• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatives to "How was your day"

hey guys

straight to point:

Do you guys have any alternatives to asking "how was your day"

i think the old "How was your day" can get too boring/repetitive and sometime sound a little bit too uncaring and routine feels like "oh this is the time i have to ask how was your day".

Also, i dont know if you guys get this but the answer to how was your day can only be so exciting for partners/S/O who don't really know how to sum up their day.

the usual "it was okay", "it went good" gets a little stale.

I guess what i'm asking is, what is a better way to ask "How was your day". so that it can stimulate better conversations.

We usually say: "How are you"
    "How was work"
    If we know something happened that day or the day before we ask about that
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
      We usually say: "How are you"
      "How was work"
      If we know something happened that day or the day before we ask about that
      Same for us!
      Or also I start telling something about my day (Im a logorrheic person ) and then ask "And what about you? What did you do today?" "But tell me something about you" etc

Comment

It is important to know what happened, but also how SO feels about that/feels about things in general. Sometimes it is not much to say, so that is not the focus of conversation, then maybe it is more like I miss you, I dream about when we did x and y, I look forward to when we will do z etc. Or I might ask how his mates are doing, or his family.
        I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
        - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

You could try alternating it slightly to "What did you do today?" That way, there needs to be a response other than "It was OK", since that wouldn't make sense anymore Of course you could get "Oh, nuthin'", which is just as bad!
          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I always ask how was your day and then ask what did you do today? And of course I make sure to ask how are you as well.

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
              It is important to know what happened, but also how SO feels about that/feels about things in general. Sometimes it is not much to say, so that is not the focus of conversation, then maybe it is more like I miss you, I dream about when we did x and y, I look forward to when we will do z etc. Or I might ask how his mates are doing, or his family.
              I feel like a lot of these conversation starters can get very stagnant. Maybe its just my situation but S/O has a very dare i say 'boring' schedule. He goes to work at 8am and come home at 7pm, plays game till 12 and goes to bed. but i do the same, i just move the topic onto something else. ><
              Originally posted by Cristiana View Post
              Same for us!
              Or also I start telling something about my day (Im a logorrheic person ) and then ask "And what about you? What did you do today?" "But tell me something about you" etc
              I do the same thing! i start talking about my day because i know if i don't there might be a awkward pause lol. he doesn't elaborate on his day (is this a guy thing????)

Originally posted by Moon View Post
              You could try alternating it slightly to "What did you do today?" That way, there needs to be a response other than "It was OK", since that wouldn't make sense anymore Of course you could get "Oh, nuthin'", which is just as bad!
              i pushed S/O to 'explain more' his day which he did but he did say i was a meanie for pushing him to do it and that it was very hard to further explain his day (probably because its very repetitive)

Comment

Originally posted by Marmalade View Post
                I always ask how was your day and then ask what did you do today? And of course I make sure to ask how are you as well.
                i personally feel like how was your day and how are you are the same thing, maybe its me and s/o but we answer the 2 the same way haha. i can't ask 'what did you do today' on work days since like mentioned above, his days are super repetitive. i'm just scared of conversations getting very stagnant, you know the feeling of 'having to need to ask how are you' even though you know what his answer is going to be

Comment

I also keep an eye out for what's going on in the world, sometimes a "Hey, did you hear about xxxx" really makes for interesting conversations, especially being from different countries. I know that's not quite what you were asking, but I always ask how he's doing, the answer is ALWAYS fine And that does indeed get boring!
                  Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

We both are chatty, but me more-so. We usually start with How are you, how are things going, or how was your day/night (depending on time). If I know he was at a movie the evening before, or had gone to the football game, or to the pub for Karaoke Night, I ask him specific questions about that. And if either of us is having problems or decisions to make about something important, we discuss that. Even if we start out with I'm good, or I'm fine, we always end up with a good chat.

TWO HEARTS BEATING AS ONE, LOVE BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN...

Nothing Can Keep Us Apart, Safe In Each Other's Heart

Comment

This my personal opinion: if either of you are getting bored of having the same conversation it suggests that you both need to get out and do interesting things with your lives. When your life is buzzing with activities then you both will be excited to share the day's events. How do you spend your free time?
                      Met Online : July 2013
                      Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
                      2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
                      3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
                      Proposal : December 2014
                      Closed distance : February 2015
                      Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

Ours usually stars with "What are you doing" which allows the other person to talk about what's going on and then about the rest of their day. He travels around a lot for work where mine is pretty boring as I'm always in the same place. We never seem to run out of things to talk about (some of it because his family & friends have a lot of drama, which I have been starting to pull him out of) and can still hold conversations that last hours even though we talk every day.
                        To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Petals View Post
                          This my personal opinion: if either of you are getting bored of having the same conversation it suggests that you both need to get out and do interesting things with your lives. When your life is buzzing with activities then you both will be excited to share the day's events. How do you spend your free time?
                          OR: Maybe there is just nothing much to say about one's day. My fiance goes to work every morning and I talk to him right after he comes home. Unless something crazy happened in his store, there is nothing to say about his day and we usually skip this question, not because we're bored of it, but because it is a useless question to us.

I liked moon's idea of asking "What did you do today?"

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                          First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                          Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                          Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                          Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                          Married: 1/24/2015
                          Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

There are days in which I use the old "how was your day?" or "how was work?", specially when I know he's been working on an interesting project or so. However, sometimes I change it to "what have you been up to today?" or "what did you do today" But I normally use such alternatives during the weekend. If his answer is "nothing" I ask him: why so much? It makes him smile. :-)

I also ask about the stuff he ate for lunch at his company or what did he make for dinner at home. Sometimes from there we start talking about recipes we should try when we are together.

As moon suggested, keeping up to date with international news is also helpful. Every now and then we talk about international and local news. in fact, just yesterday I brought some german news up and he was happy to share his thoughts.

And well, you don't always have to start your conversations with "how was your day". You can talk about YOUR day instead, without waiting for him to ask. But for this, you should try what petals suggested: go out and do interesting things or whatever makes you happy that can provide something fun to share later on.

Comment

We don't say it that often.. we usually just start talking about things that happened in our days. I think sometimes I will end up asking him how his day was when I realized I just babbled on about my day before he got a chance to say anything about his day. :P We bring up news articles too.. I follow local news on my Facebook and he checks BBC news pretty often, I think every day but I don't know if he's kept that up (he probably has).

Comment

Working...
                              X