Confusion regarding names when booking trip to the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusion regarding names when booking trip to the US

So, I plan on going to the US in June, and yesterday I applied for the ESTA and got it approved. But I've become increasingly worried regarding how I should do when I book my trip. This is because, from what I've seen, many travel agencies say different things when it comes to the point where you're going to type in your names when you're going to book the trip. I understand it so that I should write all of my names, first name, middle name and surname when I book the tickets, which is perfectly fine by me, but when I did the ESTA application, it said that I shouldn't write my middle name in the application, so I didn't. It's all very confusing, and I'd really like to know if it's gonna be fine or not, since it will look different and such. I've heard you can be denied entry if something's wrong with the names, which would disastrous since it'd be the first time I visit my SO.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me some clarification regarding all this.

And I've searched for similar threads, but I haven't found any.
    "The road to success is always under construction." - Lily Tomlin

I don't know anything regarding ESTA, but generally in the US they want your name as it appears on your passport. I don't know if the omission of a middle name would hurt you, especially if you express that your instructions were not to write down the middle name. They're mainly just trying to make sure that you're you and not trying to dupe them. As long as everything else lines up it'll probably be okay.

Comment

If that's what the application asked for, then I wouldn't worry about it. I know traveling to the US is stressful, but I wouldn't over think it that much

Met online: 1/30/11
      Met in person: 5/30/12
      Second visit: 9/12/12
      Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

Originally posted by folclor View Post
        I don't know anything regarding ESTA, but generally in the US they want your name as it appears on your passport. I don't know if the omission of a middle name would hurt you, especially if you express that your instructions were not to write down the middle name. They're mainly just trying to make sure that you're you and not trying to dupe them. As long as everything else lines up it'll probably be okay.
        Makes sense I guess, thank you!
        Originally posted by Dezface View Post
        If that's what the application asked for, then I wouldn't worry about it. I know traveling to the US is stressful, but I wouldn't over think it that much
        Alrighty, true. I'll try not to overthink it, but that's easier said than done, but anyways, thank you!

Comment

If you got approved for the ESTA you can always go back in there and change things. But there wasn't even a field to fill in your middle name, so I didn't fill in my middle name either.
          I always added my middle name for my tickets and everything other (like the customs declaration that you get in the plane/when you pick up your boarding passes). I flew to the states 3 times now and it was never a problem

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
          First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
          Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
          Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
          Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
          Married: 1/24/2015
          Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
            If you got approved for the ESTA you can always go back in there and change things. But there wasn't even a field to fill in your middle name, so I didn't fill in my middle name either.
            I always added my middle name for my tickets and everything other (like the customs declaration that you get in the plane/when you pick up your boarding passes). I flew to the states 3 times now and it was never a problem
            That sounds really good to me, thank you!

Comment

I do the ESTA for my SO when he comes he to visit me. I never put his middle name on it, and he has not had trouble the two times he came to see me in USA. This last time was just a few weeks back. They will scan his passport and check his fingerprints too, so as long as everything else is good, he should be okay.
              "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X