Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concerning Money: save for the future or buy plane ticket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerning Money: save for the future or buy plane ticket?

Hi all, I want to know your opinion on money matters. My SO and I live around 6000 miles apart, and just the cheapest return flight ticket cost almost US$1000, which is a lot for undergrads like us. He is visiting me in March, but it seems so far away that I'm considering getting a part time job and visit him in December. Where do you draw the line between spending for visits and saving up for the future? (We're planning to close the distance in May, or latest in September 2015).

I personally find visits to be part of the future. It helps us develop the connection and keep the connection in a relationship alive and determine if its a relationship we would like to continue to pursue.

However, why don't you save for both. Lets say you have $10 extra money that you can save. You can put $5 towards the future and $5 towards a visit. May not seem like much but that stuff adds up over time.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Comment

I try to save $100 every week. Half for the trip, and half to keep in savings.
      Personally, I'd rather wait until he visits in march and maybe aim for next fall if you want? But that's just me, and I like to have a stay amount of savings should something ever go wrong.
      With your plane ticket being so expensive, I would be trying to save a LOT for future trips.
      I'm saving.for visiting next spring or summer should everything.go according.to plan. XP
      This is all your choice, and if you can get a good job, I'd go for it. I have a part time job and next summer I think I'll look for another.
      "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

I agree with what LovingAcrossTheAtlantic said, save for both! I try to do that and it's worked out quite nicely if you don't end up saving enough to buy a plane ticket by December or whenever you book it, move that into your "closing the distance" funds and just wait it out till March!
        [CENTER]

first met: ~10.03
        became official: 28.03.11
        first meeting: 08.06.12 - 24.06.12 (jason in vancouver)
        second meeting: 18.07.13 - 30.07.13 (jason in vancouver)
        our first vacation together: 30.07.13 - 20.08.13 (cynthia in new orleans)
        third meeting: 14.12.13 - 03.01.14 (cynthia in new orleans)
        fourth meeting: 21.05.14-02.06.14 (jason in vancouver)
        surprise! 13.08.14-27.08.14 (cynthia surprises jason in new orleans)
        viva las vegas: 21.12.14 - 24.12.14 (c+j vacation together in vegas!)
        jason's 1st canadian christmas: 24.12.14-02.01.15
        my first mardi gras: 12.02.15-20.02.15

Comment

Saving up for the future (any future) is good and wise, but so is spending quality time together, strengthening your relationship and figuring out if closing the distance is the right thing for you. In the long run, a thousand bucks isn't that much (at least to me, and I don't mean I make a lot of money, far from it)
          I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I would say prioritize the visit, because visits are investments in your relationship. Also, if you cut down on expenses you can still save some money.
            I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
            - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I would think saving for both is important, but I definitely would be sure to have enough for occasional visits. That is an important part of your relationship, to get to know each other better, create memories together, and strengthen your bond.

TWO HEARTS BEATING AS ONE, LOVE BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN...

Nothing Can Keep Us Apart, Safe In Each Other's Heart

Comment

Thanks all for your replies! If I can find a job soon I'll consider going in December. I will try to cut corners here and there too, and excesses will go to saving for the future.

Comment

Right now I put every spare bit of money I have into seeing my SO. Once the time comes for me to relocate and close the distance (February 2016) then I will save up as opposed to seeing him every 2 months.
                  I'll be seeing you again.

Comment

Originally posted by thehappyhope View Post
                    Thanks all for your replies! If I can find a job soon I'll consider going in December. I will try to cut corners here and there too, and excesses will go to saving for the future.
                    I think that's a good idea. I wish you the best of luck!

Comment

My problem right now. I bought the plane ticket.
                      I am a low wage earner and it sucks. I am so confused and I feel really like sh** right now.

Comment

It's an investment in your future.

We were doing the merry go round of 90 days in and 90 days out for 3 years. I knew something had to change, so I maxed out my cards to find a way around it. Instead of going back to USA I rented a place in Croatia for almost 3 months and a place in UK for 2 weeks. We spent every penny we had at the time to do this, but for us, it was shit or get off the pot time.

We knew a month into it, we were done with the distance. He sold his car and found a new job in UK and we move there in 2 weeks.

If I had not spent that money, I have no doubt I would still be stuck in the 90/90 hell world. Sometimes you just have to take a gamble and spend the coin to invest in your future. I want to have savings too, but first, I want to close the distance. Then we will both work and save all our pennies. I also know what it is like to do it all right and lose it. I worked since 16 but lost all my savings to my failing business a few years ago. Guess what? I survived. You pick yourself up and move forward.

I would never not spend cash to be able to see my SO once I knew he was my future. We would rather live in a box on the street together than in a penthouse alone. Each person must make their decision, but I have found in life that if you prioritize the big things the little things have a way of falling into line.
                        "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X