Finding work after/before trip to SO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding work after/before trip to SO

So, I plan to visit my SO this summer, and right now everything around the trip itself and my stay there is in order (nothing is booked though). However, after talking with my "parents", I'm facing a dilemma when it comes to work. My original plan was to go to my SO shortly after I graduate, then I'd spend about 4-5 weeks there before going home, once home I'd go about applying for a job since I've graduated and so on. My "parents" say it's not the best of ideas, that I should find work before I go, so that I'd have work when I come back. This I agree with them on, but they also said I should consider working for a couple of weeks before I go, but that would not be optimal at all, it'd mean that, for instance, my SO and I wouldn't be together for our 1 year anniversary. I plan to apply for different jobs and so on now, but I'm not too sure on what to do. I mean, if you were in my situation, would you consider working before you go and miss really significant stuff? What are your thoughts on what I've told you as a whole?

I'm a bit lost, so if you have any advice or anything helpful to say, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, I have looked for similar threads, but I haven't found any.
    "The road to success is always under construction." - Lily Tomlin

I'm not sure any job you start at would be ok with letting you take 4 weeks off after only working there two weeks. I personally would wait until after you come back, because if you apply now and get called for an interview during the 4 weeks you're away, you'd have wasted both your and the interviewer's/employer's time.
    So, here you are
    too foreign for home
    too foreign for here.
    Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

I'm in a similar situation. Currently at uni, not working and living off my savings from my previous job.
      I'll soon need some income though because I don't want to be using up all my savings. With a flight booked to see my SO in March, I've decided to wait until I come back. Like Ejoriah said, I doubt anyone would take me on if I tell them that I'll need 5 weeks off in March.
      If your financial situation is okay, I personally would wait until you get back. Then you can concentrate on finding a good job and get a good start.
      Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Ejoriah View Post
        I'm not sure any job you start at would be ok with letting you take 4 weeks off after only working there two weeks. I personally would wait until after you come back, because if you apply now and get called for an interview during the 4 weeks you're away, you'd have wasted both your and the interviewer's/employer's time.
        I agree with this. Maybe you can create a compromise with your parents that makes all of you happy.

sigpic

Comment

You may apply for a jobbut then specify you can work only when you get back. I don't know what kind of Jobs you are looking for, but some places new new people all symmer. It makes no sense to work for a couple of weeks and then go.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I agree with what everyone else has said. It would be quite difficult to find a job and then need a few weeks off right away, unless the job doesn't need you to start until after you would be back but that would be difficult to find. I would see what may be out there when you get back and go from there.
            Our love story:
            Attended the same high school 2004-2007
            Dated CD: June 2009-July 2010
            Reconnected: August 2012
            Began dating LD: November 2012
            Engaged! March 2014
            Closing the distance: December 2015

Comment

Thank you guys for all the help, I really appreciate it! I now know what to do!
              "The road to success is always under construction." - Lily Tomlin

Comment

Before I went to see my SO back in October, I got a job offer that I gladly accepted. I had been looking and applying for jobs for a while. Because I already had booked my flight, I told my manager I'd be out of town. Once I got back I started working. It was nice to have a job waiting for me. It kept me busy when I was dealing with my post visit blues. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck!

Comment

Echoing what's been said, you can definitely start applying to jobs but just say that you can't start until after you get back from your trip. Offer to communicate via email until then (assuming you will have internet access).
                  Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                  Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                  Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Personally I agree with you. Depending on the type of work you're getting into it's unlikely a new employer would want you to work a few weeks, then be away for 4-5weeks. Some jobs might be okay with that, but they're few and far between.

Applying for jobs now, but letting them know you're available to start after the date you're getting back would make the most sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X