Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting someone on dating site

Hi everyone!

I haven't been here for long time, lot has changed. I am single and happy and i feel like i am ready to finally let someone in my life again. I live in remote area and get to big city maybe once or twice a month so it's a little possibility to meet someone with such lifestyle. So i joined online dating site (i have always been sceptical about them and still am lol) and i have also red so many negative and horrifaying stories how ppl put fake profiles and try to get your money But i feel like it's not all that bad, maybe cause i am such believer in my heart and it's hard to listen to all that. Anyway i would like to hear any comments on this topic. Have anyone met their other half on these sites? And how did it work? Any tips i should follow? Would really appreciate your help, i kind of feel bit down after reading all that bad stuff. I know there are lot of nice guys out there and they suffer from those man who use these sites to get advantage of girls(so sad but reality!!!)

I don't know much about dating websites myself, but my uncle used to use a lot of dating websites. He went through at least 5-6 years of using them until he finally met his current wife. They're happy now, with a cute baby! Hope you find the right person for you Best of luck!!

Comment

I was single for a long time and wasn't having a lot of luck with local guys.
      My mom suggested that I join a online dating site. I was skeptical at first but thought it was worth a shot. I looked at several ones and finally decided on OkCupid (because it was free, LOL. That would end up being one of the best decisions of my life.) In the beginning I got a ton of messages. There was a few messages that I didn't reply to because they were one word messages and nothing caught my attention.
      I went on several dinner dates with a few local guys who were great but nothing really felt right.

All that changed when I got a message in late March from a very handsome man in Texas <3 (over 1,000 miles away from me.) We messaged on the website for a little bit then he told me the app was making his phone die (that's how he asked for my phone number, LOL.) it worked! We moved to texting constantly, calling, FaceTime etc. After a month (and a lot of convincing my parents) I flew to see him in May of this year. That was the best day of my life. <3 December 18th will be our 8 month anniversary! And we're still going strong! We've had 3 visits so far and every time I fall in love with my SO even more. <3 I love him with my whole heart and if it wasn't for that website, we probably never would have met. That's our story! As long as you're careful and know what you want and what you're looking for in a potential SO, go for it! I wish you all the best.

Comment

Well after my LDR ended in Feb 2012 I joined two dating sites. Match.com and geek2geek. I went on several dates with people who caught my eye. One of those dates ended terribly, but not because of a fake profile or anything. That was the day I learned not to date someone til their divorce is final.

Anyway a couple months later and a week before my match.com subscription was set to expire I got a message from this guy. I debated whether to message him back and in the end I did. Best desicion ever! A few messages on the site lead to constant texting and a week later we went on our first date. It was awkward as most first dates arew, but we clicked. Three days after that date 2.....we ended up having three dates in a week lol. We have been together for a year and a half today and moved in together in August. I couldn't be happier and I guess I have match.com to thank for it.

Gl! Happy dating!
        "You want for myself
        You get me like no one else
        I am beautiful with you

I am beautiful with you
        Even in the darkest part of me
        I am beautiful with you
        Make it feel the way it's supposed to be
        You're here with me
        Just show me this and I'll believe
        I am beautiful with you"

-Halestorm

Comment

Thank you everyone for such inspiring stories I feel much better now and i believe everything happens for reason. I felt such strong urge to join that dating site and i just knew i had to do it so hope to find someone special like you guys did. I should stay possitive and stop listening to all bad stuff other say lol

Thanks again, love you all

Comment

Originally posted by kiti28 View Post
            Thank you everyone for such inspiring stories I feel much better now and i believe everything happens for reason. I felt such strong urge to join that dating site and i just knew i had to do it so hope to find someone special like you guys did. I should stay possitive and stop listening to all bad stuff other say lol

Thanks again, love you all
            I love sharing our story. It's not super romantic but I love it. <3 Finding my SO was meant to be. If another website hadn't had a fee, I would never have joined OkCupid. I joined it on a whim. The best decision of my life!!
            From the moment we started talking, I never saw the distance as a deterrent. Just a challenge. Something my SO and I overcome every day <3
            He's my love, my heart and my best friend. <3 and I owe that to OkCupid!
            Be open and honest on your profile but at the same time keep your guard up. There are fantastic guys then there are creepy ones.
            I know you will find the right person for you.

Comment

I didn't meet my bf on a dating site, but it was on the web (pen pal website).

You will be fine As long as you go in with your eyes open but try not to over analyse anything. Most of all listen to your gut instincts if you ever get the feeling that something isnt right
              ~Shaunna~

*Distance isn't an obstacle when it comes to love, but rather a great reminder on just how strong true love can be*

We're engaged 2014 - save $$, 2015 - get married, 2016 - make the big move!

Comment

On another website I go to, this one woman has been on dating sites for a couple of years, went on dates with at least 50 men, and only recently found someone she is with longterm and is in love with. Bear in mind though that she is older and so her expectations (and the expectations of men in her dating pool) may be different. With that though, I can give you a few pointers based on what we kept telling her and her experience.

- Be honest in your profile. Don't try to showcase yourself as someone you're not. If you're not looking for a casual thing, say so.
                - Give it a maximum of three dates. If after three dates you still don't feel the spark, then move on. Don't try to keep something going that isn't there, especially if he is more into you than you are into him (obviously that doesn't apply if you are long distance - this mostly applies if you don't spend too long between initial contact and first date, when you still don't know each other.)
                - Be safe. Only meet in public places the first time, or at the very least let someone know where you're at and who you're with.
                - Realize that some men will just want sex, and will act interested until they get it. Only have sex if you want to, and not because you think you will 'keep' a man if you do.
                - On that note, you may need to talk to a lot of guys to find one you can connect with. Don't lose hope. Don't settle.
                - Don't be afraid to communicate and ask questions. Don't over-analyse things or blow something out of proportion.

Again, just a few pointers from experience on the other website. I wish you the best of luck!
                So, here you are
                too foreign for home
                too foreign for here.
                Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Hi! I met my boyfriend on a type of dating/friendship site. I think it's mostly dating but I call it friendship too because you might just meet people to be friends on it with. It was a small one, not the best, it was orientated towards people with Asperger's Syndrome, or think they have it or are on the autistic spectrum even probably. It was great for my boyfriend and I, I was diagnosed with it but he wasn't at the time (though now is) and it was good for us to be able to start our friendship, which later became a relationship, online, where we could talk to each other without the pressures of real life face to face meetings and we were able to get a whole lot closer quicker than we would have been able to if we met in person.

I'd like to point out too. When I joined dating type sites before I met my boyfriend, I would usually narrow my search to people only within my city/local area, because otherwise there would be so many people on there. But my boyfriend must've been looking internationally.. though I think it was easier to do since there were more males than females on that site. And then he found me and we started talking and now here we are! So my point I guess is don't limit yourself, but also read what Ejoriah said, she made some good points, and realize there are men out there who are not good people, but that's why it's best to take things slow, and at a pace you both are comfortable at. (with the slower pace being the better pace)

Good luck. It might be helpful to just start things out as friends, talk online, get to know each other, see if your personalities click, and then move to video call, and then arrange a meetup. But, hey, that's just what worked for my boyfriend and me. Everyone is different. Some people are better at getting to know people in person first.

Comment

Thanks everyone who shared their experience and i believe that online dating doesn't that much differ from real one cause meeting in person(bars, parties or wherever) you can also find guys who want just sex or turn out to be crazy. Maybe only difference is if you meet someone who lives very far and it takes longer to meet but maybe it's good cause then you can spend lot of time talking and getting to know each other I like to take things slow in relationship and i think i should just be open and not take things too seriously on dating site and if romance comes then it comes if not than it's ok too. I prefer to be friends first and then we will see. I know what I want in men so i can see very fast which guy can be my match by asking different questions.

Thank you again all

Comment

Working...
                    X