still doing it.

For my master's thesis I'm writing an article on long distance relationships! (Because it's hard, because there are so many differences and so many similarities, and there aren't a lot of sources of support out there, and while some of us are lucky enough to have friends and family who are supportive, there really isn't much understanding out there of what it means to be in an LDR relationship.)

I'd love to hear your stories, and I want to do this article right. This is a topic that's very dear to my heart. Could you help me? I'm looking for couples where one person is in New York City and the other is within close enough driving/bus distance so that seeing each other on a weekend is possible. Please message me if you are interested or know someone who would be!

Cheers and take care!

Wish I could help. My SO is unfortunately all the way in Sacramento, Ca. But I'm wishing you good luck on your thesis and hope you find the help that you need.

Comment

I'm right outside of the city and my SO was in upstate NY ( we closed the distance about a year ago). I know it's not exactly what you are looking for, but if you don't have anyone else, I'll do it.
      "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

OMG! good luck, and please make sure we all get your thesis so we can read your final conclusion in LDR!

Comment

Hi Rugger:
          Thanks for the offer! I'm currently am hoping to find a couple that hasn't closed the distance yet, but I will definitely keep you guys in mind.

I&A: Thanks very much!

Comment

Why limit it by so much? LDRs are very complex and I feel like only focusing on one specific type of ldr is a moot point.
            Made it official: 12-01-10
            First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
            Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Black_Halloween:

That's a great question. Restricting the story this much is not my personal preference, especially since some of the most fascinating stories are about couples who are too far away to see each other easily. My program has a strict requirement that a good chunk of the reporting takes place in NYC--they want us to do our reporting in person, and I wanted to be able to report on the journey as well. However, I'm thinking of opening it up to couples who are not within driving distance, especially if I find someone with a particularly compelling story.

Comment

Good luck with your search! I wish you the best of luck with your thesis and LDR!
                sigpic

To read our love story, click here.

Comment

Originally posted by bthyme View Post
                  Black_Halloween:

That's a great question. Restricting the story this much is not my personal preference, especially since some of the most fascinating stories are about couples who are too far away to see each other easily. My program has a strict requirement that a good chunk of the reporting takes place in NYC--they want us to do our reporting in person, and I wanted to be able to report on the journey as well. However, I'm thinking of opening it up to couples who are not within driving distance, especially if I find someone with a particularly compelling story.
                  How about picking the people in New York and not care where their SO's are? Then you'd still do half of the reporting from NYC and you could do the rest via skype and email. I'm currently doing an online ethnography, it's pretty accepted at my university to conduct at least a part if not all research online. Have you asked if doing it partially over the internet is okay? I guess that would take some of the limit off, because I can't think of any couple on here that I know of who fits your requirements.

Comment

Working...
                  X