Countdown to the (Long-Distance) Separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Countdown to the (Long-Distance) Separation

My boyfriend and I are in grad school -- he will be leaving for France for 18mos (we live in Florida) in October of this year.

I just joined this forum and am hoping this community will be informative in the coming months. Thanks, and any advice/tips on where to go in this forum would be great. Thanks

You may want to check out the international section, and the sections of gifts and communication tools.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Hi! Welcome, I'm sure you can find loads of helpful articles and people on this site when you need them. Enjoy all the time you have together until October and be strong through it all and especially when you are apart, and before you know it you will be together again. Good luck and stay strong.

Comment

Thank you for the information -- I skimmed through the international section and it seems like a lot of the couples met online, which is nowhere near my situation.

i will definitely be checking out the gifts/comm section, though!

Comment

Not all international couples met online, there are quite a few that haven't.
          However I would recommend the study abroad section, it's for couple who have their other half moving away for schooling, that might be more helpful.
          Regardless of how couples gave meet, we're all trying to overcome the same thing : distance.
          "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

The international section might still help a bit. I met my SO while I was doing graduate research in Guatemala, therefore making us an international couple. Don't write anything off just yet - I've found going from living in the same area to being thousands of miles apart, even people who I didn't think could relate to my situation still provided advice or issues to which I could relate. Before becoming long-distance I didn't check the site too much but it was still interesting. After, sometimes it's a great help. I think one of the best pieces of advice for once the distance becomes "real" is to keep busy and focused on your own projects.
            Best of luck with everything.
            When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
            no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

although i think i am completely open-minded, I think i prejudicially wrote off those who met whilst abroad.

I cannot believe how meaningful these few responses have felt, and i appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you!

Comment

With the Internet, Facebook and other Social Networks, etc. a lot of people meet online, who would probably have never met otherwise. The Internet is bringing people together from all over the world. Love is love, wherever it comes from. Here on this site, we come from all different backgrounds and we all have our stories to tell, and experiences to share. The common thread here is we all love someone faraway...and that can be very complicated, challenging, frustrating and lonely...as well as fun, exciting, and an adventure in learning to relate to someone who is totally different, yet somehow very similar, too.

I hope you will enjoy it here, and get whatever support you might need.

TWO HEARTS BEATING AS ONE, LOVE BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN...

Nothing Can Keep Us Apart, Safe In Each Other's Heart

Comment

Working...
                X