Brave Decision, something crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brave Decision, something crazy

So I'll be seeing my gf in the summer for 4 months, 2 months in my country and 2 in hers.
    I'm currently studying abroad the other side of the world, and am planning on missing 3 weeks of lectures (and 1 weeks break) to go and visit her for a month.
    it is pretty expensive, and I will be missing class (not as bad as it might sound since I'm doing postgrad classes, so barely any lectures and lots of notes etc so I can hopefully work through on my own anyway).
    The cost is an issue, especially since we have a big summer planned together...

I don't know whether it's a stupid idea or not. I really want to see her, more than anything, and I think I can just about afford it, and afford our summer trip but then I'll have no savings left.
    I'm a bit worried about the academic side of things, but I didn't want to do this semester of studying abroad anyway (I've already done 6 months), I tried to go home but my home uni wouldn't let me unless I dropped the whole year. I think if I had to stay here another 4 months I'd drop out anyway - regardless of my gf situation, although obviously that makes it harder.
    I kinda feel like this is one of those moments when you have to do something that might seem crazy but you do it because your in love, and because it's way better than the alternatives.

To summarise for those who didn't read:
    I'm finishing a years study abroad and having a miserable time, thinking of dropping out.
    I can pay for an expensive trip to see my gf during term time for a month.
    I want to do it but worried that people outside the situation would say it's a stupid idea.

Thoughts and opinions welcome, especially from other people who have risked/sacrificed things for their partners.

Thanks

I've risked and sacrificed lots for my partner. But I wouldn't miss out on that much school. Especially since you're nearly finished and you'll see her during the summer.

Met online: 1/30/11
    Met in person: 5/30/12
    Second visit: 9/12/12
    Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

It does not sound like you are risking your studies for her sake, you just use her an excuse to not take your classes which you don't want to do anyway.

Your money is yours to spend.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I think that is so sweet that you want to see your girlfriend, but studies come first! Just get it done and over with then go see her during the summer. That's a lot of school to miss out on. Plus, wouldn't you want more money to do more things during the summer with your girlfriend instead of using it on 2 trips?
        Love knows not distance, time, or logic.

Evan & Megan <3

Comment

I gave up a lot for my partner, but I have never given up my studies for him.
          It's your choice, though, and if you're already miserable and want to drop out, then best of luck to you.
          I hope your visits go well!

First Met Online: October 2010
          First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
          Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
          First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
          Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
          Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
          Engaged!: June 1, 2013
          Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

I had gone to visit my ex SO last year and ended up missing 3 days of classes. The amount of work accumulated fast and I was barely able to keep up. It seems that there is still plenty of time for you to spend with your gf, without sacrificing your school. However, you are the only one that can make that choice. I wish you the best!

Comment

I SAY DO IT! Don't worry about what others will say.
              I know I was very worried about what my family thought and their criticisms. But in the end I knew that I would regret not going and doing what I wanted to do. It made me happy.
              In the end you should do what truly makes you happy.
              sigpic
              Met August 2012
              Official Nov. 18 2012
              Visited him in Italy August 8 2013
              He's visiting April 7-28 2014
              I visited: Aug. 26-Sept. 25 2014

Comment

take the 3 weeks of classes. Spend 5 weeks with the gf instead of 8. In the grande scheme of things, finishing up the coursework is going to pay off in the long run
                everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

I think you should stay in college and not visit her during college times.
                  You have a very long visit planned in the summer and while I understand that you want to see her, you have to think of the future. Not having ANY savings is going to make it harderor even impossible for you to visit her after the summer.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                  First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                  Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                  Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                  Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                  Married: 1/24/2015
                  Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

It's only 3 weeks dude, suck it up (said in a fun way of course lol) and finish your schooling.

Comment

People do crazy things for love! That's part of what makes being in love so fun! Its exciting and forever changing! Also, higher risk means higher reward! I've done some crazy things to see my SO, like avoid paying my student loans which in turn put me in even further debt, all for only a one day visit. but it was sooooo worth it. i am back on track with my loans now and have some amazing memories that will last our lifetime.

DO IT! (:

Comment

In my opinion, school comes first. Although I am willing to risk a lot for my SO, schooling is a part of what brings us closer to our future together, and that's what is most important to me... I know you want to see your girlfriend, but would skipping 3 weeks of school really benefit your plans of a future together?
                        started dating: 12/08/12
                        "i love you": 04/12/13
                        el paso: 07/24/13 - 08/05/13
                        montreal: 12/13/13 - 01/03/14
                        el paso: 01/05/14 - 01/19/14
                        montreal: 05/30/14 - 07/27/14
                        el paso: 07/27/14 - 08/18/14
                        el paso: 12/27/14 - 01/16/15
                        el paso: 06/02/15 - 08/17/15
                        san antonio: 02/04/16 - 02/08/16
                        san antonio/el paso: 06/03/16 - 06/21/16

Comment

Part of the reason I am in the position I am is because I need to graduate before I can move. I agree with alittlemind. School comes first because at some point you are going to want to build a future together and you should put yourself in the best possible position for that future.

Comment

My two pennies:

I dropped out of my degree (which I'd worked really hard to get on to) earlier in the academic year so that I could move to be with my SO sooner. Everybody said it was crazy and stupid, but I knew I want to be with him. I was also in a sticky situation where my studies would actually count for nothing in the US, so my motivation for staying on the course was not as strong. The decision was not made lightly, I took a long time to figure out the alternatives and eventually decided it made better sense to leave the course.

HOWEVER - whilst I was studying, I would never have considered missing class to go and visit him. He knew the score, too, and supported my studies. We had plenty of vacation time for visits. It was tough, and there were times when I hated being at university when I wanted to be with him, but it made sense for our future for us both to be adults and just stick it out (this was before I learned my degree would be worthless).

I think in this instance you should stay in class, three weeks is not all that long in terms of waiting to see your SO, but can cover a huge amount of work in class. But I'd also understand your viewpoint if you really felt you wanted to do something and everybody you ask tells you not to, and tells you that you're crazy. I'd caution against making the decision on an emotional basis. Think it through, do your research and planning, and then if it still feels right, go for it.
                            London girl, American cowboy. "Like a western Dirty Dancing."

Comment

I'm gonna have to jump on the bandwagon here--I definitely think it's wise to finish school first, and then focus on seeing your SO.

Comment

Working...
                              X