Political and religious differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
    Well churchgrim, it is obvious you are not a candidate for an inter-religious relationship (partially judging just from your username). Lots of compromise and meeting in the middle has to happen. Which religious holidays are celebrated? Which religious dress code is followed, and by whom? Which religious format will be followed at important life steps such as marriage, child birth, christening, etc? Even just at meals, will you pray beforehand, and to whom? Which religious diet will be followed, and how strict will you be with that diet? What about feelings towards other religions being "wrong" or "damned"?
    Actually, I got my username from folklore I just liked it - it has nothing to do with religion.
    Obviously as I stated before I don't have any experience having very differing views, but in my opinion it could still be acheivable to celebrate your own religion while having your SO celebrate theirs as long as they're not total opposites. (Please note I'm not saying it would be simple or easy/everyone can do it/I think you're dumb if you can't do it, just that some would be able to make it work) For example: all religious holidays would be celebrated - if the other wants to join in, that's awesome, but you can easily celebrate by yourself? Two marriage ceremonies or combining different traditions is quite common for couples from different cultures/religions. As for diets, I'm a vegetarian and my SO loves meat - but it's never a problem because he understands and respects my diet and never makes it a problem for us.
    Anyway, I don't mean any offense, or to make it seem like I think compromise is a bad thing - like I said I was probably reading the "tone" the wrong way and meant that I hope people don't compromise in a way that makes their religious integrity suffer!

Comment

Originally posted by BabyGund View Post

The Man is atheist. I'm Christian. We've discussed how I'd probably attend church on my own. He's also very liberal and I'm fairly conservative.
      That sounds a lot like me and my bf. I do not force him to attend church with me and he does not try to talk me out of my believes. We agreed on having church wedding (if it comes to it, lol), we celebrate Christmas with me adding a little of religiousness to it and if we have kids, I will talk to them about God, but will let them decide, if it is the way they want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by jana89 View Post
        if we have kids, I will talk to them about God, but will let them decide, if it is the way they want to go.
        I wish more religious people had that approach to raising children. Good for you
        I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...
        X