Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small update and change in plans

Long time no post!

Sud and I were getting ready to apply for the UK marriage visa to stay in the UK together until we had a bombshell drop today. I'm likely to be losing my job since the company i work for are losing money. My job makes a lot more than his does since i do more hours so now we cannot get the visa since you have to hold a job for 6 months and that period just passed - just my luck!

So instead we're heading to Canada on their marriage visa (which is 10x easier to get) since we have very little choice in the matter. And being LD again is a big no no for us if we can avoid it. His dad is able to set him up with a job and once i get my PR i can work too. Its a huge shame we cant stay in the UK but we kinda saw this coming.

Anyone here had any experience with getting into Canada on this visa? I've been doing a lot of research and looking on forums and it seems easy enough (although no visa is 'easy' as such). Are the Canadian immigration really strict about things or anything i should know?

I hope everyone is well - i've been keeping up with most of whats been going on!

Are either of you originally from Canada/have Canadian citizenship?

Comment

My SO is Canadian - should probably have mentioned that haha

Comment

Sorry, Xanahtas! I know you wanted to stay in the UK, but maybe getting established in your careers in Canada isn't such a bad idea. Maybe once you've got a few years in, you can look into going back home again
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
          Sorry, Xanahtas! I know you wanted to stay in the UK, but maybe getting established in your careers in Canada isn't such a bad idea. Maybe once you've got a few years in, you can look into going back home again
          Yeah i'm trying to think about it positively - theres a lot more jobs in Childcare over there which is great for me. It'll be difficult to get back into the uk but its definitely something to look into. Trying to think of it as a big adventure!

Comment

Sorry Xanahtas! I've been following you on Tumblr so I knew you were having troubles with the UK marriage visas and considering trying the Canadian one. Unfortunately I do not have any advice on obtaining any visa because my boyfriend and I are still working towards being able to have enough money for any visa and move. Your story is close to my heart though because of the UK/Canada thing and I wish you the best of luck! Canada is awesome and there is so much for you to see and do here, so I'm sure you will be able to enjoy it, and then look at moving back to the UK later if you want, but at least you will be together with your love. I really want to start doing some organized research on the visas and everything, but have been putting it off because it feels like so much work, and also so far away, since we both decided we had to go back to uni to be able to get good jobs to be able to move together, get the visas, and live together comfortably.. but it takes so long. I wish you all the best and I hope you two at least will be able to stay together, so going to Canada for a bit might be best, good luck!!

Comment

Bleh. Sorry to hear that It's good that you're looking at it in a positive light, and I'm sure you'll have a great time in Canada, even if that's not what you wanted initially. Good luck with the visa stuff.
              I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I found out i have been made redundant yesterday so it's all go go go for the Canadian spouse visa! A bit bummed about losing my job but so excited about moving to Canada too

Squeeker - Thank you! Canada does look so awesome and everyone i have told that i am moving have said how jealous they are because i get the chance to go so i look forward to it! And yes visa research is a pain and can get a little too much. I can always help out if you need it since i've become quite good with learning about them.

TwoThree - Thanks

Comment

If this helps any my friend is Canadian and her husband is from the US, after they got married and applied for the spousal/marriage visa they had to wait until the visa was approved before he could move to Canada, but he was able to visit for the length a tourist visa would last (which between the US and Canada is 6 months). It took them a little over 11 months before they got approved so they did the visiting back and forth until then. That's something to keep in mind when applying.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Riyko View Post
                    If this helps any my friend is Canadian and her husband is from the US, after they got married and applied for the spousal/marriage visa they had to wait until the visa was approved before he could move to Canada, but he was able to visit for the length a tourist visa would last (which between the US and Canada is 6 months). It took them a little over 11 months before they got approved so they did the visiting back and forth until then. That's something to keep in mind when applying.
                    From the UK you can move over to Canada after you apply and extend your visitors visa until the visa is approved You just cant work until the PR comes through but they're pretty good about letting you wait there while it comes through which is our plan and what many people do when applying for this visa.

Comment

I know nothing about international relationships....but good luck! Glad u r seeing this as an adventure!
                      sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Working...
                      X