Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torontonians... Got any work for the man?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torontonians... Got any work for the man?!

Those who live in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), or nearby, I have a question... And it actually has nothing to do with me, or I guess it does in an off way. I'm getting a bit tentative, because it is now less than a year and counting until I plan to move up to Canada for bare minimum a year (and maybe longer if the Heavens allow it) to be with my boyfriend and work on the SWAP program. While I definitely could find a place to live on my own, naturally my preference is for my boyfriend top have his own place before I move up there so I could move right in with him. The issue is, he's having THE hardest time finding anything that pays very much above minimum wage given his current circumstance (which is that he has no schooling beyond highschool behind him.) He was literally putting out job applications every single day and getting essentially no word back from any company he was working for out there. Finally he ended up having to rely on temp agencies just to get work. It worked well, and he's working now, but it's only until around October-December, and only minimum wage. Then we're back to square one again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is does anyone in the GTA (preferably Toronto, Mississauga, or Etobicoke) know of any good places that might be hiring for around the $15 an hour mark? It's getting hard seeing him becoming depressed because he doesn't feel like he's hirable at all, and he's one of those individuals who needs to work and keep active otherwise he becomes really under stimulated and really depressed. Given the circumstances, it would be tough for him to drop working and go to school, even for a few years, since I'm less than a year to graduating and as I said, I plan on moving up for at least a year via the SWAP program and I'm only eligible for that after I graduate for so long (I think less than a year after I graduate - I can't wait for him to finish school because then my window of opportunity will be over.) So he really, if he can, needs to find anything that might pay him well enough to live on his own - not necessarily well, but well enough.

Any of you have any luck with any particular companies, sites, etc? People from outside of Toronto can, of course, chime in with ideas as well.

Which particular job is he looking at? Maybe he should start finding jobs as a salesperson or at Walmart? I saw a couple of hirings at Tim Horton's at different locations, maybe he should look into that?

Other than that, I really think that going to school is the best option for him. There are 1 year certificate courses which he could take in colleges. It would really increase his chances of being hired because of his professors' connections to different companies. Also, the government of Canada supports people going back to school through the OSAP program. I believe that they also give him enough allowance so that he can focus on his studies better.

Comment

Originally posted by curious_gal518 View Post
      Which particular job is he looking at? Maybe he should start finding jobs as a salesperson or at Walmart? I saw a couple of hirings at Tim Horton's at different locations, maybe he should look into that?

Other than that, I really think that going to school is the best option for him. There are 1 year certificate courses which he could take in colleges. It would really increase his chances of being hired because of his professors' connections to different companies. Also, the government of Canada supports people going back to school through the OSAP program. I believe that they also give him enough allowance so that he can focus on his studies better.
      Thanks! I definitely have considered bringing up the one year certificate course to him, since it would line up just about right for me to go up to there. The issue is he doesn't really know what he wants to do or what his "interests" are, at least in the subject of careers. He doesn't know what he wants to spend his money on, and I guess I understand if he isn't dead set on a particular subject, and really interested in it, he shouldn't waste his money on it. At the same time, of course, as you said, he needs some sort of education behind him to really boost his chances of a job well enough to live on his own by.

Comment

yeah without schooling the best he could probably do would be $11 an hour and that's for door to door sales or marketing jobs where you are selling products. If he's good at selling SDIMarketing (https://sdimarketing.force.com/careers) is hiring and they start out at $12/hr plus commission, but that's for financial sales representative which is credit card sales (I did that job back in 2011 before I went home, it was good paying but a bit hard on the feet especially if they are still selling the CIBC credit card at petro canada gas stations).

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

I'd suggest construction and trades. There is a MASSIVE shortage and many unions in Canada are suffering because all their unionized members (trades persons with seals and training) are retiring. Construction pays well and he could discover that he enjoys working with his hands. Plus, they make killer money and there is always work.

Finally, many of the trades programs will pay you while you study or there is an apprenticeship that pays while you study. It's worth looking into!

Comment

Originally posted by digitalfever View Post
            I'd suggest construction and trades. There is a MASSIVE shortage and many unions in Canada are suffering because all their unionized members (trades persons with seals and training) are retiring. Construction pays well and he could discover that he enjoys working with his hands. Plus, they make killer money and there is always work.

Finally, many of the trades programs will pay you while you study or there is an apprenticeship that pays while you study. It's worth looking into!
            I think that's the path I want him to go through, maybe find an apprenticeship or something. He does enjoy working with his hands, I do know that - he did sales before this job, and he absolutely hated it and came home every day miserable. So while I know sales can make you good money, I just don't want him to be that frustrated. The current job he's doing is more up his alley, but it pays minimum wage. He does have a forklift license, but he's finding it hard to find a job that will let him on since he doesn't have any experience driving forklifts aside from the classes. It's like... How can he get experience if no one will let him, you know?

Comment

Working...
            X