What do you do for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do for you?

We all know LDRs are hard! And if you've been in one long enough, or any relationship for that matter, you recognize that it is important to have you time. Doing things for yourself is healthy and fun! It feels good too, and in an LDR its especially important to help keep one sane.

Personally, I've been working on one project specifically. I'm making a recipe book, complete with pictures of the food and handwritten notecards. I use an old photo album, and place the cards where the pictures should be and the pictures of the food where the description would go! (: My roommate once asked me why I don't just print out the recipe from the website. "It even has pictures," he said. I laughed, this is personal for me to have and my children after. Its a fun project, it passes a lot of time, and gets me excited for when my SO and I close the distance. I plan on trying all the recipes out on him, he's even put in a few requests. Although, essentially he was my initial inspiration for the recipe book, the project is all about me. I think of it as my Life Practice.

Also, I play guitar. I look up new songs to learn and spend hours learning and singing in my room. I have a guilty obsession with the show Vanderpump Rules, because I'm a server too, and I'm looking to move to LA. I also like to read, and write. I mostly read Harry Potter and books that I have, but there's a book sale coming up at the local library, and i'm going to hop on that like crazy. When I write, its not as often as I'd like, but usually its just journalling. And of course, I can't forget to leave out the shopping trips. retail therapy is good for anything! (: I like to scrapbook too, but that'll have to wait until we close the distance. too big of project to up and move. (:

All of these things help keep me sane. They are my little projects or entertainment that help get me through each day. Sometimes I use them as a distraction, sometimes motivation, and sometimes just what I need for me.

But I was wondering what other people do for themselves?
    Last edited by eeelaynuh; February 19, 2014, 11:54 AM. Reason: took out redundancy, adding info about my recipe book, and another snippet. (:

I'm always so busy that I wish I had more time to do small pastimes. But when I'm not at work/commuting or spending time with my SO, I take my dogs to the park or go over basic obedience training with them. I also go to the gym a few days a week and squeeze in a shopping trip on the weekends when time allows. When I used to have more free time I'd go out to the ranch and go horseback riding. It's very relaxing to escape the city and be surrounded by nature with just you and your horse for a couple hours.

Comment

I have made lots of recipe books for myself, never thought to make one for him. But then it would have to be in Turkish, because otherwise he would have to go translate what "yeast" is in Turkish. And I do need to learn Turkish, anyway... Now that is a thought.

For myself, I do yoga and meditation; I am part of a yoga centre (used to teach a little, too) an I am am member of a small meditaition group. The gifts/letters I make for him are therapeutic for me, and I get to work on my crafting skills.... I might take a crafting class that one of my aquiantances is having this spring. And I started work, which I kind of think of a my treat, since I was on sick leave for so long and I was SO lucky to get such an interesting job right out of sick leave! I want to prepare (by tidiying/organiazing the flat) to move to a bigger flat. I otherwise enjoy cooking, baking, reading and films, and travel... mainly to my so, but also other places. I used to like to shop, but money is not so good. I have become good at saving, exept I still spend money on books, otherwise I take pride in money not just dissapearing but that I can see where they go (especially when they go into visiting so).

Yes, I love hanging out with friends and learning new skills (the latest course I went to was a sort of communication course...something called Motivational Interview, relevant for my work). I am member of several NGO's and sometimes attend their meetings. I like to go to public lectures, we have something called a House of Litterature where the most interesting are held. I sing and bake cupcakes for church...and I have like a friendship cafe/gettogether with my husband, where we try to get all our friends who don't yet know each other to meet and possably become friends too. That was an idea I came up with when I was sick, our friends love it . It is nice to stay at home and still see a lot of people

And I want to become pregnant...but that is another couple of years down the line, and not just for me
      Last edited by differentcountries; February 19, 2014, 02:43 PM.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Ohh I just might steal that recipe book idea! That sounds so creative and I am already collecting recipes to make for my boyfriend when we are together again. A handmade recipe book sounds so awesome..

Otherwise the things I do for me.. well I like to crochet! And this can lead to me making things for my boyfriend or things for family or for me. It's calming and helps me feel productive too. I also like to write journal entries sometimes. I also watch videos and movies and TV shows sometimes to relax. When I find a good book then that's another thing. There might be more but those are the main things I can think of right now.

Comment

When we were LD he was heavily into gaming, school and I had (have) my photography business, painting, hiking and just in general being outside. Fresh air really is good for the soul

Comment

Honestly, I don't do enough for myself and it kinda sucks. I don't really have any hobbies that keep me entertained long enough or that I want to go back to...I go to the gym but it doesn't really feel like enough. I'll figure it out some day...maybe.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
            Married April 18th, 2015!!
            Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

I was busy befor starting my LDR, i have my own company and i do running competition. With my previous gf, who was my neighboor, i stoped running to stay with her. With my actual gf, who leave 6282 miles far from me, i can be with her while working and running.
              LDRs don't have only disadvantages ...

Comment

I like this thread

In my free time, I like to read, exercise, go to the beach, watch movies, play the piano, hang out with friends, expand my business, and play with my puppy
                Unfortunately, I don't have us much free time during the semester, but I try to find time for myself nonetheless

Comment

Let´s see .... I read, watch movies and series, I play piano, I am an active member of my church and I love to hang out with my friends I also love to sing and dance and play with my dog and tons of other stuff .... I´m really seldomly bored

Comment

I don't really do anything just for me.. except I got a dog he is my personal saviour and favourite thing to spend time on. But he is demanding. I don't really have anything for me for me. I need a project!

Comment

I sing music saved my soul once, and I keep going to it for more! I love planning and thinking how I want to expand my hobby into something more, it is something I never had before in my life - dreams for the future. I like walking around the city, especially early evening, music in my ears. Treating myself to something tasty (I'm so not the dieting type), watching something silly.

Comment

My hobbies are reading, gardening, chess, cooking, crafts, walking, and church activities. I try to vary reading from something fiction and fun to something nonfiction and educational. I also like to work in the yard a tad, so I'm not sure if I'd really call it gardening. I love playing chess with the computer and real people. In cooking, I like to find new recipes and try them. I have a collection of those photo albums filled with recipes I like, but they aren't typed and don't have pics! I know how to do counted cross-stitch, but I've not done it in years. One of my goals for this year is to start back. I also enjoy writing poetry, but I have to be in the right mood.

The best thing I do for myself when I am stressed from missing my SO is to fix myself a drink or glass of wine and go sit outside. In the day, it's relaxing to listen to the birds. At night, I love to look at the stars and watch for meteorites. It really calms my soul.

I have to confess I'm not doing this as much as I should. I spend way too much time by the computer. Time to change that!

Thanks for the thread.

Comment

I like this thread topic!

When I'm not working or working on school work, I enjoy reading, working out, and watching movies. I also attend church services and events when I'm not working and volunteer. I spend time quality time with my cat too.

It's harder to have me time when my courses get busier but I always try to read for at least 30 minutes before bed, unless I'm mega busy! I work out 4-5 times a week and it helps me relax, de-stress, and it's good for you too I write in a journal when I feel like it so some months there are a bunch of entries and others, there are only one or two. It's just a personal journal on my thoughts and things that are going on. Of course I get in some retail therapy too! I went shopping my last break and bought more things for my SO than for myself!
                          Our love story:
                          Attended the same high school 2004-2007
                          Dated CD: June 2009-July 2010
                          Reconnected: August 2012
                          Began dating LD: November 2012
                          Engaged! March 2014
                          Closing the distance: December 2015

Comment

It's nice to know that we're not all consumed by our relationships 24/7. When I actually get spare time, I enjoy going to the gym. It makes me feel great and releases a lot of stress. I used to have a lot more hobbies because I used to have more time for them. Sadly, I've fallen off with a lot of them because of a hectic work schedule, but I still manage to play tons of video games lol.

Comment

If or when I have a moment for myself I like to read fanfiction or do sudoku or watch cartoons with my daughter.
                              “We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.”
                              ― Robert Fulghum, True Love

Met UK 3.08.2012-5.08.12 ->UK 1.12.12-3.12.12->PL 8.02.13-16.02.13->PL 1.06.13-9.06.13->UK 3.08.13-17.08.13->UK 26.10.2013-02.11.2013->PL 30.11.2013-08.12.2013->PL 22.03.2014-29.03.2014->UK 31.05.2014-07.06.2014->PL 06.09.2014-13.09.13->UK 20.12.2014-03.01.2015
                              Closed the distance >21.03.2015
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X