Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awkward around each other?

Hi everyone,
    So here is some background information. Me and my boyfriend have been together for 2 years. We met online towards the end of high school for both of us. He has had more experience with girls than I have with guys since he is my first relationship. He is my best friend and knows everything about me and we know each other like the back of our hands.
    Unfortunately, due to college we do not get to see each other very often. It seems like something comes up or just school and work schedule gets in the way. I have seen him twice in two years and both times were very awkward. We had no problem talking to each other after about a day but it was as if he was too afraid to touch me and i was the same. I was scared he did not like me after all but he assured me that that was not the case. I finally made the move to kiss him and after a few drinks one night with a few of my friends he got a little more touchy but the next day it was back to being awkward.
    So my question is how do i make him feel more comfortable so we can act like a normal couple when we actually have the chance to be together? He is coming towards the end of the summer (hopefully) and i dont want to waste the time being awkward.

Thanks

Why don't you start off small by maybe a little hug. Then just start to play around in a flirty way give him a little push or poke him a bit. When you get each other laughing maybe hold his hand. And move up from there
    I feel somtimes Gettig them alone is Better then when you are out in public

Comment

If he isn't going to make the first move to be comfortable, you have to be brave and give those hugs and be playful with him, talk to him, joke, be casual and talk about the things you talk about when you are together. Remember you both are the same people you talk to online, or on the phone, when you are apart, as you are when you are together.

I know I was lucky with my first meeting because, although I know we were both nervous, he opened his arms for an embrace right away, and that made all the difference. I think the point is to remember they are the same person you talk to online. And even if he is more nervous, he is going through this long distance relationship with you, and long distance is not easy, so it's not like he will reject a hug or won't like to talk to you or joke with you. Maybe you can try and do activities together to lighten the mood, like cooking together or doing other things like that that are light hearted but active so you can warm up to each other more. Good luck and stay strong.

Comment

thank you for your reply and yeah We have not really had much time to be alone because my best friend is his sister and she normally comes down with him to visit. (haha she even comes without him to visit) . I believe this summer it will just be him so we will see how it is just the two of us.

Comment

Originally posted by squeeker View Post
          If he isn't going to make the first move to be comfortable, you have to be brave and give those hugs and be playful with him, talk to him, joke, be casual and talk about the things you talk about when you are together. Remember you both are the same people you talk to online, or on the phone, when you are apart, as you are when you are together.

I know I was lucky with my first meeting because, although I know we were both nervous, he opened his arms for an embrace right away, and that made all the difference. I think the point is to remember they are the same person you talk to online. And even if he is more nervous, he is going through this long distance relationship with you, and long distance is not easy, so it's not like he will reject a hug or won't like to talk to you or joke with you. Maybe you can try and do activities together to lighten the mood, like cooking together or doing other things like that that are light hearted but active so you can warm up to each other more. Good luck and stay strong.

Thanks for your reply as well yeah im just as nervous as he is and even when he was here i had to make the first moves at a kiss or holding hands. It didnt help that the first time we met in person he surprised me by working with my family and just showing up at a restaurant with us. We didnt have to time to meet each other without my aunts and parents watching us. But i guess i will have to braven up and make it less awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by Maghan94 View Post
            Thanks for your reply as well yeah im just as nervous as he is and even when he was here i had to make the first moves at a kiss or holding hands. It didnt help that the first time we met in person he surprised me by working with my family and just showing up at a restaurant with us. We didnt have to time to meet each other without my aunts and parents watching us. But i guess i will have to braven up and make it less awkward.
            Oh yeah I can see how it would be more awkward to initiate contact when you have family around. That's where my boyfriend and I were lucky when we first met we were the only ones, besides strangers in a train station who we didn't know, and then I met his dad after that and after we spent some time together first. I think it helps once you can spend those moments just the two of you, and it can help a lot when the first few moments you spend are you two alone, but if you can't do that then just trying to get some time alone soon. I can see how it would be harder to be comfortable making those moves when family is watching. Though you can start small and be brave and reach for his hand or lightly touch him or hug him even or just tell him some kind of joke or story or something. I think it can be hard to show affection around family, so I can see how it would feel more awkward if you don't get alone time. Hopefully next time you can get a bit more time just the two of you... maybe in a separate area of the house or yard or maybe you can go to a quiet restaurant or to the park or something.

Comment

Originally posted by squeeker View Post
              Oh yeah I can see how it would be more awkward to initiate contact when you have family around. That's where my boyfriend and I were lucky when we first met we were the only ones, besides strangers in a train station who we didn't know, and then I met his dad after that and after we spent some time together first. I think it helps once you can spend those moments just the two of you, and it can help a lot when the first few moments you spend are you two alone, but if you can't do that then just trying to get some time alone soon. I can see how it would be harder to be comfortable making those moves when family is watching. Though you can start small and be brave and reach for his hand or lightly touch him or hug him even or just tell him some kind of joke or story or something. I think it can be hard to show affection around family, so I can see how it would feel more awkward if you don't get alone time. Hopefully next time you can get a bit more time just the two of you... maybe in a separate area of the house or yard or maybe you can go to a quiet restaurant or to the park or something.

Thank you again and i am sure this visit we will def be able to get some alone time.

Comment

This reminds me of our first visit. I had to make all the first moves. He did quickly hug me at the airport, but nothing else the first whole day. I think I held his arm once when we were walking and he did briefly put his arm in mine or something but other than that NOTHING. We had the whole romantic setting from sitting in a jaccuzzy together in the evening, had a villa to ourselves etc. When we finally went to bed I was feeling really miserelable coz I thought that he didn't like me/feel attraction towards me. But finally before falling asleep he got a bit passes his shyness and turned to hug me which made me feel better. It was so reassuring. The next whole day went with me holding his hand lots when we were walking and looking at sights. His hands were in his pockets because it was cold but I put my hand in his jacket pocket to hold it. I think I said to him that he could watch the football match if he pays me in kisses
                I got one quick suprise kiss from him in the afternoon/early evening, but other than that it was all the same.
                Anyway in the evening after LOTS of drinks and we we sitting on the sofa. I blackmailed him into kissing me by stealing the remote and saying he won't get it back until he has kissed me. So that's when our first real kiss happened. He forgot about the remote
                The kiss was a really good one and we continued for a while
                I think after that the ice was broken. But he is shy and reserved and if we are with his family there's no kissing/touching infront of them.
                Nowadays it's luckily different with us. But this just showes that no matter how experienced a guy is, he might still be shy.

You are a really cute couple btw

Comment

Hey I just noticed your SO and mine are both from Utah random fact. But good luck with eveything

Comment

When my SO and I see each other in real life, the first day or two can be a little awkward, but after that, things are back to normal. How long did you guys have together when you met?
                    What helped us when we met for the first time (well, it was really the second time, but the first time after we showed romantic interest toward each other) was that we had one pretty long/intense make-out session (in his car -- don't judge me) on our first day together and after that it was like we had gotten the awkwardness over with. I'm sure if one of you initiates, the other won't mind
                    first met in 2008 -- started talking online again in 2011 -- decided to go on a date in 2012 -- actually started dating on our first visit in August 2013 --
                    second visit in February 2014 -- third visit in June 2014 -- fourth visit in September 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Ahava View Post
                      This reminds me of our first visit. I had to make all the first moves. He did quickly hug me at the airport, but nothing else the first whole day. I think I held his arm once when we were walking and he did briefly put his arm in mine or something but other than that NOTHING. We had the whole romantic setting from sitting in a jaccuzzy together in the evening, had a villa to ourselves etc. When we finally went to bed I was feeling really miserelable coz I thought that he didn't like me/feel attraction towards me. But finally before falling asleep he got a bit passes his shyness and turned to hug me which made me feel better. It was so reassuring. The next whole day went with me holding his hand lots when we were walking and looking at sights. His hands were in his pockets because it was cold but I put my hand in his jacket pocket to hold it. I think I said to him that he could watch the football match if he pays me in kisses
                      I got one quick suprise kiss from him in the afternoon/early evening, but other than that it was all the same.
                      Anyway in the evening after LOTS of drinks and we we sitting on the sofa. I blackmailed him into kissing me by stealing the remote and saying he won't get it back until he has kissed me. So that's when our first real kiss happened. He forgot about the remote
                      The kiss was a really good one and we continued for a while
                      I think after that the ice was broken. But he is shy and reserved and if we are with his family there's no kissing/touching infront of them.
                      Nowadays it's luckily different with us. But this just showes that no matter how experienced a guy is, he might still be shy.

You are a really cute couple btw

Im glad me and him are not the only awkward ones. :P but yeah i will have to trick him into kissing me more this time. and i believe we will have more time together since he is getting a hotel room alone. and awww thank you, its because of him that makes us cute and thanks for your replay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by itsjen516 View Post
                        Hey I just noticed your SO and mine are both from Utah random fact. But good luck with eveything
                        hahaha i noticed that too!!! and thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Anoulie View Post
                          When my SO and I see each other in real life, the first day or two can be a little awkward, but after that, things are back to normal. How long did you guys have together when you met?
                          What helped us when we met for the first time (well, it was really the second time, but the first time after we showed romantic interest toward each other) was that we had one pretty long/intense make-out session (in his car -- don't judge me) on our first day together and after that it was like we had gotten the awkwardness over with. I'm sure if one of you initiates, the other won't mind

Hahahaha i will make sure to take a note to make out with him in the car asap :P yeah i noticed after the first make out when he had a few drinks it was not as awkward as before. and we were together for a week the first time and 2 days the second visit because his grandma died and he had to go to another state. idk how long the next visit will be hopefully atleast a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Maghan94 View Post
                            and awww thank you, its because of him that makes us cute and thanks for your replay!!!
                            I think he, if asked, would disagree on that

Comment

Working...
                            X