Another helpful article on communicating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another helpful article on communicating

This story is written for husbands and wives, but it works for men and women rather or not they are married. I found some really helpful ideas for my SO and me. There are a few questions to use to jumpstart a conversation. It is harder in an LDR since we can't reach out and touch them, but we can get our guys to open up to us with some patience and tender loving care. Hope this gives you some good ideas.

https://www.leahheffner.com/how-the-...to-my-husband/

This is a Christian author, so you will see some reference to that. However, it's mostly about communicating.

There are definitely some very helpful ideas and tips for everyone! Thanks so much for sharing this, it's a great read, especially for those who may find that communication may be a struggle in their relationship at times.

Comment

Awesome article and very inspiring. Thanks for sharing!
      “We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.”
      ― Robert Fulghum, True Love

Met UK 3.08.2012-5.08.12 ->UK 1.12.12-3.12.12->PL 8.02.13-16.02.13->PL 1.06.13-9.06.13->UK 3.08.13-17.08.13->UK 26.10.2013-02.11.2013->PL 30.11.2013-08.12.2013->PL 22.03.2014-29.03.2014->UK 31.05.2014-07.06.2014->PL 06.09.2014-13.09.13->UK 20.12.2014-03.01.2015
      Closed the distance >21.03.2015
      sigpic

Comment

Good article. I really identified with the part of not talking over him, knowing when to be quiet, and really listening to him. When we first got Skype, I had problems with my headset, I could hear him, but he couldn't hear me, no matter what I tried. So for several days, until I got my new headset, he talked and I texted on Skype chat. And an interesting thing happened. I couldn't keep up with him, so I just listened. And he opened up to me, I could feel his honesty and sincerity, and felt his emotions in his voice. He joked about how he had the girl of his dreams, someone who would really listen to him, and let him talk without interruption. I told him that I would try to be quieter and listen to him more, even after we got Skype working properly. As time went by, I went back to my old habits, but I try to listen to him more, and catch myself if I'm interrupting him. But, it works both ways, because we are so often on the same wavelength, that if one of us starts a topic, the other gets excited and joins in, so we often interrupt each other, but stop and let the other finish their thought. I can tell he gets a bit frustrated sometimes, and I sometimes feel like I'm too much of a chatterbox, but when I ask him, or apologize for talking too much, he always says he enjoys my chatter, that he is fascinated by my way with words. And he is always so patient with me.

TWO HEARTS BEATING AS ONE, LOVE BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN...

Nothing Can Keep Us Apart, Safe In Each Other's Heart

Comment

This really struck something in me because I'm definitely the "talker" in our relationship. I mean he talks, and we have conversations, but I'm usually the one to talk about my problems, my goals, my [whatever]. I'm going to try really hard from now on to make it a point to let him talk!

Thanks for sharing

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AussieAmericanGirl66 View Post
            Good article. I really identified with the part of not talking over him, knowing when to be quiet, and really listening to him. When we first got Skype, I had problems with my headset, I could hear him, but he couldn't hear me, no matter what I tried. So for several days, until I got my new headset, he talked and I texted on Skype chat. And an interesting thing happened. I couldn't keep up with him, so I just listened. And he opened up to me, I could feel his honesty and sincerity, and felt his emotions in his voice. He joked about how he had the girl of his dreams, someone who would really listen to him, and let him talk without interruption. I told him that I would try to be quieter and listen to him more, even after we got Skype working properly. As time went by, I went back to my old habits, but I try to listen to him more, and catch myself if I'm interrupting him. But, it works both ways, because we are so often on the same wavelength, that if one of us starts a topic, the other gets excited and joins in, so we often interrupt each other, but stop and let the other finish their thought. I can tell he gets a bit frustrated sometimes, and I sometimes feel like I'm too much of a chatterbox, but when I ask him, or apologize for talking too much, he always says he enjoys my chatter, that he is fascinated by my way with words. And he is always so patient with me.
            That's a really good example. I can picture that happening with Skype and you trying to type text. Your example will probably stick in my mind longer than anything else I've heard or read about listening. I'm like you and get excited and want to join in. I have to bite my tongue sometimes to keep from speaking up. I'll think he's through talking, but he won't be. And, I really don't want to miss anything he wants to say!

Comment

I really enjoyed reading that. It makes me think about how I talk with my boyfriend and how sometimes if we don't talk much I talk too much when we do get a few moments to talk.
              My mom is always reminding me that being a good listener is key, and for me it always seems to elude me.

As the youngest of three I have always felt like I had to talk louder and faster than everyone else to be heard. And now, with one sibling moved out and the other constantly busy, I'm realizing my bad communication habits.
              I think I'm going to try this out and really let him open up, instead of asking him to haha.

P.s. did anyone read the comment at the bottom of the post about the woman whose husband kept getting pooped on by birds? It made me smile on the inside while also hoping that he wasn't too upset about it all! (*˘︶˘*)

Comment

Originally posted by blueorchid1 View Post
                I really enjoyed reading that. It makes me think about how I talk with my boyfriend and how sometimes if we don't talk much I talk too much when we do get a few moments to talk.
                My mom is always reminding me that being a good listener is key, and for me it always seems to elude me.

As the youngest of three I have always felt like I had to talk louder and faster than everyone else to be heard. And now, with one sibling moved out and the other constantly busy, I'm realizing my bad communication habits.
                I think I'm going to try this out and really let him open up, instead of asking him to haha.

P.s. did anyone read the comment at the bottom of the post about the woman whose husband kept getting pooped on by birds? It made me smile on the inside while also hoping that he wasn't too upset about it all! (*˘︶˘*)
                No, I hadn't seen the comment about the guy and bird poop. I went back and read it. It made me smile, too, and I hope he got the message that he shouldn't be so hateful to his wife.

Comment

Originally posted by piratemama View Post
                  No, I hadn't seen the comment about the guy and bird poop. I went back and read it. It made me smile, too, and I hope he got the message that he shouldn't be so hateful to his wife.
                  I hope so too!

Comment

Working...
                  X