Travel advice- Urgent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel advice- Urgent!

Hey guys, I am so sorry this is lengthy and confusing.

I’m British but going to Amsterdam for work for 4 days. From there I fly to Detroit to visit my gf.

So currently my dates and flights are

September 6th – London to Amsterdam
    September 11th – Amsterdam to London to Detroit
    September 15th – Detroit to London to Amsterdam

Here is my problem – I now no longer need to go back to Amsterdam and would be more than happy to leave London Heathrow on the 15th. My problem is luggage. I can’t seem to find anywhere online that is able to give a definitive answer.
    I booked through lastminutecom, which works similarly to expedia etc, primarily because they use lots of airlines and I could mix and match to find the times that worked for me best.
    My two flights the long haul Uk to US is with delta and my Uk to Amsterdam is with British Airways. I know they’re not connected in any way whatsoever.

I feel like I have two options:

1) carry on only
    2) If I can’t do carry on only (too many clothes!) then I hope and pray on the return, when I check in at Detroit I can make some BS excuse about why I need my luggage at London and they will only check it in until then but consider the fact that it might go to Amsterdam. In which case I have to be prepared for two extra flights. One from London to Amsterdam then come right back, Amsterdam to London.

For this reason… I can’t book my initial flight – September 6th because I don’t know whether to make it one way for just this date or return coming back on the 15th after I’ve found my luggage.

Ridiculous right? Can anyone shed any light?

Thank you xx

You best bet is taking the carry on only and shipping yourself the extra clothes. I have never heard of a single airline that is willing to divert specific luggage for a passenger. I have had to book a few flights I knew I was never going to use to appease immigration in the past, but never with the thought of them being willing to divert luggage. They put it with the other passengers luggage. You could also just buy some new ones when there, it is going to be expensive no matter what option you take.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
      You best bet is taking the carry on only and shipping yourself the extra clothes. I have never heard of a single airline that is willing to divert specific luggage for a passenger. I have had to book a few flights I knew I was never going to use to appease immigration in the past, but never with the thought of them being willing to divert luggage. They put it with the other passengers luggage. You could also just buy some new ones when there, it is going to be expensive no matter what option you take.

Most probably it will be fine, they will allow me my luggage at heathrow because they’re not affiliated with BA. But I just can’t take that chance unless I know for sure. I guess I’ll just have to pack a carry on and see if its ok.

Comment

Originally posted by S41r4 View Post
        Most probably it will be fine, they will allow me my luggage at heathrow because they’re not affiliated with BA. But I just can’t take that chance unless I know for sure. I guess I’ll just have to pack a carry on and see if its ok.
        Have you called your airline? The horses mouth is the only place I would trust at this place. Me and the SO were told one thing by someone that cost US over 300 dollars in extra luggage fees in Croatia. Don't assume anything when it comes to luggage and airlines, you are nothing but a number in a huge sea to them. They say they care, but most don't.

I don't know how much you fly but also really for 2 weeks, why do you need a checked bag? Make sure your carry on meets their standards but get the biggest one you have, Pack well, and really it might not be needed. Many airlines no longer allow 2 carry ons, so beware. They allow one carry on and one "personal item" which is a laoptop or purse, not a second carry on. I would again call the airline to confirm. I have also seen plenty of people stopped from boarding and forced to check a carry on. They have that right. I would advise to pay the extra for early boarding to make sure your carry on does not have to go under the plane.

I really don't know what you mean by "allowing you your luggage" and don't think whether it is BA or not matters. I flew Easy Jet, United, American, and BA through Heathrow so far and their luggage rules were all pretty much the same except Easy Jet hides the expense of luggage fees more than the others.

On an unrelated note, let me warn you that if you pick up your luggage and find it damaged you MUST go to a counter in the luggage area to report it, once you leave that area, they will no longer honour that claim.
        "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Have you called your airline? The horses mouth is the only place I would trust at this place. Me and the SO were told one thing by someone that cost US over 300 dollars in extra luggage fees in Croatia. Don't assume anything when it comes to luggage and airlines, you are nothing but a number in a huge sea to them. They say they care, but most don't.

I don't know how much you fly but also really for 2 weeks, why do you need a checked bag? Make sure your carry on meets their standards but get the biggest one you have, Pack well, and really it might not be needed. Many airlines no longer allow 2 carry ons, so beware. They allow one carry on and one "personal item" which is a laoptop or purse, not a second carry on. I would again call the airline to confirm. I have also seen plenty of people stopped from boarding and forced to check a carry on. They have that right. I would advise to pay the extra for early boarding to make sure your carry on does not have to go under the plane.

I really don't know what you mean by "allowing you your luggage" and don't think whether it is BA or not matters. I flew Easy Jet, United, American, and BA through Heathrow so far and their luggage rules were all pretty much the same except Easy Jet hides the expense of luggage fees more than the others.

On an unrelated note, let me warn you that if you pick up your luggage and find it damaged you MUST go to a counter in the luggage area to report it, once you leave that area, they will no longer honour that claim.

My ticket is booking to go from Detroit To amstersam. There is a stopover in London, I wish to not take the connecting flight to Amsterdam as I now no longer need to go there.
          Therefore I am hoping that when I check in at Detroit they would giveonly check my luggage in until heathrow. Then I collect my bags and re check in. but of course I wouldn’t, I’d just leave from there.

Comment

My ticket is booking to go from Detroit To amstersam. There is a stopover in London, I wish to not take the connecting flight to Amsterdam as I now no longer need to go there.
            Therefore I am hoping that when I check in at Detroit they would giveonly check my luggage in until heathrow. Then I collect my bags and re check in. but of course I wouldn’t, I’d just leave from there.
            This is most likely going to be impossible. They deal with millions of pieces of luggage a week. They cannot make exceptions or it would be a logistical nightmare. Your only shot is to call the airline and offer extra pay for some type of priority but understand they don't want people doing stuff like this. Many airlines sub out their luggage handling. They can also promise you from now to doomsday they will do it and then don't do it. You know how many times people take flights they are supposed to and end up with missing or delayed luggage? I did on my honeymoon, for 5 days, no luggage, it got lost in transit. If you put luggage under a plane, you are rolling the dice.

Your only way to know for certain is to ship your clothes or buy some there. I would suggest putting your work clothes in your carry on, with some unders and one pair of jeans and buying some shirts while there(Walmart is pretty cheap for stuff like that). I have almost a hundred flights under my belt and been flying close to 6 times a year , and I would just never trust my luggage on a flight I was not going to take.
            Last edited by Hollandia; August 21, 2014, 09:42 AM.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

This is most likely going to be impossible. They deal with millions of pieces of luggage a week. They cannot make exceptions or it would be a logistical nightmare. Your only shot is to call the airline and offer extra pay for some type of priority but understand they don't want people doing stuff like this. Many airlines sub out their luggage handling. They can also promise you from now to doomsday they will do it and then don't do it. You know how many times people take flights they are supposed to and end up with missing or delayed luggage? I did on my honeymoon, for 5 days, no luggage, it got lost in transit. If you put luggage under a plane, you are rolling the dice.

Your only way to know for certain is to ship your clothes or buy some there. I would suggest putting your work clothes in your carry on, with some unders and one pair of jeans and buying some shirts while there(Walmart is pretty cheap for stuff like that). I have almost a hundred flights under my belt and been flying close to 6 times a year , and I would just never trust my luggage on a flight I was not going to take.

But I won’t take the flight. So far this is what I’ve understood from my research – delta will most probably want me to collect my luggage at heathrow anyway and then recheck in for my BA Amsterdam flight – in which case amazing!
              But in case they don’t I would have to go Amsterdam. I think best case scenario is on the way there, check it in, that way I’m not worried about my luggage, don’t have to keep it with me etc and not worry about liquids. On the way back, keep the case with me.

Comment

But I won’t take the flight. So far this is what I’ve understood from my research – delta will most probably want me to collect my luggage at heathrow anyway and then recheck in for my BA Amsterdam flight – in which case amazing!
                But in case they don’t I would have to go Amsterdam. I think best case scenario is on the way there, check it in, that way I’m not worried about my luggage, don’t have to keep it with me etc and not worry about liquids. On the way back, keep the case with me.
                I don't think you understand my gist.

How far will "most likely" get you when you have no luggage? The ONLY way to assure you don't have a problem is not to allow it to happen. You are planning on doing something that is around their norm and want assurances you can get away with it. You cannot. You have to make sure with the airline it is possible or you are truly risking a chance it won't be and it would be all your own fault. If you don't want to take that flight, then why can you not remove that leg of your journey? If you have not booked it, then why not book what you really want to fly? Am I missing something here, did your company book that part? Sorry, if I sound confused.

Some other food for thought:

I also don't know if you understand that if you pull your luggage from a layover, that you will really risk the chance of fucking over your fellow passengers? Airlines know what luggage is supposed to be there and by you removing yours on a layover that you are already "checked into" you are going to freak out the airline and cause possible huge delays to the flight. They don't take these things lightly, and so now in their eyes they will have "missing bags", they could make the plane sit on the tarmac for quite a while researching this issue, it is somewhat inconsiderate to do, if you think about it. You really need to think about the implications and either avert it or let your airline know in advance.
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I agree, most likely isn’t enough that’s why I’m going to shoot for carry on only.

My tickets are booked, non refundable. I do not want to take the last leg of my booking. I think I will pack tonight and then work out if I even have a problem or if it’ll all fit.

Comment

I agree, most likely isn’t enough that’s why I’m going to shoot for carry on only.

My tickets are booked, non refundable. I do not want to take the last leg of my booking. I think I will pack tonight and then work out if I even have a problem or if it’ll all fit.
                    Sounds like a good plan. I would also think about finding a laudromat where you are travelling too. Don't use the hotel ones, they cost a ton, but around the corner we found one in London for 15 pounds a load. I suggested Walmart since you can find really cheap stuff that you give to charity when you leave. You can consider it a form of good karma and paying it forward.

Good Travels to you!
                    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hey everyone!
                      I would like to hear about your experiences with layovers.
                      Next thursday I am flying from Amsterdam to Philadephia and from there to Columbus, Ohio.
                      I wasn't really nervous until my SO said he was nervous... The layover kind of bothers me. I'm afraid I wont know what to do or where to go. Does anyone have any advice?
                      Thank you lots!

Comment

Originally posted by VeraRyan View Post
                        Hey everyone!
                        I would like to hear about your experiences with layovers.
                        Next thursday I am flying from Amsterdam to Philadephia and from there to Columbus, Ohio.
                        I wasn't really nervous until my SO said he was nervous... The layover kind of bothers me. I'm afraid I wont know what to do or where to go. Does anyone have any advice?
                        Thank you lots!
                        Layovers are pretty straight forward. The airports should have plenty of signs to direct you where to go to through immigration in PHL. That is my home airport in USA. It's a nice airport but the lines can be hella. Just look for signs for connections and then follow the signs for EU passports. If you have any questions, there are plenty of staff to direct you to where you need to go. One thing in Philly, they are crazy serious about no phones in the immigration area or pictures and this includes the lines waiting to get to border control. They can arrest you if you use either. Don't. After you get past the immigration and go find your gate you just relax till it is time to board the plane again.

How much time do you have in between flights? Make sure there is enough, you can call the Philly airport to double check of what the procedures will be and what time they suggest as a minimum amount of time to make an international connection. If they say 90 minutes and you only have an hour, call your airline. Most likely it should be fine but always good to check. Just like in any other airport, take your bags with you everywhere, even in bathroom.

I have done the international layover in Dusseldorf and Heathrow many times. You just follow the masses and the signs and don't be afraid to ask if you have a question.
                        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I always thought this was going to be the worst part of the travel, but it is actually really simple to find your way around. Look for "Connecting Flights" and you should be all set. When I am lost or don't know where to go, I never had a problem to find an officer who could send me the right way!

Going through security doesn't take up too much time, but it does take time. Whenever I flew through Canada, it only took me about 20-45 minutes.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                          First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                          Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                          Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                          Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                          Married: 1/24/2015
                          Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Working...
                          X