This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my SO has ADHD...

Anyone else out there?!? He only was recently diagnosed, but it makes a lot of sense when I look at the symptoms. It's sometimes kind of hard on our relationship because he might not answer a text from me or respond to something I've asked him, and I take it as he doesn't want to talk to me, when in reality he may have just been distracted by something else, or forgot, or a number of reasons. Just looking for any advice to make it easier. I still can't help but be hurt when it seems like he's ignoring me, but it may not be his fault...

My SO has not been diagnosed but the issues you've been having are pretty familiar to me. Sometimes he just forgets to call or check in or text back, whatever it may be. But especially in LDRs you've got to be patient and understanding. As you've said, it's probably not his fault. Bring it up to him, let him know it bothers you when he doesn't respond to something, but I'm not sure what else you can do. Best of luck
    started dating: 12/08/12
    "i love you": 04/12/13
    el paso: 07/24/13 - 08/05/13
    montreal: 12/13/13 - 01/03/14
    el paso: 01/05/14 - 01/19/14
    montreal: 05/30/14 - 07/27/14
    el paso: 07/27/14 - 08/18/14
    el paso: 12/27/14 - 01/16/15
    el paso: 06/02/15 - 08/17/15
    san antonio: 02/04/16 - 02/08/16
    san antonio/el paso: 06/03/16 - 06/21/16

Comment

Yes, my SO had ADHD as well. She's very easily distracted and even more so lately because she's been working and going school full time. I've talked to her about it and how I kinda feel like she's not giving me as much attention as she used to and I often feel like I'm last on her "list" of things to do, you know? But at the same time I have to be understanding. She doesn't do it on purpose. I can't really understand how her brain works so I have to work with it. So the only thing I can say is talk to him about it, understand his side but also, talk to him about yours. I'm sure he will understand and try to make more effort.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
      Married April 18th, 2015!!
      Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

My SO has ADD. When he was a kid they tried to put him on ritalin but he reacted negatively to it. I don't really even notice it to be honest. He is just really hyper and always in a good mood (when we're together). He's very emotional, so when we're apart he tends to get depressed quickly. He doesn't have any issues in terms of paying attention to things, in fact out of the two of us, I probably have the shorter attention span. lol. He can often get quite submerged into an activity he is doing - ie. producing music. He can do it for hours. I would never be able to do something that requires that much brain power for that long.

Comment

My SO has ADHD, but he's had it since childhood. I sometimes forget and get super impatient with him. Reading this thread actually reminded me that I should take a step back and not get angry with him when he doesn't respond to me when I want him to. It doesn't really affect our day to day much though. It just takes time and patience!
          [CENTER]

first met: ~10.03
          became official: 28.03.11
          first meeting: 08.06.12 - 24.06.12 (jason in vancouver)
          second meeting: 18.07.13 - 30.07.13 (jason in vancouver)
          our first vacation together: 30.07.13 - 20.08.13 (cynthia in new orleans)
          third meeting: 14.12.13 - 03.01.14 (cynthia in new orleans)
          fourth meeting: 21.05.14-02.06.14 (jason in vancouver)
          surprise! 13.08.14-27.08.14 (cynthia surprises jason in new orleans)
          viva las vegas: 21.12.14 - 24.12.14 (c+j vacation together in vegas!)
          jason's 1st canadian christmas: 24.12.14-02.01.15
          my first mardi gras: 12.02.15-20.02.15

Comment

Thank you all for your advice!! Good to know I'm not the only one out there, and I'm not going crazy! I'm definitely going to try to be more understanding, and make sure he knows how I'm feeling as well.

Comment

Working...
            X