No announcement yet.

What does your LDR feel like? Why mine is the stomach flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP, I understand your reference. LD is difficult. It can be upsetting and nauseating and you just want it to go away so horribly...then you remember his/her face and how he/she hugs you and that thought is so wonderful it keeps you going. I like the marathon reference, as well, it's difficult and challenging but so worth the finish!
    When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
    no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

Explosive, chronic diarrhea :P
      Hot, painful, and seems like it'll never end!

Comment

Originally posted by katettttt View Post
        You are completely right. Sorry, I guess I should have explained more. It doesn't feel like that every day, maybe just today, or just this time around, or just for the moment that I wrote my post.

Of course, when I think about our actual relationship it's the best. Just like everybody said, I'm so lucky to have found him and am so grateful that we have been long distance and still held it together, when a lot of people can't. The relationship is the best. It's perfect. This distance is not, but it's worth it.

We only said goodbye for the second time yesterday, so the pain is still a little new and I'm throwing a bit of a pity party. However, last time we were apart while it was hard we made it through and it's not like every day was mopey and sad. Some days were great!

Sorry to bring everybody down with the sickness reference... and thanks for gently reminding me why the hard times are worth it
        The bolded part makes the whole comparison to sickness that much more understandable. Because the worst days at the days following a visit, before you get back into the routine of long distance. But I do agree with the others that comparing it to a terrible sickness was a little over dramatic I think. :P But I agree that it can suck a lot. And the cooking alone part sucks but you will get back into the routine of things.. you can practice your recipes or work on new ones that you can wow him with on the next visit!! It's okay to have the blah days sometimes and just relax and stuff, but then try and find new hobbies, work a lot, have a general idea of when you will visit even if you can't book the ticket and even if it feels so far away. Try and keep positive and remember what you love about your SO when you feel down about the distance. Good luck!

Comment

What about a Roller Coaster ride? It's TONS of fun but also kinda scary! Yeah, that sounds about right! haha

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
          Married April 18th, 2015!!
          Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mims27 View Post
            What about a Roller Coaster ride? It's TONS of fun but also kinda scary! Yeah, that sounds about right! haha
            I think this is my favorite/.the best comparison, also because with the roller coaster comparison you also have the ups and downs.

Comment

Originally posted by squeeker View Post
              Because the worst days at the days following a visit, before you get back into the routine of long distance.
              It's interesting that you say this, as my husband and I were discussing this recently! For him, the adjustment period back to being apart is hardest. For me, the middle part between visits is hardest because I have a routine and things seem to drag more. I definitely feel really sad right after he leaves and mope around for the day, but my feelings of "aaagggh when will this end?!" usually hit half-way to the next visit or so.
              In all the world there is no heart for me like yours.
              In all the world there is no love for you like mine.
              -- Maya Angelou

Comment

I don't know because I have always been the one to visit, but I think it is hardest for the one who stays. The one who leaves at least get to get back to the normal life, but the one who stays has had normal life and visit time merged, so it is harder not to be reminded all the time. This is at least true for us, exept I think maybe the time I visited him at home (with his mum), because to him that is not normal life, but remembering childhood and I think for some reason the mix of me + childhood memories were mostly pleasant to him. All the other times, it has been bittersweet for him to be around where I used to be. "The beach is empty without you" and so on. But that too has changed since we rented the flat together, it has been better for both of us because he sleeps better there (nobody else around) and my stuff is around him, and I feel less empty too because I have some distinct place I go back to, our little home. I sometimes wonder how I would feel if he were to come here (granted we get visa next time), take part in my everyday life and then leave, I imagine that would be very strange.
                I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
                  I don't know because I have always been the one to visit, but I think it is hardest for the one who stays. The one who leaves at least get to get back to the normal life, but the one who stays has had normal life and visit time merged, so it is harder not to be reminded all the time. This is at least true for us, exept I think maybe the time I visited him at home (with his mum), because to him that is not normal life, but remembering childhood and I think for some reason the mix of me + childhood memories were mostly pleasant to him. All the other times, it has been bittersweet for him to be around where I used to be. "The beach is empty without you" and so on. But that too has changed since we rented the flat together, it has been better for both of us because he sleeps better there (nobody else around) and my stuff is around him, and I feel less empty too because I have some distinct place I go back to, our little home. I sometimes wonder how I would feel if he were to come here (granted we get visa next time), take part in my everyday life and then leave, I imagine that would be very strange.
                  Since I've done both multiple times over the last 4 years, I can say that it's equally difficult to leave and to be left. Yeah, it's hard when they leave and you have the reminders of them, but it's just as difficult for me to get settled into our life together routine at his house and then get ripped away from it just to go back to my house.

I like the roller coaster analogy. But mine is like a little kid roller coaster because it's just little hiccups on the track here and there instead of dramatic ups and downs (and I like it like that).

Comment

Originally posted by Mims27 View Post
                    This was what I was thinking and Mims27 nailed it. It has it's ups and downs, it's exhilarating and sometimes can make your stomach drop out from under you......but when it's all said and done, it's the best ride in the park and worth it all.
                    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

I would compare mine to being invited to the biggest, best part of all time and not being able to attend due to work commitments.

This is because I am on a contract in NY which finishes in Feb 2016 so I can't relocate until then. So I'm invited to the party, but just can't attend!! haha
                      I'll be seeing you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussieabroad View Post
                        I would compare mine to being invited to the biggest, best part of all time and not being able to attend due to work commitments.

This is because I am on a contract in NY which finishes in Feb 2016 so I can't relocate until then. So I'm invited to the party, but just can't attend!! haha
                        I really like this one!

Comment

Being in a LDR is like trying to jump over a brigde with ropes attached to your back. You can make the jump, but somehow you will always be pulled back to the shore you came from. And if you cut the rope you can't go back... So you keep swinging in the rope, because then at least your feet can touch the other side.
                          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
                            Being in a LDR is like trying to jump over a brigde with ropes attached to your back. You can make the jump, but somehow you will always be pulled back to the shore you came from. And if you cut the rope you can't go back... So you keep swinging in the rope, because then at least your feet can touch the other side.
                            I like this one too. It fits for some.

I think for me, being in a ldr is like taking a walk down a dark road, just walking towards a small light you see at the end. You hope you won't trip and fall, and you hope you'll reach the end, even though it seems so far away.

Hope that makes since.

Comment

Working...
                            X